EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Sep 2008, 12:53 AM   #31
henrico
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
You don't need a special print button to print a styled page; it's in the stylesheet designated for printing and your browser already knows what to do with it when you print.
I think the page looks better in the old interface when you choose 'print view'.
henrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 01:12 AM   #32
cb500

display style issue

In trying the new interface via Rob's login link I find that I cannot change the stylesheets via "options"/"account preferences"/"display style". When I change the "display style" using the new interface, click "save changes" and then "done", the display does not change. However when I go back and login using the old interface I find the display style which was selected using the new interface. I did this several times using different display styles. Each time the new style shows up when logging in via the old interface. I tried the reverse procedure, i.e., changing the display style using the old interface and then logging in using the new interface but the new interface display style did not change.

I am seeing no other comments about problems with display style so I won't file any sort of "bug report" at this point. I'll just check the forum and see if anyone else posts a similar issue.

Otherwise, I have the same favorable impression that others have said. Very nice and functional upgrades to the web interface. Nice work...
cb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 01:22 AM   #33
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb500 View Post
Otherwise, I have the same favorable impression that others have said. Very nice and functional upgrades to the web interface. Nice work...
I am pretty sure the old stylesheets will not work with the new interface (or so I have read) that new stylesheets will have to be created.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 01:30 AM   #34
akorvemaker
Master of the @

Yay! Congratulations, FM!

It looks really good, and I've been quite looking forward to it. Great work.

It'll take a little time to get used to the new format, but I really really like a lot of the improvements.

A little note regarding the folder list: I loved the hidden-unless-unread option. I found it really simplified the mailbox view. If a folder had new messages, it got my attention. If it didn't, it was "out of sight, out of mind". If you can manage to keep a form of that feature, I'd be very happy. For me, the search box on the folders is nice for quickly finding folders I want (I like it a lot!), but I also really really really liked the hiding feature.

That said, I'll happily live with the new style even without this feature.

Great work!
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 01:34 AM   #35
cb500

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I am pretty sure the old stylesheets will not work with the new interface (or so I have read) that new stylesheets will have to be created.
Thanks for the reply. A few previous posts seem to suggest you could select one of the "canned" displays (i.e., professional blue) and it worked. In my case I cannot get a change of display no matter which style I try and use (i.e., slipstream pro, winstream, etc.). It appears if I am locked into a "default" style when using the new interface. That said, there may very well be a note about this in the wiki which Rob mentioned. These forums have so many useful comments that I am guilty of sometimes coming here first and being somewhat negligent about actually looking at documentation, help files, etc.
Old 27 Sep 2008, 01:45 AM   #36
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb500 View Post
A few previous posts seem to suggest you could select one of the "canned" displays (i.e., professional blue) and it worked. In my case I cannot get a change of display no matter which style I try and use
There is currently only ONE interface; changing the display stylesheet won't do a thing. Only users with an old custom interface stylesheet are affected.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 02:07 AM   #37
cb500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
There is currently only ONE interface; changing the display stylesheet won't do a thing. Only users with an old custom interface stylesheet are affected.
Got it - thanks for confirming.

I noticed one other item - couldn't see how to do a manual POP retrieval. Can highlight the POP item via pulldown menu, but don't see any way to act on it. Probably missing something obvious but didn't notice anything about POP retrieval in the wiki notes.

Overall, appears to be a nice interface with many improvements.

Thanks...
Old 27 Sep 2008, 02:15 AM   #38
dmillette

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
Yay! Congratulations, FM!

It looks really good, and I've been quite looking forward to it. Great work.

It'll take a little time to get used to the new format, but I really really like a lot of the improvements.

A little note regarding the folder list: I loved the hidden-unless-unread option. I found it really simplified the mailbox view. If a folder had new messages, it got my attention. If it didn't, it was "out of sight, out of mind". If you can manage to keep a form of that feature, I'd be very happy. For me, the search box on the folders is nice for quickly finding folders I want (I like it a lot!), but I also really really really liked the hiding feature.

That said, I'll happily live with the new style even without this feature.

Great work!
I would agree with this. Or, an alternative would be to highlight or bold the parent folder title in the sidebar when a subfolder has an unread message. Either method would go a long way to keeping the sidebar clean when we've got lots of subfolders. :-)

Other than that, at my first glance the new interface looks & feels great!
dmillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 02:19 AM   #39
JMac
Essential Contributor

Very sweet! I just spent only a few minutes there and I'm happy already! Truly well done!

Thank you Neil. Super job!

Oddly enough, one of the features I am most thankful for is the fact that the message Subject is in the center! Sounds minor but after a year plus I still found myself almost always clicking on the From: field, which was centered on the regular interface, so I would get the Reply dialog instead of just a view of the message. Weird, but the new UI is much friendlier from a "human factors" standpoint.

Excellent UI. Thanks again Neil!

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 02:30 AM   #40
COUME
Master of the @

I miss one key feature...

Hello,

After using the new interface for a day, I found one feature that I am really missing.... The tick box in the column header that you can tick to select all the emails in the folder view...

To do that, you now need to go in the drop down and select the option. I guess I will get used to that but I don't think adding a tick box in the column header would be too intrusive in this new interface.

** Edit: There is a working tick-box now :? Not sure if it has been corrected or if the CSS did not load properly before...

Just my 2 cents
Ludo

Last edited by COUME : 27 Sep 2008 at 06:30 AM. Reason: There is now a tick-box
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 02:37 AM   #41
Dan L

I dig it
Dan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 02:56 AM   #42
Sherry

Mod: Post from the joke thread It's been released ... the new interface! about the new GUI have been merged into this thread.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 03:15 AM   #43
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
The reply/reply all/forward buttons feel "wrong" on the right side of the actions bar. They should be on the left side.
I totally agree with that for the average user. When I've worked with people by phone (non FM users) and need them to click on Options or Settings or Preferences I have to tell them it's on the right side when they say they don't see one of those...

Sherry
Old 27 Sep 2008, 03:23 AM   #44
Sherry

Fantastic!!! The spell checker in HTML is great. Is the HTML using the FCKeditor and if yes, is it the newest version (that we got to play around in on that special site)?

Sherry
Old 27 Sep 2008, 03:29 AM   #45
Sherry

The "Download" link for attachments will open most of them instead of downloading them. Will this be a problem for many who don't know to use a right/click Save As (or whatever their browser has). Should the link say to Open (if it's the type of file that will open with and explanation to the right of the link explaining how to download the file?

Sherry