EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Nov 2012, 03:44 AM   #1
marijn

Delete attachments functionality missing

I sometimes receive a large newsletter-type e-mail containing a huge amount of pictures an consuming a lot of storage space.
In the previous interface, I am able to delete the attachments separately, but the new interface does not seem to support that.

So, once again, I'm back to using the previous interface (not that I mind at all, it worked for maybe 10 years and suffices for my limited use).
marijn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Nov 2012, 07:31 AM   #2
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Removing attachments is a function I use several times each day. If It were not then then I would need to permanently delete a lot of email that I'd rather keep, but without the huge attachments that come with it.

I get lots of work email that I'd rather keep for future reference, but I don't need the 200-300KB bmp logos that come with it.
I get email with questions from my students that often have the problem book attached as pdf just to refer to a question on some page of the book. I don't need to keep a copy of the book attached to every email a student sends (arguably perhaps I should permanently delete all the mail I get from my students, but then I don't want to change the way I do my work just because an extremely useful feature was deleted from the interface I use to do my work). And sometimes I get email with many pages of scanned pages of students homewor. I don't need to keep my students' homework in my mailbox after I print it. I do want to keep a record of the submission of the homework (that is the message with all it's headers and without the attachments). And I also would like to keep the email family members send with whatever they are telling there, without having to keep many MB of photos they attached to the same messages.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2012, 08:00 AM   #3
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by marijn View Post
I sometimes receive a large newsletter-type e-mail containing a huge amount of pictures an consuming a lot of storage space.
In the previous interface, I am able to delete the attachments separately, but the new interface does not seem to support that.

So, once again, I'm back to using the previous interface (not that I mind at all, it worked for maybe 10 years and suffices for my limited use).
A very good feature indeed.

Fastmail probably made a mistake by removing all this functionality from the new interface. Making it available in advanced menus or something would have been wiser.

Very happy the classic is still around.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2012, 04:09 AM   #4
stuart

I agree. Please bring back the delete attachments functionality. Please also allow attachments to be sent without actually attaching them to the copy of the message that is stored as sent mail.
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2012, 07:53 AM   #5
rivers

delete attachments

This lack of functionality to delete attachments is a fundamental issue. I sent an email to Fastmail about it, but got a form reply that said I should use the new interface until I got to like it. Quite simply....I won't....not until I can delete attachments. I would do that on average 10 - 20 times per day. I also delete them from my Sent emails. If I didn't, I would have exceeded my allocated storage space long ago. Another thing, I changed the Options to show Size, but it does not work - email size does not appear on the interface.
rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2012, 08:44 AM   #6
johanborg
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Opera.com
Yes, we intend to add this back in somehow. Regarding displaying message size, it does show when you sort by size.
johanborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2012, 10:32 AM   #7
mbraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanborg View Post
Yes, we intend to add this back in somehow. Regarding displaying message size, it does show when you sort by size.
- I suggest you allow users to choose what to display, including message size, without having to resort by size. I've always used the size info to decide what messages to delete, or to delete the attachments within.
mbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2012, 06:01 PM   #8
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Probably not able to do this, but what of one interface with option to use our not use advanced features?
Old 10 Nov 2012, 03:42 AM   #9
labarum
Essential Contributor

I am confused.

Is it possible to delete attachments in the new classic interface? If so, how.

The new help references "bounce". Where is that? I thought it was long gone.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2012, 05:37 AM   #10
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
... also allow attachments to be sent without actually attaching them to the copy of the message that is stored as sent mail.
This existed in the old-new-interface ("Classic") but I never used it (when I wanted to keep a sent message without the attachments, I set the sent message to be saved in Inbox, deleted the attachments there, and then filed the message). Reason: the functionality for saving sent mail without the attachments doesn't work like the "delete attachment" feature: it leaves no record of the deleted attachment. When I keep a sent message for the record, I want the kept message to indicate what was the sent message's content. (same when keeping a received message. It doesn't need to have huge attachments, but it has to have some kind of record that describes the attachment that was there).

