EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 May 2017, 11:40 AM   #1
exactus

Could not connect to the server

I experienced this issue probably 12 months ago when I was configiring my android mobile phone (with no positive outcome).

FM loses connection to the server, does a count down and tries again.
"Could not to connect to the server"

I purchased a Lenova Android tablet on the weekend with the sole purpose of accessing my FM email -- I'm now getting the same issue !

What's going on? This is extremey frustrating. Is there any value in raising a support ticket?

(I fixed the mobile issue a year ago by configuring Gmail to access my FM mail. I do not wish to do the same with my new Lenova tablet)

Last edited by exactus : 15 May 2017 at 11:01 PM.
exactus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 May 2017, 11:54 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

If the problem is sporadic, it is surely something to do with the network connection between you and New York Internet.

If it is a hard error, it might be worth contacting support. Just maybe there is some incompatibility between Android through your ISP and FastMail. Before doing that, check the server name, user, passport, port umber and protocol. Remember that you must be using imap.fastmail.com/smtp.fastmail.com and an app password these days. For incoming, SSL/TLS and port 993. For outgoing, SSL/TLS and port 465.

It would not hurt to examine the Login Log also. Maybe, something there will trigger a thought about what may be going on.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 12:05 PM   #3
exactus

Can not connect to the server

Thanks for response BritTim.

I'm getting a bit of deja vu with the response though

Although I downloaded the FM app from the Google Play Store, I was lead to believe last year that it uses normal, vanilla web access to connect to FM. There is no configuration involved.

There are NO settings on my tablet for the FM app.

I do however have to configure the Gmail app with incoming/outgoing servers etc etc.

I was told last year that it is not an "app", but uses standard web access to replicate the regular FM desktop interface.
Old 15 May 2017, 01:55 PM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Yes, the FM App is just a wrapper around the browser, so no IMAP/SMTP configuration. I believed you were configuring the Gmail app. That is what my last post was directed towards. Are both failing?
Old 15 May 2017, 04:50 PM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Have a look here this may help.

https://www.fastmail.com/help/client...1password.html
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 11:00 PM   #6
exactus

FM on an android tablet

Apologies to BritTim, I hadn't made it very clear as to what I was configuring. Your Gmail config setting was appreciated. (I had to unistall for an unrelated reason.)

I have my tablet opening the FM app and displaying all the emails.
The "can't connect to server' issue is intermittent so very difficult to trace why....

Thanks to Terry for the 1Password link, but not sure my problem relates to passwords (I mastered the app password requirement for gmail, however it's not required for the FM app.

I turn off the tablet, and when I turn it on again, it goes straight to the app displaying emails - no login reqired. (Bad for security, but great for convenience!)

Just to make it clear, my tablet can go to any website and never indicates that it can't "connect to the server".
The FM app, on the other hand, uses the same internet pipes, but sometimes gives me the 'can't connect' message....
Old 16 May 2017, 01:40 AM   #7
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactus View Post
Just to make it clear, my tablet can go to any website and never indicates that it can't "connect to the server".
The FM app, on the other hand, uses the same internet pipes, but sometimes gives me the 'can't connect' message....
I sympathize, I really do. The fact is that most of the Internet sites are not on New York Internet where FastMail lives. It is frustrating, but not unusual for one part of the Internet to have an issue from a particular ISP because of the network route used to get there. The fix I use, when the connection as far as my ISP seems fine, is to use a decent VPN with nearby local servers to change my Internet routes. Your experience may vary, but this usually fixes the problem for me.
Old 21 May 2017, 09:25 PM   #8
exactus

Can't connect to tthe server

I'm not convinced the problem lies with New York Internet (host of FM). This is because my tablet is using wifi to access FM -- this wifi is connected to my home router which accesses Fastmail (via the web interface) as well as connecting via an email client without problem.

If the web connection to NYI was the issue then one would presume my desktop PC would display the "can't connect" message but it has never has - not once in ten years.

If I had to guess, I reckon the problem lies inside the code for the FM 'app'. I can reach any web site on the planet including fastmail's web version on my home pc, but as soon as I use the FM app (downloaded from the Google store) to my mobile phone (last year's problem) or my new tablet (one week ago) I get exactly the same message about not being able to connect to the server.

Old 22 May 2017, 07:36 AM   #9
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

If the tablet has a built in web browser just use that and log in as normal

Have a look here...no it wont help you that much.... http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...il+application

From one of Bills posts please read http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...7&postcount=17

Last edited by Terry : 22 May 2017 at 12:55 PM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 04:46 PM   #10
ozhamlet

Could not connect to the server

I've had this same problem intermittently for a few months both on an Android phone (Moto G Play running Marshmallow) using the FM app and on a Win10 notebook running FM in Firefox 53. I recently logged a support ticket about it and currently the ball is in my court waiting for it to happen again, as the most recent support response was:
"Next time you see the problem, please open a "Terminal" and run the following commands (each in a new terminal):

1. traceroute fastmail.fm
2. ping fastmail.fm

Copy the output of the above commands and paste them in update to this ticket."
I'm still waiting for it to happen. Previously, I had to restart the app/Firefox and then FM would connect straight away.

BTW, the Win equivalent of traceroute is tracert.
ozhamlet is offline   Reply With Quote