EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 9 Aug 2008, 02:07 AM   #1
ReuvenNY

Can GMX really improve on GMail's functionality?

http://www.techradar.com/news/intern...bility--449149

This article is about GMX as a competitor to Gmail and others. The article is about the British subsidiary but I believe all is also applicable to the American branch too.

Excerpt:

"...
GMX, owned by webhost 1&1, is one of those hoping to muscle in on the market and has just launched a UK-based arm. We spoke to Eva Heil, Managing Director of GMX, to ask her about her hopes for the service.
"It's certainly the case that GMX.co.uk is entering a highly developed market," she said. "However, we think that by virtue of its functionality, GMX.co.uk is a match for the major players."..."
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Aug 2008, 03:10 AM   #2
mf1941
Essential Contributor

Want to make an impact?

Have an E Mail service that doesn't require webmail users (5) minutes to allow the bloated interface to warmup.

I love old tube radios but wouldn't turn one on if I needed a quick weather or traffic report.
mf1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2008, 03:11 AM   #3
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Just a couple of minor observations for the moment.

Quote:
Despite the lure of web 2.0 trinkets, email remains one of the web's killer apps. Gmail and Windows Live Hotmail might rule the roost at the moment, but they're not short of competitors.
This is just "off the top of my head", which I don't have any data to verify either way at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that I've heard/read most recently that Yahoo was actually currently "bigger" that Hotmail in terms of total users and/or accounts. Of course, "currently" wasn't today, so that may or may not be true/accurate.

Quote:
"Storage space is a popular criteria when choosing a service, so we will remain competitive in that respect."
Okay, admittedly this is "nitpicky", but if they're going to compete in an English market,. perhaps they should learn proper English grammar.

Finally:

Quote:
"Over 10 years, we've gained over 11 million users throughout Europe, so GMX is high quality and reliable. Aspects like our very efficient SPAM protection will come as a pleasant surprise to new users."
Right. Like mass execution is a "very efficient" form of crime prevention. </sarcasm>
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2008, 03:15 AM   #4
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf1941 View Post
Want to make an impact?

Have an E Mail service that doesn't require webmail users (5) minutes to allow the bloated interface to warmup.

I love old tube radios but wouldn't turn one on if I needed a quick weather or traffic report.
Likewise, I couldn't agree more (to coin a cliche). Although I guess I've stated my "great love" of AJAX more than once in these forums.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 12:02 AM   #5
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Which is why I prefer the Yahoo "Classic" interface to the new one, even though I have a broadband connection now. Clean and simple are the "criterias". It would be better if GMX and other services besotted with AJAX would provide a simpler, more traditional interface as an option.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2008, 12:09 AM   #6
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen View Post
Clean and simple are the "criterias".
Umm....did you mean criterions???

Otherwise, I agree with you.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 02:41 AM   #7
CyberSmurf

Well I just learned something.

"criterion" is the singular
"criterions" is an alternate for "criteria"

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=criterion
Quote:
Like some other nouns borrowed from the Greek, criterion has both a Greek plural, criteria, and a plural formed on the English pattern

Of course these days, it's hard to say whether I'm learning something for the first time, or just learning it again. . . .
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2008, 03:47 AM   #8
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

That's "news" to me too. I sure can't recall ever seeing or hearing that form. Well, that wrecks my joke.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 09:27 PM   #9
Ennis
Cornerstone of the Community

There are things about GMX that I find superior to Gmail. One of them is being able to right click for a GMX contextual menu. That is great. The one thing it needs is domain hosting. I'm one of those people locked into a personal domain and I don't want or need an @gmx address, though I'm delighted that I was able to get precisely the address I requested. I signed up a long time ago when it was German language only and you needed a physical address in Germany, Austria or Switzerland. I gave them the address of the Canadian Embassy in Bern. They bought it. Now I've come back and it's all English, regardless of where they think I live.
Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 01:04 AM   #10
varaonaid

I've been using GMX quite a bit as of late. There are a lot of things I like about it. Development isn't as fast as I'd prefer but they seem to listen to some of the customer requests (such as spell checking, which, granted, should have been there all along).

What I hate, and the reason I'm looking for another provider at this point, is the long-time-loading, pop up (and yes, I've tried the no pop beta version too) java interface. I primarily use a standalone email program so, while I can deal with the webmail on my laptop for the occasional times I use it, it's impossible to use on my html browser on my phone. There have been numerous posts in the gmx forums requesting some sort of mobile capable login but there seems to be no interest in adding it. I've tried the mail2web site and while it can check my mail without problem, I can't send through it. It always has errors.

So, unfortunately, until there is an alternative to the bloated interface, I don't see them taking on gmail in any great measure.

Just my $.02.
varaonaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 09:32 AM   #11
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Lightbulb Gmx

The GMX login interface is slower than it needs to be, I suppose because the connection to the inbox isn't direct but via a secondary pop-up screen. Yet this isn't really a problem, just a minor delay at least for the .com extension on a high speed connection. However, for slower connections this could be a problem. Since most web based email login gates resolve in new url page views instead of pop-ups, I'm not sure why GMX retains this feature which was much more common for integrated email/desktop web suite applications years ago.

The one advantage GMX has over Gmail for me is that the extension is not only very short but allows users a much wider range of user name choices. Whereas Gmail requires a minimum of six characters, GMX requires only three thus providing many more common user names the ability to be registered. Google has yet to change its inflexible policies on this matter. However, as others have said, GMX which employs the Ajax utility, makes inbox page views slower and in my opinion less intuitive than older, albeit simpler, more instantaneous resolutions. For all its putative advantages such as previewing and font kerning and smoothing, Ajax isn't worth the extra time it requires for it to do its thing. I'd rather have the old HTML protocols kick in. After all, while they may be older technology, they are still faster and more stable. This is why although flash-based email applications such as Gowebtop look great, you have to be prepared to wait at every step to read, compose, and move/delete email.

Gmail wisely avoids this interface, but still lags behind in user support, feedback, and user requested innovations. For example, I have forever and ever requested that Google allow users to skin/theme their inboxes or at least be able to select inbox background colors other than plain, blinding white. This is allowed for iGoogle, why not Gmail? So far ever since the launch of Gmail, I have received no reply on this or any other suggestion. Even Google's original feedback email address for ideas and suggestions for improvement to Gmail (suggestions@google.com) no longer exists. While Gmail is the still the big dog on the block of free email, it should respond to requests and complaints if it wants to be the future industry leader in cloud computing as it currently is in internet search utilities.

I am always grateful for free web based mail applications, but wish they would not only evolve but respond to user's needs and desires. If Gmail wants to retain its current role, it needs to recognize that and GMX and others will show them the way either as close competitors or eventually the new market leaders.
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote