EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 14 Apr 2003, 10:28 AM   #1
Spin
The "e" in e-mail

Windows XP Pro, or XP Home?

I wanted to know which windows would do better gaming. I want my new PC to be for gaming and I have Win 98 on my current PC, and the PC I want comes with Windows Home, is it worth getting XP Pro, or is Home just as good?

Spin
Spin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Apr 2003, 11:27 AM   #2
lux
The "e" in e-mail

I think Home is just as good for gaming...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2003, 04:55 PM   #3
CelticBlackCat
Essential Contributor

Hi Spin,

Windows XP Home Edition is fine for your use. Windows XP Professional is for networked computers. But if you are into gaming, do yourself a favor and get the proper RAM needed, at least 256 MB. I have Windows XP Home Edition with only 128 MB of RAM, but then again I don't do gaming. I have read and heard from computer experts that Windows XP works best with at least 256 MB of RAM. I'm doing fine with my RAM for my needs, though, and that is what the computer came with knowing it had Windows XP as its OS.

As for your monitor, use the regular CPU type. All the experts say this is better for playing games. I have a Flat Panel Monitor which I love, but then again, I don't do gaming.

Hope this helps you a little. Do some research first before you buy to make sure you get everything that is compatible for your needs. Good luck and have fun!

CelticBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2003, 01:57 AM   #4
teacher
Master of the @

Should also try and get the best graphic card you can afford.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2003, 10:46 AM   #5
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
If you have the latest hardwares you should go with XP regardless of which edition you use. But if your PC is involved into logging into NT domains then you need Pro edition.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2003, 10:55 AM   #6
Spin
The "e" in e-mail

I am also looking into getting one of these 2 PC's in at least 1 week. Here are the links, tell me which one you would get. Does it make a difference. I know ones processor speed is a little greater. Which one would you pick for me (I want to play games, Currently I have a 2 GB hard drive with a 400 MHz proccessor)!

http://www.refurbdepot.com/productde...roduct_ID=2447

http://www.refurbdepot.com/productde...roduct_ID=2517

PS Im also looking for a good monitor. As in better then the junky gateway monitor I have now. Anyone know of a 17 inch, or 20 inch monitor that has a good price?

Thanks for your help everyone,

Spin
Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2003, 05:52 AM   #7
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Hrm. Tough one. The basic difference I found between the two is that one (eMachines C1641) comes at $6,00 dollars less, but has a very neat CD-RW/DVD in it... if you want to watch DVD's without spending extra cash on a DVD drive that might be a very large plus.

The eMachines C1844 (the expensive one) has better speed (only a little bit, though) and comes with a normal CD recorder. It also has the AC '97 chipset for audio, which I have too, and I don't like it much. The sound chipset on the other one I haven't heard about yet. It C1844 also has USB 2.0 ports, which is, IMHO, a very good thing if you intend on using USB devices (downwards compatible, and major speed advantages over normal USB... in the near future most devices will probably be USB-2's).

I'd say that for the $6,00 it's pretty much worth it, but it depends mostly on your needs. For viewing DVD's I'd recommend the cheaper one, because you'll need a seperate DVD player for the C1844.

I hope this helps you out a bit,

--Kander
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2003, 10:56 AM   #8
lux
The "e" in e-mail

I am getting connection refused when accessing the two links...
Old 18 Apr 2003, 04:59 PM   #9
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Works for me...
Old 19 Apr 2003, 04:29 AM   #10
lux
The "e" in e-mail

The cheaper one also has a better sound card and better software package but no USB 2.0 ports...
Old 24 Apr 2003, 09:34 PM   #11
thefroggy

Thumbs up xp

It has a nice feature called windows messenger, that you cna talk to you friends or family....
thefroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2003, 09:35 PM   #12
thefroggy

Re: xp

Quote:
Originally posted by thefroggy
It has a nice feature called windows messenger, that you can talk to you friends or family....
thefroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2003, 02:04 AM   #13
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Erm, yeah... what to say... Windows Messenger is kinda like exactly the same as MSN Messenger, it's just integrated into Windows. And it's nearly impossible to disable it/remove it.

I don't really see it as a feature, it's just Microsoft trying to force it's way into the Instant Messaging arena. ICQ is still vastly superior to MSN/Windows Messenger... but that's just MHO, of course.

--K
Old 25 Apr 2003, 02:25 AM   #14
teacher
Master of the @

The AMD Athlon™ XP processor is meant to be better for gaming and visuals than normal Pentium 4+ tech.

I have both chips in two different computers, plus XP Home and XP Professional. I really love both of my computers, but then again they are used for different needs.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2003, 01:16 PM   #15
lux
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
Erm, yeah... what to say... Windows Messenger is kinda like exactly the same as MSN Messenger,

I don't really see it as a feature, it's just Microsoft trying to force it's way into the Instant Messaging arena. ICQ is still vastly superior to MSN/Windows Messenger
Windows messenger has lot of unique functions such as Remote Assistance, Applications Sharing, Address Book Sharing, etc which MSN messenger and ICQ does not have. I definitely see it as a feature...