EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 20 Apr 2008, 11:53 PM   #16
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Where is the address to login to Zimbra at Eumx, I can't find it mentioned on the homepage when I thought it would be there if available which is most odd.

Anyway, I haven't personally logged into gmx for a little while, after the problkems I'm having with my main domain for email sending maybe I should try them instead for mobile access email.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 12:13 AM   #17
Merovingian
Master of the @

jdtaylor, the address for eumx's zimbra is https://www.eumx.org . It won't be your normal user name and password, however.

I asked eumx support if they would make a test account for me, as zimbra is still very early testing (it just went live last weekend). They provided a new account with eumx.org domain, which is completely separate than my eumx.net / eumx.eu account.

I would suggest asking eumx support to see if they will help out.

cheers!

p.s. I am very impressed with eumx support and generosity, evidenced by this.....
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2008, 02:28 AM   #18
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Surprising that my broswer treat EUMX as if Swedish.

Quote:
Du använder den avancerade klienten. Klicka här för att byta till den enkla klienten.

Zimbra : marknadsledande inom open source-kommunikation och samarbete
Does those who live in Germany get that text in German and those who live in France get it in French?
Read more about Zimbra here?
http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2008, 01:49 AM   #19
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Update

Although it's at least as sluggish as ever, after two days of being unable to login to the webmail for either of my GMX accounts, I'm finally able to login to both of them again, but with a 'renewed distrust' of the GMX service.

I first attempted to post a report of the problem to their forums, but quickly recalled that in order to post I had to login to the forum, and the only way to do so, AFAIK, is by logging into one's gmx webmail first, and following a link in the webmail interface. While that seems to me a less than ideal way to handle it, it occurred to me that it may make perfect sense from their point of view in that by preventing those who can't login from posting the problem openly in the forum, it keeps the rest of their users from realizing just how prevalent the web login problems may be.

But on scouring the forum, I did find a thread set up for those having such problems to post "anonymously" (i.e., without logging in with an account name). The "catch" is that posts to that thread are moderated, and I noticed that, although the thread was some eight pages long with login problem reports, not a single new post had been added since the end of last month. So either no one besides myself has had any problems logging into the web interface this month, or they're a bit behind in moderating and adding new posts. My own post has yet to appear in the thread, close to two days after I submitted it. So I suppose one can only conjecture as to whether they're simply too understaffed to keep up with moderating these posts, or too overwhelmed by the sheer number of them, and/or just prefer not to reveal to the users at large just how many users are having login problems.

In any case, I noticed that the GMX staff's reply to most of those posting with login problems in the past was to write to their support address with their account "details" (without specifying what details they needed -- do they need the password as well as the account user name or,,,?). Which makes me wonder why they even bothered setting up the thread for posting these problems publicly, if they prefer to handle it by email. Although I have yet to receive a reply to my post, had they given me their stock reply to email them with my "account details", I had considering responding sarcastically by telling them that I would indeed do so, as soon as I'm able to find a reliable enough email service to email them from -- which unfortunately isn't all that far from the truth, as email services, and email in general, seem to me to be becoming less and less reliable with every passing day.

However, as I said above, I did finally manage to login again today. And as I'm able to do so with both accounts, neither of which was I able to until now, it doesn't seem likely that it had anything to do with their fixing anything as a result of my (thus far unposted) post to their forum, as I had only bothered reporting the problem with one of my accounts, figuring I'd report the problem with the other later, if necessary. And since I don't think I've made any relevant changes to my system's settings over the past couple days, I still don't think it had anything to do with any changes at my end. Nor do I think it's likely that they've fixed anything in the past two days, either with their system or with my accounts.

But the best I'm able to conjecture, it seems to me that something most likely changed with their login pages/urls. Specifically, up until now, I've had no problem logging in (except for the usual slowness, that is) by going to http://gmx.com and filling in the login info on that page. But today, more or less by "accident" (by following a link in another user's post in their forum), I ended up going to http://www.gmx.com instead, and although that page looked identical to the one I always arrived at when going to the address without the 'www', I noticed that the 'www' address had redirected me to http://mail-us.gmx.com/ -- from which I was able to log in to both of my accounts as usual.

So the best I can tell, it appears to me that although both pages look the same, at least for myself, and for whatever reason, only the page at the latter link works properly to allow me to login to my account. I don't know what exactly might have changed to make this the case, but as I can only think that it must have been something they changed at their end, it would have been nice if they'd bothered clearly informing their users of this change. Unless, of course, it was simply a matter of incompetence on their part in not even realizing that anything had been changed or not realizing that it might affect at least some of their users' ability to access their accounts in the way they're accustomed to.

