EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 4 May 2018, 07:56 PM   #1
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Email is not dead. But email IS changing.

There are over 6.32 billion email accounts accounts. This figure is predicted to reach 7.71 billion by 2021 which is a growth of more than 22% - Radicati Group (2017)
There are 3.7 billion email users worldwide who send and receive about 269 billion emails per day. - Radicatti Group (2017)

3,104,450,712 legitimate emails are sent every hour. - Internetlivestats (2018)

The number of email users is still growing. 72% of EU individuals aged 16 to 78 use internet to send / receive emails in 2017. Compare this to only 48% in 2007. – Eurostat “Individuals using the internet for sending/receiving e-mails” (2018)

https://www.emailisnotdead.com/
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 May 2018, 07:09 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Not sure why anyone thinks "email is dead." It remains the best digital medium for commerce and business communication. What other platform is so universal? You know most people have an email address.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:38 AM   #3
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Not sure why anyone thinks "email is dead." It remains the best digital medium for commerce and business communication. What other platform is so universal? You know most people have an email address.
The comparison is IM (wechat, snapchat, whatsapp, telegram) and SNS (facebook etc).
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 08:59 PM   #4
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
The comparison is IM (wechat, snapchat, whatsapp, telegram) and SNS (facebook etc).
Sure most people have more then 1 email account...but thing is they dont use it.

Especialy young people (lets say under 30) PREFER to use IM like WA,Telegram or whatever messenger it is they use. I realy have a hard time if i send an email to younger people...they seldomly answer..!! Or ask me to send an IM..! So that says it all I think.

What I said before and keep saying is that most people do NOT use email anymore as a daily communication...except maybe work related...and even that is changing!! In many companies more and more whatsapp/Telegram channels are very common even in Hospitals and city councils. Email is loosing ground thats obvious.

In Germany (were i also lived nearly 5 years) even plain old snailmail letters (or fax) are prefered above emails!! This is NOT a joke.

Email more and more is for older people...lets say above 50.If you want to reach younger people you gottta do it with whatsapp/Telegram or any other IM system. Email is NOT the way to go.

my 2 cents.

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 11:36 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

It depends on what type of communication you are doing. Sure, personal comms with people you know well, messaging works great, but even then there are a multitude of different ways of doing it so often you have to fall back to plain old SMS. However, if you poll people, including young people, how they prefer to receive communications from businesses, associations, clubs, etc. email is the big leader by a huge margin.
Quote:
72% of consumers say that email is their favored conduit of communication with companies they do business with. 61% say they like to receive promotional emails weekly and 28% want them even more frequently. - MarketingSherpa (2015)

70% of consumers find email to be their #1 preferred channel for recieving commercial messages - CG Selections "Nationaal Email Onderzoek" (2017)
Old 23 Jan 2019, 07:25 AM   #6
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

The Hot New Channel for Reaching Real People: Email
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2019, 07:33 AM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

At work here in the USA I use email constantly all day every day and rarely use messaging for anything work related. I do use regular old SMS and MMS frequently with family and some friends, but we also use email a lot. I do not know a single person who doesn't use email, making it the universal communication medium.
Old 14 Jul 2020, 02:22 AM   #8
da_xanadu

For a while I thought email is losing its usefulness because of the increase popularity of various messaging apps. But given the ease of use these days of email apps integrated in mobile phones, at least as far of convenience goes it no longer seems an issue. Emails are pushed to the phone and new mails appear nearly instantly with real time notifications if desired. I personally have been using email on my phone for receiving sign-in security check codes instead of text messaging and have not experienced a decrease in productivity in this context.
da_xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2020, 08:04 AM   #9
pjroutledge

I think the key difference (and source of endless frustration) is that the alternatives generally don't talk to each other.
Email and SMS have the one great advantage of being universal. You can write an email to anybody (who has an email address) anywhere using any email application and any email service provider. Runbox users can write to Fastmail users and Google mail users - they can even write to users of multiple unrelated email services in one message. Try to send a message from Line to a Snapchat user.
I also think it's unreasonable of people to expect me to install a specific non-universal app just so that I can communicate with them (with that one individual, because other people are using their different preferred services).
I can understand that each of these app developers wants their particular app (Facebook messenger, Line, Whatsapp, Snapchat, etc) to be the universal winner. By not inter-communicating with other services though they're effectively forcing users to install multiple apps and then having to try to juggle their communications and choose the right app depending on who they're trying to communicate with.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2020, 02:38 AM   #10
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

I tried for a while to use this program/service, but I got tired of people saying, "I don't have an email address", or "But I don't know what my email address is", or some equally stupid (for lack of a better word) reason for not wanting to use or even try it.

https://delta.chat/en/
Quote:
Chat over e-mail and head back to the future with us!
It's pretty much just an email client that looks like a messanger (misspelling intended) type program.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2020, 04:07 PM   #11
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour
Not sure why anyone thinks "email is dead." It remains the best digital medium for commerce and business communication.
Yea I love email and alot of people I know dont like to email anymore,.they think TEXTING (to thier phone) is better which I think is stupid........
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2020, 09:53 AM   #12
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Forgive me, but I tend to be suspicious of information like this - coming from what seems to be a one-off website, with a lot of vague, poorly written claims. Such as, "People prefer email for commercial communications" - compared to what, faxing?

The question would be, not how many people have email accounts, but how many use them as a main method of communication. Based on what I hear, I get the impression that unfortunately people - being lazy and poor spellers - by far prefer texting.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2020, 09:58 AM   #13
TenFour
Master of the @

As I stated before, it really depends on what type of communicating you are doing. Sure, a lot of personal communication goes on via text, but in the business and nonprofit world every survey shows that email is preferred and the most effective. Consumers also report they prefer commercial communications to be via email.
Old 19 Dec 2020, 04:52 PM   #14
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I getting hate SMS text messages. They are very annoying. That said, I do use SMS but sparingly. My primary method is via email. Most of those folks I communicate with are in the located in a different country.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2020, 01:11 PM   #15
botolo

It is unfortunately very true that email as a communication channel is getting less and less popular. I have a lot of nostalgia thinking about the good old times and the very first emails I sent on the internet.
Young people don't use emails anymore, they just communicate via Instagram, WhatsApp, etc. Even more senior people do not use emails anymore. My mom for example (she is 67) uses iMessage and WhatsApp all the time. If I need to send her an email for some reason, I have to ask her to check her Gmail account.
botolo is offline   Reply With Quote