EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Dec 2018, 06:50 AM   #1
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Trash auto purge

I have my trash set at auto purge 31 days but it does not work.

Do Fastmail auto purge once a week or when do they do it?

I have clicked save....several times.

I just want to delete some old trash not all of it, so I thought the 31 days would be a nice way to do it.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Dec 2018, 07:47 AM   #2
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

I have my Trash and Spam folders both set to auto-purge in 31 days, and it's always worked fine. I haven't noticed any problems with either.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Ok thank you.

Perhaps they purge them one a week, I just assumed it was done when you hit refresh.
Old 9 Dec 2018, 08:30 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Auto-purge and Purge Folder features

The auto-purge feature also works properly for me. Here are some details:
  • Each folder is scanned once per day for spam learning and auto-purge. So you need to wait up to 24 hours to see any effect if you add auto-purge to a folder.
  • If the auto-purge box is checked for that folder on the Folders setup screen, unpinned messages older than the set interval are permanently deleted. Pinned messages are not auto-purged.
  • But if the "Only purge messages marked as IMAP deleted" box is checked, the IMAP deleted property (set by an email client such as Thunderbird) must be set for the message to be deleted. You do not want to check this box unless you understand how this interacts with email client use.
  • Messages are tested for auto-purge by the date they arrived at your Fastmail account.
If you just want to perform a one time download and/or delete of old or large messages from a folder, use the Mass delete or remove duplicates link at the bottom of the Settings>Folders screen. You then do the following using the Purge Folder feature:
  • Select a folder.
  • Enter a date (as shown in the description on that page)
  • Optionally enter a size if you only want to delete large files.
  • Click Calculate Size. You will then see how many messages would be deleted and their combined size.
  • You can optionally download the messages described by the Calculate Size button as a zip file. This zip file will be sent to your Inbox.
  • When you are ready, click Delete Messages. The messages will be permanently deleted.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2018, 10:37 AM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
The auto-purge feature also works properly for me. Here are some details:
  • Each folder is scanned once per day for spam learning and auto-purge. So you need to wait up to 24 hours to see any effect if you add auto-purge to a folder.
Bill
Thanks Bill I will wait 24 hours.

I have 1800 + I just wanted to delete half of these but it means un ticking 900 boxes, so I set to auto purge at 31 days, then clicked refresh and was expecting it to work but now I know its ever 24 hours.

Thanks again...
Old 9 Dec 2018, 10:48 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
...I have 1800 + I just wanted to delete half of these but it means un ticking 900 boxes, so I set to auto purge at 31 days, then clicked refresh and was expecting it to work but now I know its ever 24 hours...
Please read the second half of my last post, Terry You can easily delete (or export) old messages immediately.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2018, 02:56 PM   #7
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Thank you Bill that was perfect.... I had no idea it was even there, also did not realise you could export I have been using thunderbird.

Last edited by Terry : 9 Dec 2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 9 Dec 2018, 08:47 PM   #8
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post

I have 1800 + I just wanted to delete half of these but it means un ticking 900 boxes...

Thanks again...
If you sort a display so that all the items you want to select or deselect are adjacent to each other, you can select hundreds just by clicking on the first and shift-clicking on the last one in your group. You can even deselect a subset within a selected set by clicking one of the middle selected ones and shift-clicking another of the middle selected ones.

(That's using the normal webmail interface. It might be different in an 'app' for all I know.)
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2018, 12:55 PM   #9
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Thank you....I have now set it to auto purge at 31 days, then hopefully I can forget about it.