EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Jan 2019, 07:53 AM   #1
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

FM won't let me send a 10-second video??

Something about exceeding bandwidth? I have attached YouTube videos way longer than this 10-second recording of my dog. What's the deal?
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Jan 2019, 08:27 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

The most likely explanation is that you were trying to send a large email simultaneously to a significant number of recipients. Test, first, sending it to a single recipient to verify my theory. Then, if that succeeds, send to just a few recipients at a time, spacing them out with an hour's gap between.

Usually, people will only reach the hourly sending limit on trial accounts (where the limit is 125 MB per hour and 250 MB her day). For other kinds of accounts, see Limits on sending/receiving email in https://www.fastmail.com/help/account/limits.html

Last edited by BritTim : 23 Jan 2019 at 11:38 AM.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2019, 06:31 PM   #3
noclue

Thanks, Brit Tim. This answered my question. Indeed, I was trying to send my 10-second video to 12 people! I didn't know about those account limits, either. Very handy to know...

Old 23 Jan 2019, 11:45 PM   #4
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Why on earth would you send the video itself, to anyone?

It's on YouTube. Send them the URL.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2019, 04:48 AM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Why on earth would you send the video itself, to anyone?

It's on YouTube. Send them the URL.
First, noclue would be the first to admit that she is not technically sophisticated.

I am pretty sure the video is a private one she shot herself. If I was distributing it to friends and family, I would, indeed, upload it somewhere (FastMail file storage or Facebook perhaps) and send a link. When noclue has something that works, and does not understand clearly everything that is happening in the background, it is natural that she should stay with what she knows.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 05:16 PM   #6
noclue

It was a video from my phone, not YouTube. People do not recognize my iPhone address, and I don't want to use it, anyway. I want to send stuff via FastMail.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 01:47 AM   #7
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Ah, ok.

But... what you are doing when you "send it by Fastmail" is giving the whole contents of the video to them, and asking them to send a copy of that to each recipient.

If the video is big, or if there's lots of recipients, it's a wasteful way to do things. It's also quite likely to fail if the recipients' email systems are not willing to accept such a huge incoming email.

It would be better to learn how to upload it once to a fixed place, and then just send the URL (a link to that place) to everyone else.

I only use Fastmail through its web interface accessed from Firefox running on a pc. I could explain how to upload a file to Fastmail's storage from the web interface...but perhaps you use the Fastmail 'app' on your phone? I have never used that and don't know how to do it from there. But someone here must be able to explain it.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2019, 02:42 AM   #8
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
If the video is big, or if there's lots of recipients, it's a wasteful way to do things. It's also quite likely to fail if the recipients' email systems are not willing to accept such a huge incoming email.
It isn't big, it's 10 seconds (read the 1st post). For an one-off by a non-expert user posting it directly is much simpler than storing it somewhere.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2019, 06:25 PM   #9
noclue

Most definitely a "non-expert," Janusz! Meanwhile, I now have to do a new app password.

So I'll try to figure out how to close this thread...
Old 25 Jan 2019, 06:40 PM   #10
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Only moderators can close threads (ie make it impossible to add new posts). Just leave it as is, possibly unsubscribe from it.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 06:59 PM   #11
noclue

Thanks, Janusz. No wonder I couldn't figure out out!
Old 4 Feb 2019, 11:15 AM   #12
noclue

So now I'm getting rejected with a 2.34 video and three addresses. Something must have changed over the last year. I suppose I have to pay more to make this work? And oddly, I was allowed to send the same video with six addresses, but now not even three addresses are accepted. That doesn't even make any sense at all.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 05:22 PM   #13
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

1. Did you actually receive 3 rejection messages? Or simply the posts with videos disappear without trace?
2. If the former, could you tell us the reason(s) for rejection? That's some plain English text usually at the beginning of a more detailed (and technical) explanation? Something like "user's quota exceeded"....
3. If the latter, did you try to send a plain-text message to these addresses? No videos, no other attachments, only a few words of text.

Last edited by janusz : 4 Feb 2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 05:40 PM   #14
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
So now I'm getting rejected with a 2.34 video and three addresses. Something must have changed over the last year. I suppose I have to pay more to make this work? And oddly, I was allowed to send the same video with six addresses, but now not even three addresses are accepted. That doesn't even make any sense at all.
The bandwidth limit applies to all messages you send in a given time period. It is not a limit per message. I suspect you have been sending multiple videos each day, and that is why you are running into this issue.

As this time, you need to learn
  • how to upload you videos to FastMail file storage or some other file sharing site and send your correspondents a link rather than the video itself; and/or
  • how to reduce the file size of the videos you are sending.
To learn about what is making the videos big (in terms of file size, not just play duration) and ways you can limit the size, I suggest you read https://www.maketecheasier.com/reduce-video-size-ios/

Last edited by BritTim : 4 Feb 2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 05:59 PM   #15
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

You assume that noclue's problems are due to the FM's bandwidth limits, which may or may not be true.

And your method of reducing the video size is applicable to iOS only.