EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 8 Apr 2008, 10:30 PM   #1
theog
= Permanently banned =

Gmail being throttled, blocked by some anti-spam vendors

Quote:
Have you had problems receiving e-mail from Gmail users recently? If so, you're one of thousands. Over the past month, major anti-spam vendors have had to apply scrutiny to Gmail in a way they haven't had to before, and the result is reduced delivery performance and sometimes outright blocking of Gmail. Some messaging hosts are being instructed to reject SMTP connections from Google. Ars Technica has independently confirmed this.

It all began when Google's bot-busting CAPTCHA for Gmail was defeated sometime in February. According to sources around the anti-spam industry, the result has been a marked increase in spam originating from Gmail SMTP servers. Some say the spam increase started even earlier, but all are in agreement on one thing: this is a serious problem.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...m-vendors.html
theog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Apr 2008, 02:48 AM   #2
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

it's probably not particularly relevant to the topic, but I think AOL is quietly becoming the best of the "big" services.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2008, 03:23 AM   #3
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen View Post
it's probably not particularly relevant to the topic, but I think AOL is quietly becoming the best of the "big" services.
You could argue that what is happening to google could happen to any of the "big" services... and might have already.

Sooner or later, we will have to focus on the real issue... the people behind the crime. Of course though, it is fashionable to look the other way when it is google, or laugh and say how bad MS is when it happens to MS.
Old 9 Apr 2008, 05:54 AM   #4
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by theog View Post
Sooner or later, we will have to focus on the real issue... the people behind the crime.
...until the next group of criminals comes along, and the next, and the next...
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2008, 06:36 AM   #5
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen View Post
...until the next group of criminals comes along, and the next, and the next...
what's needed are tools for law enforcement to manage the huge amount of data that can lead to cyber criminals, and to collaborate and efficiently pass information between jurisdictions for this purpose. Spam is sent because people are making lots of money sending spam. Most of the needed evidence is in the huge amounts of spam, but almost all of these are discarded. Botnets are used to send spam and also can do such things as connect to Gmail from millions of different locations to create accounts. But when a PC that's part of a botnet is scanned for malware and it is detected it is almost always removed without leaving a trace and any evidence it could provide is lost. I one's house is broken into one doesn't touch anything and calls the police to gather evidence. When one's PC is broken into one removes all traces of evidence from the scene of the crime, and one doesn't even dream about letting the cops investigate the scene of the crime.

Gmail would just have to find better ways to monitor its system for abuse. I already see lots of spammers using gmail as a drop box (that is advertising an email address as a conract address in spam they send. the fact that they keep using the same Gmail mailboxes in subsequent spam messages suggests that it works for them and Gmail doesn't monitor such abuse. Perhaps they will now need to be more active in preventing abuse of their system.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2008, 08:01 AM   #6
migo

So this would suggest that privacy concerns are unwarranted. If Google were looking through our personal email then they'd also be looking through that of the spammers and doing something about it.

Another question, as I'm mulling using Google Apps with my own domain, will this SMTP problem still be there if I'm using my own domain or wil my domain also be usable as an SMTP server?
migo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2008, 06:50 PM   #7
drew
The "e" in e-mail

I'm a noob so don't trust my advice but many years of using smtp tells me that it is the ISP that decide on it unless you use alternative ports to go out like 587 and 465.

But some ISP monitor them too. Sometimes port 26 works or 3535.

So hopefully somebody good at setting up smtp and google apps could give you reliable advice.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:29 AM   #8
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
So far I have no problem with Gmail. Since Gmail is still beta I am sure they will improve the system to reduce spamming activities.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2008, 01:30 AM   #9
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Since Gmail is still beta
Gmail has been in beta for 100 years now... it will be in beta for 100 more. The beta tag is nothing more than a good escape route when things go wrong. If google were an honest company they would have been out of beta a long time ago.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 01:34 AM   #10
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by migo View Post
So this would suggest that privacy concerns are unwarranted. If Google were looking through our personal email then they'd also be looking through that of the spammers and doing something about it.
It is sorta true... I joke around about google reading your email... they do read your email, but only to the point to serve up ads. Even then, they don't read enough, because the ads I see are never directly associated with the email. The system they have sucks badly.

Far as spammers... think we are talking about sending email... I'm not sure if anyone suggested that google reads your outgoing email.

But the volume of email sent and recieved everyday makes the notion that a person at google reads your particular inbox absurd. I have a feeling no one on this board is that special (including yours truely).
Old 17 Apr 2008, 01:54 AM   #11
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by theog View Post
Gmail has been in beta for 100 years now... it will be in beta for 100 more. The beta tag is nothing more than a good escape route when things go wrong. If google were an honest company they would have been out of beta a long time ago.
Heheh, I'm seriously considering to ask Edwin that he change my Master of the @ title to instead be

Drew is on Beta. Read his views with caution. Still buggy.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote