EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 16 Sep 2004, 11:02 PM   #16
Gankaku

Bert that article's a keeper. Yow. The first paragraph is quite eye-opening!

Maybe you all outside the US don't know about Jared. Jared was a huge guy. He started eating at Subway Subs every day. He didn't get the meat/cheese/condiment laden subs, but instead chose wisely. He had two a day. He lost so much weight that he's now the (very rich) spokesman and advertising model for Subway.

You can see his picture here and read his story here. He was 435 and lost 245 lbs. They have stopped showing the initial commercial here, but he'd talk about his weightloss, and be on the beach eating a Subway Sub and the cute girl would come by and say "Lookin' BUFF, Jared!" haha

So not all fast food is bad for you.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2004, 12:52 PM   #17
RobinBeBe

Susan

Congrats on the weight loss!!

I myself have about another 85 lbs to lose. I lost 30 on Atkins, but then stalled for several months. I am now just watching what I eat, trying to keep the calories under 2k a day. Everything in moderation I will also be signing up with a trainer to get a good exercise program in place, and I think I will go back to WW.

Have you ever read any of Dr McDougalls or Dr Ornish's books? They are both advocates of a very low fat diet, and McDougall is a vegetarian. For me, that approach is a bit extreme, but I say whatever works for you

Keep up the good work!!

Robin
RobinBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2004, 01:41 PM   #18
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

No, I have actually followed Susan Powter the most and I have 16 different aerobics tapes I alternate with...

Good luck to you too!!

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2004, 10:40 PM   #19
RobinBeBe

I did her program for about 2 years...I lost about 30 lbs on it. I quit partly because I got pregnant with my second daughter (this was back in 93) and I could not stick with it again.

Does she still have programs out?

Robin
RobinBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2004, 11:22 PM   #20
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

The stuff I have I bought second hand at a shop, so it is not new, but has worked well for me. I have five kids and am working to get my pre-baby body back (atleast as close to that as possible)... I want to look great in bathing suits for next summer.

My mom ordered one of her books for me for Christmas which she had to special order. Susan herslf gained some weight back after having a baby girl with her second husband, so she is making new stuff but I haven't bought any of the stuff.... the 16 exercise tapes I have I bought at a second-hand shop for $1.25 per tape, and the 2 books I bought for 35 cents a piece... I want to look good but am not paying a fortune to do it. I cannot go to meetings anywhere for various reasons, one of the biggest being financially I cannot afford it, plus the transportation issues, and my husband really doesn't like it when I am not around watching the kids too much.. so I do it on my own, and I have a greater sense of accomplishment that way as well.

I now do a good hour or more of aerobics in the morning, from 6-7 normally, but sometimes as early as 4:30-6 as well(depending on my schedule), and then I go online for a bit, get the kids ready for school, and do a good walk(around an hour) and then I work out on my exercise bike too.... I would like to work in another hour of aerobics sometime and also be able one day to buy this pedal-pusher thing that you have under your desk so it is like you are walking, while at the pc!! It is around $50 so it has to wait for now, but I will get it one day!

Susan.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 07:03 PM   #21
teacher
Master of the @

I've just managed to lose 24lbs I still have another 24 to go, but I'll take my time. Did it with Slimming World.

Funny though, my doctor told me that I wasn't over weight for my age!
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2004, 07:57 PM   #22
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by teacher
I've just managed to lose 24lbs I still have another 24 to go, but I'll take my time. Did it with Slimming World.

Funny though, my doctor told me that I wasn't over weight for my age!
That is great teacher!! My doctor increased my allowance of weight for November, when it is the dreaded *40 number*....

Susan.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 11:59 PM   #23
DPW49

Susan,
I need to check out the posts in the off-topic lounge more often. I stumbled across the post you started about eating more healthy in 2004. On the very first line you said, " I didn't know what to name this post.Teacher and I were visiting earlier on another thread and I mentioned I had lost 95 pounds since March 17th "
All I can say is WOW..did you NEED to lose all of that weight ? I was really concerned for your well being when I read that.
But I'm sure you know what you are doing as you have a good head on your shoulders. I know that I don't eat the most proper foods that I should. But actually, I stay around the same weight all of the time, I guess for my height though I'm probably overweight. I just feel like when your time on this good ole earth is up, it's up. Have a great day..
DPW49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2004, 12:34 AM   #24
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by SusanUKF
That is great teacher!! My doctor increased my allowance of weight for November, when it is the dreaded *40 number*....

Susan.
Hi Susan --

I've said this before to others who are reaching the big 4-0: About 3 months before I turned 40, I heard someone say that the years 40 through 50 are some of the best years of your life. I just turned 42 and in the past two years, this has definitely been true for me.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2004, 01:34 AM   #25
DPW49

As I'm older than 50, I TRULY appreciate EVERY day of my life. Life has many hills and valleys, and so far I've been able to deal with them. Of course..had it NOT been for my having help doing so would have been impossible.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 01:45 AM   #26
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Thanks Chipper and DPW49!! I hope that I won't be too upset that day... it just seems weird, as I feel so young still!

Susan...

Last edited by SusanUKF : 22 Sep 2004 at 02:19 AM.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 01:52 AM   #27
DPW49

Susan,
I know you are going through some 'rough' times right now, but I thought I'd mention that my username is DPW49 not DBW49 . Not that it matters that much @ all. As long as you call me for a meal I'll be OK.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 02:21 AM   #28
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by DPW49
Susan,
I know you are going through some 'rough' times right now, but I thought I'd mention that my username is DPW49 not DBW49 . Not that it matters that much @ all. As long as you call me for a meal I'll be OK.
Oooopppsss!! Sorry! I edited my post to reflect the proper name! That is not the first time I have mad errors like that... Susan.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 03:07 AM   #29
DPW49

Susan,
Like I said before..it's NO BIG DEAL at all..