EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 22 Jul 2004, 11:34 PM   #1
AGSHender

Empty button on Spam folder?

Having a dedicated Spam folder to catch incoming spams for the new trainable spam filter to train was easy for me since I already had one as a place for Thunderbird to move messages it flags as Junk.

But one thing I'd love to see is an "Empty" button on the folder we designate as Spam so that I can easily delete all the messages in there without mixed them with legitimate deleted emails in the Trash.

Probably not high on the list of things to do given the work with the spam filter that's going on as well as whatever else is coming down the pipe, but just something to keep in the back of your head. Thanks, and keep up the good work!
AGSHender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Jul 2004, 06:14 AM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Yes. That would be very useful.

Actually, it could even be from within your "spam" folder since I'd probably want to take a quick scan over all the messages before delete them all. But I guess you still have the folder list too so it doesn't make a difference.

Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2005, 03:43 AM   #3
jbs
Essential Contributor

Reviving a very old thread here (that's what happens when you do a search first!!). Every time I "report spam" I think about how cumbersome it is to do so.

1. Check off the missed messages
2. Click "report spam"
3. Move to the Spam folder
4. Check off spam messages
5. Click Delete
6. Click empty trash

Here's something I've never said before, and will likely never say again, but AOL IS MORE EFFICIENT THAN RUNBOX AT REPORTING SPAM!!

In the otherwise-horrific AOL interface, all I do is check off the messages and click "Report as spam" and they are gone.

How often (anyone? anyone?) does someone really want to save the spam once they've reported it as spam. Having to chase it through folders like I do seems incredibly silly. Couldn't the "Report Spam" also permanently delete the messages as well? (you could make it optional so that more risk-averse users could still go through the 6-step process!)

And, per the origins of this thread, an "Empty" link on the spam folder would at least get it down to three steps . . .

Runbox folks?

--Jason
jbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2005, 04:36 AM   #4
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
The reason you wouldn't delete messages marked as SPAM right away is the same reason you move deleted messages to the TRASH first ... in case you make a mistake.

But yes, an "Empty Folder" button on the designated spam folder would be nice to have.

If you're using IE or Mozilla/FireFox, my Runbox Toolbar 2 has a Delete Permanently option. I haven't checked Opera in a while so I don't know if the fixed the issue that caused problem for the Runbox Toolbar 2.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2005, 05:41 AM   #5
jbs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by carverrn
The reason you wouldn't delete messages marked as SPAM right away is the same reason you move deleted messages to the TRASH first ... in case you make a mistake.
Yeah, that's why I said you could make it optional, though I'd be happy to take the chance . . . I've never deleted a Vicodin offer and then realized it was from my mom.
Quote:

But yes, an "Empty Folder" button on the designated spam folder would be nice to have.
Or, just have "Report Spam" move things to your TRASH folder, instead of your Spam folder. There's already an EMPTY button there!
Quote:
If you're using IE or Mozilla/FireFox, my Runbox Toolbar 2 has a Delete Permanently option. I haven't checked Opera in a while so I don't know if the fixed the issue that caused problem for the Runbox Toolbar 2.
Unfortunately, I use Maxthon (MyIE2) which, while wonderful and my favorite browser, does not support my favorite RBTB2.

--Jason
Old 15 Jan 2005, 09:59 AM   #6
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by jbs
Or, just have "Report Spam" move things to your TRASH folder, instead of your Spam folder. There's already an EMPTY button there!
So why don't you just set Trash as your spamfolder? Report spam always moves spam to Trash in all my accounts.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2005, 10:30 AM   #7
jbs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
So why don't you just set Trash as your spamfolder? Report spam always moves spam to Trash in all my accounts.

Liz
Because I want Spam that DSpam or SpamAssassin to go somewhere where I can check it.

But when I personally see spam somewhere, I don't need it to then go somewhere else. If I see it, I know it's spam. If DSpam sees it and suspects it, I still want to have the option of making sure.

I know, I could just scan through the Trash folder, but then I need to remember whether something is in there because I put it there, or if it's there because DSpam put it there . . .

--Jason
Old 16 Jan 2005, 01:56 AM   #8
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
An "empty" link next to the Spam folder shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm sure we can fix that next week.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2005, 01:43 AM   #9
jbs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Geir
An "empty" link next to the Spam folder shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm sure we can fix that next week.

- Geir
I know this seems like years ago, and it obviously wasn't something that needed attention during the chaos of the past week, but as things calm down, if this could be implemented it would be terrific!

Thanks!

--Jason
Old 25 Jan 2005, 09:52 PM   #10
edafe

Liz,

Never even thought about using anything other than a folder named Spam to collect spam.

All that changed the day I had to get rid of close to 30000 spam messages from a folder with no Empty button in sight.

Spam has been collecting in the Trash ever since...

Regards,
Edafe
edafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2005, 01:02 AM   #11
jbs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by edafe
Liz,

Never even thought about using anything other than a folder named Spam to collect spam.

All that changed the day I had to get rid of close to 30000 spam messages from a folder with no Empty button in sight.

Spam has been collecting in the Trash ever since...

Regards,
Edafe
WOW! How'd you end up with 30k spam in a day?

Do you ever have ham incorrectly flagged as spam? Is it then tough to distinguish between what you put there and what some algorithm put there?

Worth pointing out as well that you can either use Rich's toolbar or a special string ont he end of your URL to view as many messages at a time as you want, even thousands.

Hope the spam stream has slowed for you!

--Jason
Old 2 Feb 2005, 03:59 AM   #12
jbs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Geir

- Geir
Couple of weeks later, hoping things have calmed down some . . . is this still an easy fix?
Old 2 Feb 2005, 08:07 PM   #13
edafe

jbs,

The messages had accumulated in an account that had been sitting idle for the best part of one year.
Spam is still coming in at a rate of about 100 messages a day.

I guess it is safe to say that next time I go for a different sort of username...

Edafe
edafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 12:34 AM   #14
Gnome

I would never auto-reject spam, or move it right to the trash. I want to give it a once over for false positives before I delete them.

I like the idea of an "Empty" button for the spam folder, and would like it to do the following:
1) Move messages to the trash.
2) Mark them as "Read".
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 01:58 AM   #15
AGSHender

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnome
I would never auto-reject spam, or move it right to the trash. I want to give it a once over for false positives before I delete them.

I like the idea of an "Empty" button for the spam folder, and would like it to do the following:
1) Move messages to the trash.
2) Mark them as "Read".
I'd still prefer that the Empty button permanently delete Spam rather than moving it to the Trash. When I delete a message from my inbox, I hold it in the Trash for usually about a month before I empty it--mostly just to get it out of my Inbox. I'd prefer not to mix spam and regular messages under any circumstances.

If something's been marked as spam and I delete it, I don't want it around anymore. The fact that A) it's been marked as spam, B) I'm confirmed that it's spam by not training it as "not spam", and then C) deleted it should mean automatic deletion when the folder is emptied. If you accidently delete something you didn't mean to, you've had three opportunities to change its status already.
AGSHender is offline   Reply With Quote