EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Feb 2011, 12:42 AM   #31
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
And let's not make it seem like we all have to take college courses on how to click a DELETE button that has moved from the right side of the screen to the left.
Better yet, you can just move them back where they "belong" with the Swap location of primary and secondary actions snippet in your tweaks.css
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2011, 01:38 AM   #32
communicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfolson View Post
In the world of software, when something is "deprecated," it means its main feature-set, or even the entire product, has been replaced with something new/different/better.

See this Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation

Paul
My thanks to Pfolson and sflorack for educating me about a use of the word "deprecate" with which I was not familiar. I did not know that it had acquired a specialized meaning in a software-related context. Live and learn.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2011, 01:52 AM   #33
physci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfolson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by physci View Post
Also what fastmail may call deprecated, some of us loyal users endorse. So this perspective is a subjective impression and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It is how fastmail/opera chooses to administratively handle this that may end up affecting their business.
Not really subjective at all. When a company decides that its product is deprecated, it's deprecated. You may be unhappy with that decision, but it doesn't change the fact.
If fastmail decides to call the classic interface deprecated, it did so based on its subjective belief, opinion or analyses. That doesn't change the fact that some of their users do not agree with their decision based on their individual belief and/or opinion. A completely subjective perspective here.

It would not be subjective only if both the users and fastmail had different tactile factual evidence that disagrees with one another.
physci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2011, 01:56 AM   #34
physci

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
In the end, this is a consumer-driven service. If you want to jump ship because you really don't like the font used in the message screen -- that's certainly your prerogative. My frustration is simply that some people aren't being honest about their gripes, without giving the new interface it's opportunity to win them over (or at least allow them to generate constructive criticism.)
Just because some may not be expressive about their dissatisfaction with the new interface, it does not mean that they are not being honest about their gripes. While I was initially excited when I first saw the new interface, I found myself repeatedly going back to the classic one. Fast forward a year later: I now have 2 bookmarks one each for the classic and the new interface, and if I did some stats, I think it'd probably be 80:20 in favor of the classic interface. And for me, it's not just a font issue, but rather a number of factors influencing the overall performance, not to mention the slight (but significant) sluggishness in the new interface relative to the classic one. So yes, I did give ample opportunity for the new interface to win me over, and while it may have won you over, it failed for me.
physci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2011, 04:48 AM   #35
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by physci View Post
And for me, it's not just a font issue, but rather a number of factors influencing the overall performance
Such as?

Have you tried using a custom CSS to change the elements you don't like?
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2011, 04:49 AM   #36
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
Better yet, you can just move them back where they "belong" with the Swap location of primary and secondary actions snippet in your tweaks.css
We both know why I didn't mention that.
Old 3 Feb 2011, 06:24 AM   #37
ellentk
Essential Contributor

I have two gripes with the new interface: it's slower and I can no longer see how many messages are in folders w/o extra clicking...more than annoying to those of us with physical overuse issues.

What I like best is the improved search which looks in all folders.

I use the classic interface most of the time and the new one when I need to search.
I would be willing to pay a bit extra to keep the classic.

Ellen
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2011, 07:54 AM   #38
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellentk View Post
I can no longer see how many messages are in folders w/o extra clicking
Code:
/* Show message counts */ 
.messageTotal { display: inline !important }
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2011, 08:11 AM   #39
ellentk
Essential Contributor

/* Show message counts */
.messageTotal { display: inline !important }

thanks!

not sure where to put this though. i haven't used style sheets,
if that's where this should go.
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2011, 08:52 AM   #40
Sherry

Hi Ellen,

There are 4 steps with instructions for each step.

CSS overview

You can copy the code Pfolson posted into the text file you make on your PC.

Once you have a tweaks.css file you can always add tweaks to it later by clicking on the "details" link just to the right of the file tweaks.css.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2011, 06:15 PM   #41
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Thanks, Sherry. I should have included the Wiki link. That's what I get for posting when I'm in a hurry.

Ellen: Be sure to post if you run into any problems. Lots of people here can help.

Paul
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2011, 07:11 PM   #42
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

And this is EXACTLY why I like to see people post their specific issues with the new interface. Many of them can be modified, and there are many forum users here who can help with a custom CSS (myself included).
Old 3 Feb 2011, 10:16 PM   #43
Mystakill

Many of the rants with specific details either can be, or have already been, addressed with tweaks.css and/or tweaks.js. Regardless of the specifics of the complaints, show me another mail service who actually provides its users with a way to almost completely customize their interface to their liking without resorting to hackery like Stylish, Greasemonkey or other *browser* hacks. And no, Gmail theming doesn't count, as it doesn't address nearly as much as those two little files.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2011, 05:35 PM   #44
Drencrom
Master of the @

It has always been clear to me that getting rid of the old interface is inevitable. Sooner or later it will become obsolete and not worth being developed anymore. Apart from that the number of nifty options in the new interface begins to outweigh the habit, the favorite look, etc. of the old one so there is going to be a relatively painless transition.

However, we should have more than just the default stylesheet available to us! I for one do not like it, it is too bright! Come on, it's been two years. Before you suggest I use a custom stylesheet (this is not the first time I am having this conversation) please show me where I can find Infinite Blackness.

Also, I have always found (and always will, and yes, I've discussed it here as well) the following message extremely annoying:

FastMail.FM: Loading account...
Click here if you aren't redirected within a few seconds

Please get rid of it. And don't start with "well, the delay is there anyway, so what does it matter".

Last edited by Drencrom : 4 Feb 2011 at 06:22 PM.
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2011, 10:21 PM   #45
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drencrom View Post
However, we should have more than just the default stylesheet available to us! I for one do not like it, it is too bright! Come on, it's been two years. Before you suggest I use a custom stylesheet (this is not the first time I am having this conversation) please show me where I can find Infinite Blackness.

Also, I have always found (and always will, and yes, I've discussed it here as well) the following message extremely annoying:

FastMail.FM: Loading account...
Click here if you aren't redirected within a few seconds

Please get rid of it. And don't start with "well, the delay is there anyway, so what does it matter".
I agree that there should probably be more stylesheets available. While I don't mind modifying my own to suit my personal tastes, I can understand that others may not have the knowledge to do so. Still, IMHO, if the stylesheet you want hasn't been developed by someone else, I'd (personally) feel compelled to learn basic CSS modifying. It's not as hard as you'd think, because I understand it!

BTW, *technically* there are 3 available -- not 1. There are Standard, Minimal, and Concise.

Regarding the "Loading account..", it seems you already know the answer (even if you don't want to hear it -- hehehe). While the technical details are beyond me, it has to do with the the same delay experienced when using nearly all modern webmail providers (probably the AJAX interface?). Specifically, I've seen something similar on Eumx (OpenWebMail), Google, and Yahoo.

I recall seeing in the past that FM preferred a "loading" dialog over a blank page to ensure people knew it hadn't just hung up. I've disabled "sync folders on logon" which I remember helping the process some..