EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:49 AM   #46
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Jordi is right -- http://light.runbox.com/mail is a workaround for Webmail while we get the rest up!

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:51 AM   #47
puzzler

Another question: I am seeing new mails slowly arriving now... very slow, but we will see... what about the mails that came in during downtime... are they relayed by you or bounced - means relayed by 3rd parties?
puzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:55 AM   #48
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Messages that were sent to your account while we were down would be queued on the sending servers and will now be trickling in. No regular email should be bounced as a consequence of the downtime.

- Geir
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:57 AM   #49
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

IMAP.RUNBOX.COM - timeout
Dreambiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 01:02 AM   #50
Jordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
Jordi is right -- http://light.runbox.com/mail is a workaround for Webmail while we get the rest up!

- Geir
Thank youuuu Geir

Hope you all get a nice dinner tonight after all the BIG stress of this crazy day with the servers. I think some little wine will help to cheer it up

Jordi
Jordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 01:04 AM   #51
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Right, Runbox has been unavailable to me all day, from this morning through to now. That's all the business hours in the day.

I'm a 7+ year Runbox customer and generally like the service and the people behind it, but this is really not good. I don't see why this couldn't have been done in the middle of the night WHILE I WAS SLEEPING. Seriously. If this is such a big move and you're a welcome new customer of Copyleft and Digiplex, they should be accommodating for a one-time move to their site and services.

Now, my business day is over and I've missed out on nine hours of productivity. I can never get that back.
Dreambiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 01:16 AM   #52
jvaldez

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreambiz View Post
Right, Runbox has been unavailable to me all day, from this morning through to now. That's all the business hours in the day.

I'm a 7+ year Runbox customer and generally like the service and the people behind it, but this is really not good. I don't see why this couldn't have been done in the middle of the night WHILE I WAS SLEEPING. Seriously. If this is such a big move and you're a welcome new customer of Copyleft and Digiplex, they should be accommodating for a one-time move to their site and services.

Now, my business day is over and I've missed out on nine hours of productivity. I can never get that back.
So, yes, this outage is irritating. It sucks without a doubt. And it's throwing a wrench in my day as well. I think the objectionable part here is not the downtime itself but the minimal updates as we blew through the deadline.

However, really? "nine hours of productivity. I can never get that back"? Jesus, what a prima donna. God did not personally promise you uninterrupted server uptime during a major server move.
jvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 01:23 AM   #53
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
The problem was that the people at the data center we were moving from were only available today, during the daytime. Otherwise we would have had no problem working through the night since we often do that anyway...

- Geir
Old 15 Jun 2011, 01:25 AM   #54
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Yes, we will not accept IMAP traffic before we have Perdition working properly.
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 01:26 AM   #55
puzzler

Geir, when will

pop.runbox
imap.runbox
and
mx.runbox

work as intended? right now: still no joy in connecting that way!
puzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 01:32 AM   #56
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreambiz View Post

If you had the unfortunate IMAP/POP issue before the migration itself, then we really have wrecked your day and we are very sorry about that.

The shutdown of services started 1 hour later than planned, so we started at 11 and we have had http://light.runbox.com publicly available since 18.

It really is not good how long it lasted, but we have done a lot of changes for the better.

Kim
Old 15 Jun 2011, 01:36 AM   #57
Ascanius

Wanted: Customer awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaldez View Post
I think the objectionable part here is not the downtime itself but the minimal updates as we blew through the deadline.
Agreed.
Dear runbox staff - I'm angry and disappointed about the lack of information. Clearly, when you are to perform an operation like this, you have an information strategy in place, in case the plan does not hold. Which it never does; you've been around computers more than long enough to know.
Not communicating in this case is simply lack of respect to the thousands of people who rely on your service. Sorry for the harsh words, but I'm deeply surprised you weren't able to act more professionally in this matter.

Best regards,
Henrik
Ascanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 01:38 AM   #58
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
https://beta.runbox.com/mail is now up as well!

- Geir
Old 15 Jun 2011, 01:40 AM   #59
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
www.runbox.com -> regular beta.runbox.com/mail works now

Ascanius: Me and Geir normally does those things. We updated on twitter while we were working on the systems, but updating a webpage does not work very well. We should have linked Twitter from the status page.

Geir has also done some forum posts from the Data Center.

I left the Data Center 1 hour ago and started answering and updating right away.

Kim
Old 15 Jun 2011, 01:41 AM   #60
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
http://www.runbox.com/ and https://secure.runbox.com/ should now be responding normally!

- Geir