So when deleting attachments is brought to the new interface, I suggest that two things are fixed:
  1. Removing attachments from saved sent messages should work exactly as manually removing attachments in the view message screen, that is, leave a small attachment with the headers of the removed attachment.
  2. There is still one problem with the manual removal of an attachment in the "Classic" interface,: it doesn't work when the attachment is the only MIME part in the message (that is: not text part, only attachment). In this case it should either work the same (the only MIME part would be the stub that replaces the deleted attachment) or an extra MIME level created (that is, a multipart/mixed container, with only the stub withing it)
And also the new interface should not show deleted attachments as if they are still there (and allow access to the non-existent attachments). This bug was already reported.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 07:51 AM   #11
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
This existed in the old-new-interface ("Classic") but I never used it (when I wanted to keep a sent message without the attachments, I set the sent message to be saved in Inbox, deleted the attachments there, and then filed the message). Reason: the functionality for saving sent mail without the attachments doesn't work like the "delete attachment" feature: it leaves no record of the deleted attachment. When I keep a sent message for the record, I want the kept message to indicate what was the sent message's content. (same when keeping a received message. It doesn't need to have huge attachments, but it has to have some kind of record that describes the attachment that was there).

So when deleting attachments is brought to the new interface, I suggest that two things are fixed:
  1. Removing attachments from saved sent messages should work exactly as manually removing attachments in the view message screen, that is, leave a small attachment with the headers of the removed attachment.
  2. There is still one problem with the manual removal of an attachment in the "Classic" interface,: it doesn't work when the attachment is the only MIME part in the message (that is: not text part, only attachment). In this case it should either work the same (the only MIME part would be the stub that replaces the deleted attachment) or an extra MIME level created (that is, a multipart/mixed container, with only the stub withing it)
And also the new interface should not show deleted attachments as if they are still there (and allow access to the non-existent attachments). This bug was already reported.
Really, are we doing something differently?
When I delete an attachment from a sent message I get a notification when seeing the message:

Attachments

Documents:
----------------------------------
important.doc (Deleted) 808k)
Old 10 Nov 2012, 08:37 AM   #12
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Really, are we doing something differently?
When I delete an attachment from a sent message I get a notification when seeing the message:

Attachments

Documents:
----------------------------------
important.doc (Deleted) 808k)
I just sent myself an email message with two attachments, using "Classic" interface, with "Do Not Save" selected in the "Save attached files" menu. The email arrived with the two attachments. The coly in the "Sent Items" folder had no attachments, and no indication that there where attachments 9and I tried to view it both as html and as plain text, but even in "raw message" view, there was no trace of any attachment that used to be threre. In the new interface no attachments are seen in the "Sent Items" copy. I deleted one attachment manually from the received copy, and the new interface still allows downloading it with the original filetype.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 06:49 PM   #13
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
I just sent myself an email message with two attachments, using "Classic" interface, with "Do Not Save" selected in the "Save attached files" menu. The email arrived with the two attachments. The coly in the "Sent Items" folder had no attachments, and no indication that there where attachments 9and I tried to view it both as html and as plain text, but even in "raw message" view, there was no trace of any attachment that used to be threre. In the new interface no attachments are seen in the "Sent Items" copy. I deleted one attachment manually from the received copy, and the new interface still allows downloading it with the original filetype.
I am using a different sent items folder, just "sent". I wonder if that has anythign to do with it? Strange. Copy the message to another folder, maybe? does it appear?

Why would it show in one "Sent" and not "Sent Items"???
Old 20 Dec 2012, 03:08 PM   #14
Garnobium

Ah I am glad to know other people have noticed this. The only way to remove an attachment is to delete the whole message, and the only way to save a message is to archive it (also far more annoying to do than it used to be), which saves it WITH the attachment. I read my archived email with a plain text viewer, so the attachment is just a huge lump of characters.

I didn't know it was possible to access the old interface, though; I only have the option of changing the style sheet as far as I can discern.
Garnobium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2013, 05:04 PM   #15
rabarberski
Master of the @

+1
This feature should be made available in the new interface. Just searched for it, in vain.
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote