EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 7 Apr 2008, 12:41 PM   #1
TechieJustin

Question PGP Encryption via Web?

Are there any email services out there that have some sort of PGP encryption set up on their web interface? I have Thunderbird with GnUPG and I have that pretty much mastered.

But let's say my laptop is eaten by a Pterodactyl. I am forced to walk into an Internet cafe where everyone has an iPod and I have a knockoff Sansa.
I'm forced to use the web interface.
I'm pretty much toast aren't I?

EDIT: I spelled encryption wrong. Can somebody change that so I look less careless?
TechieJustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Apr 2008, 12:52 PM   #2
William9
The "e" in e-mail

LuxSci has it, but you have to pay for LuxSci services. They are good.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2008, 11:13 PM   #3
GeraldR
Essential Contributor

A colleague who has a Ph.D. in cryptology told me that the web based GPG/PGP system he looked gave the web site complete access to your private key. I don't recall which system he looked at. Do you trust the people who run the webmail system with your private key and pass phrase?

I think he said he thought that GPG/PGP written in Javascript would be secure.

If a Pterodactyl does eat your lap top I will buy you a new one in exchange for a piece of the Pterodactyl.
GeraldR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2008, 12:37 AM   #4
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

It appears that at least some implementations of the "advanced" AtMail webmail interface have it. Just by coincidence, shortly before noticing this thread, I had stumbled upon it in one of my rare web logins to one of my little-used uk2.net accounts. Unfortunately, although my older "grandfathered" accounts still have POP3 access, new free accounts at this service are webmail only and the storage space is a paltry (by recent standards) 10MB, although paid upgrades with POP3 and larger storage space are available. But if it's worth looking at, the feature is under Account Settings > Mail Security.

Or perhaps someone else can think of another free service still in existence which has the "advanced" AtMail interface, about which I'm drawing a blank at the moment, as I haven't used any others recently.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2008, 07:43 AM   #5
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

BlueHome.net offers GnuPG through the Usermin web interface, but I don't think they've had open signups for quite some time now.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote