EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Sep 2004, 09:19 PM   #31
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Consider it noted, Jeremy.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2004, 10:47 PM   #32
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Hi Kander,

The poll is excellent, but I am only interested in 3 new features, and your poll requires me to register 5. This means I will register 2 random features just to get the 3 ones I am really interested in.

James.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2004, 10:53 PM   #33
vinmar
Essential Contributor

Does this mean the poll is active somewhere... or are you talking about the prototype?
vinmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2004, 10:56 PM   #34
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

I guess the prototype. I just clicked in the link that Kander mentioned earlier in this thread.

Having said that I got a "validate your email address" email which then confirmed my vote.

James.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2004, 11:27 PM   #35
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Hmmm... good point, James... I'll create an Empty field for that.

Please note that the votes from the Prototype are currently being logged into the database, but will be erased if/when this becomes a Real Thing instead of just a prototype.

--K
Old 25 Sep 2004, 12:21 AM   #36
Jaja

I have two suggestions...

1) It would be great if an option becomes available to specify whether to open links in emails in the same or in a new window. Now all links open in the same window, and it's quite annoying to press the shift button every time I click on a link in an email. But since others like to have links opened in the same window, it might be practical to add that option to the account preferences page.

2) When viewing an email, in the past there were the options "Delete and < (show previous email) Mailbox > (show next email)". Now Fastmail automatically displays the next email. I have my messages sorted on time received, so when reading and deleting emails, I have to start with the newest mail. I would prefer to start with the oldest, and have the previous (= newer) email viewed when deleting. I would love to see that option added to the account preferences page, too.
Jaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2004, 12:29 AM   #37
vinmar
Essential Contributor

^ On point number 2... if you're using the Basic screen you might want to try the Advanced screen. I think the option you're looking for is there.
vinmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2004, 12:33 AM   #38

It is if javascript is enabled (Ctrl-Space menu).

edit: Correction - javascript is necessary for the Ctrl-Space menu to work, but the feature (Do action, then go to) does not require scripting.
Old 25 Sep 2004, 01:06 AM   #39
Jaja

Quote:
Originally posted by vinmar
^ On point number 2... if you're using the Basic screen you might want to try the Advanced screen. I think the option you're looking for is there.
You're right, thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel T
It is if javascript is enabled (Ctrl-Space menu).
Hey, never seen this thing before. Thanks, this might come in handy.
Jaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2004, 02:03 AM   #40
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Point 1 added, as point 2 is already possible I won't include it.

--K
Old 25 Sep 2004, 05:04 AM   #41
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Kander: I voted, but when it said to click on the verification link, it was not possible to click on it, instead I had to cut and paste the link into the browser. Is this what everyone has had to do??

Thanks for setting it up Kander, it was a good idea, JSavage!!

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2004, 05:38 AM   #42
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Susan: Hmm. Fastmail should turn it into a clickable link... I'll add some code to make this work properly.

Edit: I just checked, and within the Fastmail webinterface it is a clickable link. I take it you're using a client of sorts, then? Anyway, a fix is on the way. I know what to do, but am working on a different project right now, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Do note that your vote will be discarded! This is just a demonstration of technology, a preview version. Once we go live I'll purge the database and make a clean start, to keep results clear from stuff like 'I wanted to vote for Feature Y, but that wasn't there when I put in my vote!'. I think I'll give this to Monday to gather more possible new features, and then we'll go live. By then I also hope to have a 'Results' view available

--K
Old 25 Sep 2004, 06:37 AM   #43
DarioMor
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
If there is enough interest for this I could set up an unofficial poll, outside of Fastmail, in which people can indicate their preference?

--K
YESSS Kander!!!

You are someone who allways help Fastmail users, this forum posters and the fastmail crew!!! If you make un unofficial pool like this, surely it will be, at least, visited by fastmail owners. And they usually have ears to customers oppinion.

I'm sure if they have an balanced indicator of what ther customers want, it will make difference in what they will make first.

I imagine some kind of pool to indicate what is "most wanted". The fastmail crew can indicate than what is "easy", "medium", "difficult" or "very very difficult" to make.

And if it is possible, to separate votes from Enhanced/Full account owners to te others. It will guide them to decide. Sometimes they will make something to catch more ney customers, other times they will make the people who give money more happy...

edit: typo

Last edited by DarioMor : 25 Sep 2004 at 06:56 AM.
DarioMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2004, 06:46 AM   #44
kander
The "e" in e-mail

I do see your point about the seperation between paid and free accounts... problem is there is no way to verify this (apart from linking the poll to FM's internal systems, which I doubt Rob and Jeremy would approve of ), and I am afraid people will be less then 100% truthful in order to make their future feature of choice seem more important. I'll need to think this one over before deciding, but for now it's definitely easier not to do it.

It's exactly how I had it in mind when deciding to make this, as sometimes Fastmail brings us features that a lot of people don't really care much about, while features that everyone is begging for are kept in the freezer for years. I'm pretty keen on getting that difficulty feedback from Fastmail before taking this thing live, but haven't contacted them yet as I wanted a good, solid list of feature requests first.

--K
Old 25 Sep 2004, 07:41 AM   #45
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
Susan: Hmm. Fastmail should turn it into a clickable link... I'll add some code to make this work properly.

I just checked, and within the Fastmail webinterface it is a clickable link. I take it you're using a client of sorts, then?

--K
Kander: I am not using any special client. I merely clicked on the link you posted and did it and that is what happenned.

I will try and see what happens when you have the final version set up on Monday. Thanks.

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote