EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Jan 2011, 08:06 AM   #1
stuart

Website can't send emails to its domain name for which email is managed by Fastmail

I have a domain whose email is handled by Fastmail and for which the website is hosted elsewhere. The site has a contact form which users can use to send email to me, the webmaster. It all used to work fine, but I just discovered that the contact form emails were no longer being received.

I solved the problem by changing the TO address in the emails that are sent by the site: Emails with TO addresses matching the site domain name, like webmaster@mysite.com, were not getting through, but when configured to my Fastmail address, the emails did get through.

I have edited this post because I now have my doubts that this is a Fastmail issue. I thought it was to do with the Sender Policy Framework (SPF), but I now suspect the issue is on the web hosting side. However, if anyone has any ideas on what the problem is, I'd be pleased to hear them.

Last edited by stuart : 2 Jan 2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Incorrect explanation of the issue.
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Jan 2011, 06:29 AM   #2
stuart

The problem was with the hosting service. Email addressed to the same domain as that of the site, was being routed internally. The MX records - which would have told the web server to use Fastmail for managing emails - were being ignored in this instance. Unfortunately there was no easy way to force the server to route emails externally, but some tinkering under the hood did lead to a solution.
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote