EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 May 2021, 05:17 PM   #1
evfrson

Saved searches position

When I save a search it always appears at the bottom of my label list.
Anyone know of a way/setting that will save searches at the top of the label list ?
evfrson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 May 2021, 08:06 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Save searches in folders or labels, especially Archive/All mail

The location of saved searches depends on the scope of the search when it was saved.
  • In most cases, after entering a search string into the search box and pressing Enter (or using the Advanced search screen), you will see a "radio button" style tool beneath the search box where you are given the choice of searching All mail or the specific folder or label you were viewing.
  • If you chose to search All mail or if the search string includes a in: term, the search will be saved at the bottom of the folder tree.
  • Normal searches in All mail will ignore the Spam and Trash folders. Including in:* as part of the search string will include those two folders in the search.
  • If you chose to search a specific folder or label, the search will be saved inside that specific folder or label. The search will look similar to a folder or label, but a magnifying lens icon will be used.
  • A special case is the labels mode All mail label in the tree. If you switch to folder mode and save searches in the Archive folder, those searches will show up under the All mail label when you switch back to label mode and they will search across all labels.
If you use Labels mode, I find it very convenient to use the trick I described above to save searches in the Archive folder while in folders mode, then switch to labels mode and use those saved searches under the All mail label. I saved the search string UNREAD in this manner, and I leave the All mail label opened up so I can simply click that UNREAD saved search and immediately find any unread message in any folder (other than Spam or Trash).

If you use Folders mode, you might want to save your searches in the Inbox folder, which is normally at the top of the folder tree. Here is an example:
  • Select Inbox in the left folder tree.
  • Enter emaildiscussions in the Search Mail box.
  • Set the search scope (below the Search Mail field) to Inbox.
  • Select Save for the current search (at the left under the Compose button). Enter EMD and save.
  • You will now have a search named EMD under the Inbox folder, just as if it was a subfolder. Click this search and you will see a choice at the top to choose the search scope to be All mail or Inbox (default).
Comparing these two methods (Folders mode search saved under Inbox or Labels mode search saved in the All mail label inherited from the Archive folder), the Labels mode All mail search is easier to use for global searches in all folders, since it only requires one click to use.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 07:16 PM   #3
evfrson

Many thanks for that fantastic answer Bill!
The information there was just what I was looking for and hopefully others will find it useful too.
Much appreciated.

Robin
evfrson is offline   Reply With Quote