Either way, this experience hasn't exactly enhanced my impression of the service and I'll probably be more reluctant to make any "serious" use of it until it's had quite a bit longer to establish itself as a more stable service.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2008, 04:17 AM   #20
a_a
Essential Contributor

if you have a high speed connection you shouldn't have any problem connecting.
a_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2008, 05:02 AM   #21
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_a View Post
if you have a high speed connection you shouldn't have any problem connecting.
Actually, I don't have a high speed connection. However, connection speed wasn't the problem, but rather, as I explained above, it was the inability to access the webmail at all for the past two days, which I had been able to do via my dialup connection prior to that, and which it appears I finally can once again.

Of course, if the system is designed well and functioning properly, no one should have any problem connecting. But a perusal of their forums reveals that many users are having all kinds of problems with the service.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 05:32 AM   #22
drew
The "e" in e-mail

You in US and me in Sweden Europe. Maybe we in Europe has less many hoops cause I have not had problems logging in recently. And pop3 works good too. GMX send ad mails on updates in service almost daily now. I don't mind cause me have accepted it. Free gets paid by us looking at ads
Old 22 Apr 2008, 06:12 AM   #23
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Well, of course comparing just two users' experience may not provide sufficient information to conclude that location is the deciding factor, since I'm not sure all U.S. users were having problems at the time I was either, or there may have been more posts about it here. Although I did notice that, while the login page was at mail-us.gmx.com, the webmail interface apparently loaded from mail-eu.gmx.com, whatever significance, if any, that might have.

I've also never noticed a problem with POP3 collection, although I only poll it from a Gmail account which I only log into occasionally, so I wouldn't necessarily notice (and probably wouldn't care) if it had occasional "glitches" as many, if not most, services do. But not being able to access the webmail features for the better part of two days seems a bit more serious to me than would just brief inaccessibility by either POP, IMAP, or webmail.

But I haven't been seeing anything like daily updates from the service in my email, in fact I think I may be getting them on exactly a weekly basis. But I wouldn't even call them "ads", since as far as I've noticed they're just updates about the service itself, which I have no problem with.

It'll be nice if/when they eventually get all the serious bugs out of the system, though, which I hope they'll concentrate on more than adding new features, especially since I can't really think of any particularly important email features that the service is lacking at this point. The webmail could still stand much improvement in speed and efficiency though, IMO, as I believe even some users with high-speed connections have still been complaining about the relative slowness of the webmail interface.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 03:35 AM   #24
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Somewhat off-topic from my original post, but still related to GMX, after apparently solving my login problem, at least for the time being, in some preliminary testing of the service to determine its potential usefulness for "preprocessing" incoming messages, although the spam filters have trapped a fair amount of actual spam, unfortunately my testing suggests possibly even a higher typical percentage of false positives than Gmail.

So, despite the claim on their main page of "Unprecedented Spam Protection" (whatever exactly that means) I'm forced to turn the spam filtering off altogether. Unlike Gmail, at least GMX offers that option, although it would be much better if they provided for the fine degree of user control over the spam filtering which their own gmx.net service has long had, which has allowed me to fine-tune my spam settings almost perfectly to almost completely eliminate false positives, rather than just "on" or "off" which gmx.com provides, with dire warnings if one opts to turn the spam control off.

Last edited by xmailer : 23 Apr 2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 2 May 2008, 02:10 AM   #25
wgm

Blank Page when logging in to GMX mail via IE

I also can not log on to my GMX mail using Internet Explorer; but, it works wonderfully using Mozilla FireFox . . . try it. I love GMX . . . I'm not so high on IE
wgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2008, 02:26 AM   #26
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Which version of IE were you using? Were you aware that it's supposed to require IE7? Although I've never even tried to login with IE myself, since I still don't have anything newer than IE6, so I've only ever used FF for logging into Gmx.com. With the limitations of my aging system, I don't bother updating anything until or unless I have to.
Old 12 May 2008, 01:30 AM   #27
alpha1997

could we log in gmx.com using opera browser?

I tried and I cannot log in
alpha1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 01:53 AM   #28
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Fails here too. Works fast in FirFox but nothing happens in Opera. 9,2

If somebody knows how to make it work in Opera please tell.

does not work in Safari browser for Windows either.

I use FF so no big deal for me but many others are Opera lovers I've heard.
Old 12 May 2008, 02:25 AM   #29
Tom Gallagher

Gmx

If it has so many problems why bother with it. There are so many reliable email services out there. I don't see the attraction.
Tom Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 07:16 AM   #30
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Fails here too. Works fast in FirFox but nothing happens in Opera. 9,2

If somebody knows how to make it work in Opera please tell.

does not work in Safari browser for Windows either.

I use FF so no big deal for me but many others are Opera lovers I've heard.
Yeah, I can't get it to work in Opera at all (9.27 or 9.50b2), even spoofing doesn't work. There may be some user JavaScript that might be a workaround, but I can't imagine anyone would bother, to be honest. Anyway, in the Opera betas there's always right click>Open With.

IMAP has been working fine for me, though, and the interface is nice as far as "fat" AJAX-y apps go.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote