EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 29 Nov 2005, 06:13 AM   #16
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Chipper
Why -- MCA?
y naught?
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2005, 10:44 PM   #17
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
Why do those in the UK and elsewhere in the Commonwealth use the spelling "criticise" etc, but not the spelling "sise" for "size"?
This is not entirely correct; the unconditional use of 'ise' is common British English, but the preferred spelling in the OED is roughly in line with American English (at least it was).

It comes originally from the Greek, where it's spelt with a zeta, the equivalent of z. The other spelling is from the same source, but via French. In either case it is used in English to create a verb from another word. Probably the reason why the ise form became so popular is that it is more consistent. There are a number of verbs that appear to fit the pattern, that are only spelled with an "s", e.g. advertise.

Size is, of course, a red-herring, although it can be a verb it's clearly not formed from s+ize.

IIRC the old wordprocessor AmiPro had a tickbox that allowed the UK dictionary to be switched to 'ize'. AFAIK that kind of fine-grained control hasn't been taken-up by other spell-checkers. It's ironic that 'ize' will probably be forced out of British English by Microsoft.

Last edited by DrStrabismus : 1 Dec 2005 at 01:17 AM.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2005, 08:45 AM   #18
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Sounds reasonable enough. I looked into my own question as well after I posted it and found this in the askoxford.com FAQ:

"British spelling has always recognized the existence of variant spellings using the suffix -ize/-ise. When American spelling was standardized during the 19th century (mainly through the efforts of the great American lexicographer Noah Webster), the consistent use of -ize was one of the conventions that became established. However, since then, the -ise spellings have become more popular in Britain (and in other English-speaking countries such as Australia), perhaps partly as a reaction against the American custom."
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Dec 2005, 07:30 PM   #19
euroman

How are microscope cover slips produced? They're so thin and consisent in thickness? I can just imagine factories in china or wherever with myriads of workers wearing white gloves tediously packing them into the small boxes....
euroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2005, 05:32 AM   #20
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I saw a glass-blowing show. The guy blowed a big baloon of glass. It was so thin that it felt like cellophane paper - perhaps even thiner, but it was glass, and much thiner than microscope cover slips.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 01:48 PM   #21
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
I saw a glass-blowing show. The guy blowed a big baloon of glass. It was so thin that it felt like cellophane paper - perhaps even thiner, but it was glass, and much thiner than microscope cover slips.
Actually its really interesting how they do that! I saw it on tv one time. I'm amazed the bubble doesn't burst, and kinda wonder what would happen if it did - would it shatter or explode etc.
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2005, 11:12 PM   #22
Chipper
Master of the @

Here's a silly question I've always wanted to ask, but never have: Why do people ask me silly questions? For example, they are trying to link into the main office of the company, but we had a power outage so the central computer is down:

User: My computer's down.
Me: It's because of the thunderstorms -- the power's down.
User: But I really need to get online. When will the computers be back up?
Me: I'm not sure, as soon as Pepco restores power.
User: So you can't tell me when the computers will be up again?
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2005, 05:31 AM   #23
sterdeus

wow I'm late, but from the initial question about (sic) I think it stands for "said in context"
sterdeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2005, 07:59 PM   #24
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by sterdeus
wow I'm late, but from the initial question about (sic) I think it stands for "said in context"
That makes sense.

By the way what is custard made from, also blancmange?
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2005, 08:56 PM   #25
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Sic is latin for so.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2006, 01:19 PM   #26
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Has anyone ever felt a tiny bit squeamish at posting the 13th comment in a thread? I have to admit I notice it, although my birthday is on the 13th (not this month though)
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2006, 02:13 PM   #27
kchess79
Master of the @

I'm a complete and utter triskaidekaphobe ! I'll go back and post a fourteeth comment on my LiveJournal if it stops at thirteen. Silly, yeah?
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2006, 01:01 PM   #28
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Well heres a completely pointless silly question for you all (I'm very good at asking them I should add )

Ok so I'm stuck at the traffic lights in town today, and I notice somthing weird. The older traffic lights seem to have one light bulb, wheras the new lights seem to have like 50 tiny lights in a circle. Any idea why that is?
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2006, 04:53 PM   #29
btn
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Quote:
Originally posted by The Storm
Ok so I'm stuck at the traffic lights in town today, and I notice somthing weird. The older traffic lights seem to have one light bulb, wheras the new lights seem to have like 50 tiny lights in a circle. Any idea why that is?
Those tiny lights are LEDs, which last longer and use less power than a single large light bulb.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2006, 01:22 AM   #30
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by kchess79
I'm a complete and utter triskaidekaphobe ! I'll go back and post a fourteeth comment on my LiveJournal if it stops at thirteen. Silly, yeah?
In a somewhat related vein, I'm trying to remember what I did when my post count reached 666. I can't recally if I posted twice just to get to 667 or if I deliberately kept it at 666 just to see what people might say.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote