EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 30 Aug 2004, 05:25 AM   #1
ReuvenNY

Need help in selecting a laptop

I am planning to purchase a laptop computer. Ideally it shoul be 1 Lb, 3Gh CPU, 17 inch monitor, cost $ 250 etc… you get the picture! Unfortunatelly, machine like this doesn’t exist. So I need to copromise.
I plan to use it primally in one location, but taking it from time to time elswhere. My thinking has been 14.1 to 15 inch screen, WiFi ready, 40 to 60 Gb hard drive, 512Mb RAM or better, DVD/CDRW drive, not more then 6 Lb (or close). While price is important, it is a secondary consideration.
So far I came up with some units like:

HP Pavilion dv1000 - http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_Pavilion_...-31000131.html

Toshiba Tecra M2 - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1567424,00.asp

HP Compaq nc6000 - http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/HP_Comp...-30584605.html

HP Pavilion Notebook zt3380us - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...name=c00169925

Dell Latitude D600 - http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...&id=latit_d600

Sony VAIO® S150 Notebook -

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...puters_SSeries

Does anyone have any comments on the above machines? Any suggestions? Any input will be apprecieted.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Aug 2004, 05:51 AM   #2
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
If you've got money, get the Sony Vaio.

If you just want a good computer but can't afford the super best..

Get the Dell.

But never, under any circumstances, get an HP/Compaq. You will regret it.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2004, 08:53 AM   #3
Gankaku

I didn't buy a Dell desktop because of the price. (I bought from www.abspc.com). BUT...I did use a Latitude for work. Wide screen. Wowoweee. A superb machine. I was sad to have to give it back. If I could buy a laptop right now, that'd be the one.

I've never used the Sony. I suggest going to ResellerRatings.com and check out what people have to say about the top machines you're considering.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2004, 09:00 AM   #4
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
The HP notebooks are not bad. But the after sales services from the vendor seems to be something else....
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2004, 11:09 PM   #5
snsh

One issue with LCD is that more advanced is not always preferable. More expensive LCD's often have more pixels, but a lot of people (especially older people) prefer a lower resolution, and then if you mix a low resolution mode on a high resolution screen, it looks pretty rotten and Cleartype breaks.

I'm not a fan of unusual widescreen XGA modes, and I find 1400 SXGA+ and even 1280 SXGA too tiny for 15 inches. My preference is regular 1024x768 XGA like in the Tecra M2.
snsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2004, 11:18 PM   #6
teacher
Master of the @

At the moment I'm using a Samsung Laptop. Not really happy with it. The fan seems to blow hot and the battery life isn't that good. My daughter is using the Compaq Presario laptop, which is good for her needs at uni. I've heard great things about Dell and in the next couple of months I'm going to upgrade my own laptop to that make.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2004, 12:27 AM   #7
COUME
Master of the @

Be careful with Compaq and HP (since they are the same)...
At uni, in my class we were 14 to have a Compaq Presario, after 2 years:
- 2 mobo deads
- 1 CPU out of order
- 3 screens dead + 2 actually dying with poor quality picture...
- 10-12 battery lasting now between 1-5 minutes autonomy... (Mine is still 40 mins, since I'm very very careful and I do not use it often!)
- What else...
- erm and 1 Hdd dead...
These are the serious stuffs...
but mine also has its plastic cover which broke, and I'm very very careful with it I can't offer to make a new loan...
Another thing VERY VERY annoying, the keyboard send weird key outputs from time to time.. ie: _pc< (but like thousands of time, very annoying when you need to write a report or make a PPT presentation...)

So to summarize, in case it was not clear enought!
We all bought compaq thinking, it was a good value for money, but we are all very disapointed...

I will never ever buy a compaq or an HP, even if they improve their qualities!
About Dell, I heard quite good thing but once in a while someone seems to pick the BAD one and get lots of trouble!
If I had a brand to advise you, it's ASUS... They are not too expensive and very very reliable!

BUT no compaq

Ludo
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2004, 01:22 AM   #8
snsh

You might be happier buying a business version (Compaq Evo) rather than home version (Compaq Presario) of a PC. Maybe the hardware is made to different spec - I don't know. Business machines do often come with better tech support. If nothing else, they'll come with less unsolicited software preloaded.
snsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2004, 02:56 AM   #9
teacher
Master of the @

My daughter's Compaq laptop is two years old and "touch wood" never had any hardware problems.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2004, 03:43 AM   #10
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by snsh
You might be happier buying a business version (Compaq Evo) rather than home version (Compaq Presario) of a PC. Maybe the hardware is made to different spec - I don't know. Business machines do often come with better tech support. If nothing else, they'll come with less unsolicited software preloaded.
Good luck there.

I know a guy who bought a bunch of business compaqs, thinking the same. The computer literally was loaded with so much spyware, the employees he gave it to tried calling Compaq to get the CPU in it fixed, but all they got were connections to India and China. They couldn't understand a word the tech support guys said, and when they could, Compaq refused to do anything about it because the computers were still functional (They could stay on for about 5 minutes, then there would be a loud beep and the computer would shut down. The laptops ended up having to be trashed because the motherboards ended up burning because the power supply apparently couldn't handle being shut down so often.)

My advice: DON'T GET A COMPAQ. EVER. Get a Dell. Or if you want great power, get a Sony Vaio. We rarely ever get those in the repair shop. Great quality if you have the money.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2004, 04:31 AM   #11
mcowger

You deinitly want something with a Pentium M CPU (the Centrino CPU)....good speed, low heat, great battery life.

I love my Inspiron 8600.
mcowger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2004, 01:43 AM   #12
ReuvenNY

Thanks for everyone's input so far. At this point I am leaning towards Toshiba Tecra M2-S630 or Tecra M2-S730.
Anyone knows or uses any of these? Any comments or advice?
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2004, 01:46 AM   #13
mcowger

Quote:
Originally posted by ReuvenNY
Thanks for everyone's input so far. At this point I am leaning towards Toshiba Tecra M2-S630 or Tecra M2-S730.

Well, they both have low resolution XGA screen . I had a similar toshiba (not Pentium M based) with the same screen, and I felt it had FAR too little resolution - I returned it. Maybe you shoudl look at one of the Dell's with a hgier resolution screen in teh same size? The 600m has a 1400x1050 screen in the same size, and is a lot nicer to look at.
mcowger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2004, 08:13 AM   #14
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally posted by ReuvenNY
Oh. Good choice. Very good machines. I don't know about this specifiic model, but the Techras we had at work were good machines.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2004, 08:37 AM   #15
aznprodigy
Essential Contributor

Ohh..I have one of these.. I like it. It's very fast.
aznprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote