EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Apr 2002, 10:22 PM   #46
theDuke
Essential Contributor

I still think 1 extra sent from for members is to low.

Now I have 2 ( 1 for mydomain and 1 for spam...) and I don't
want to use my fastmail@ becouse I like to use it for a long time and don't want spam on it....
I say 4 or 5 would be better service for members.
In a while I realy want to buy some bandwith and mailspace, and in a year or so I will be a full member I think.
Old 20 Apr 2002, 11:07 PM   #47
toco154

Hello,

FastMail.FM was a special email-service for me. It was different from other services because of this nice feature to set up from-addresses.
By the way, I have been using services like purpleturtle or fetchmail before - because (as they existet) multiple from-addresses were possible, too. The reason why I changed to FM and not to runbox was the ability to set multiple from-addresses.

The ideology of fastmail is to provide a fast and reliable email-service. But that isn`t all that makes an identity of a company good for the customers: These are special features you canīt get elsewhere.

I never knew WHY personalities and from-addresses should be the same. I just canīt imagine any reason for that.
I donīt need more than two personalities, but I need more from-addresses in my WEBMAIL.

Yes, you could say that it was generous from J. and R. to offer this feature until April 18th for free. But it wasnīt only generous: it was a marketing strategy: you only miss what you know. Now youīve a reason to upgrade.

I upgraded my account, too, so I donīt understand that the feature is still that much restricted. I feel they want make me to upgrade once again to an enhanced account; nevermind that Iīm still paying for FM. I will not do this. Not if someone wants to make money this way.

The reason why I should tell my friend to use FM is now nearly gone... sad, very sad.

I will still stay with FM but I am very dissapointed.

Gabriel
Old 20 Apr 2002, 11:45 PM   #48
lux
The "e" in e-mail

Since the limit on enhanced accounts is increased by 250%, the limit on full accounts should at least double? which will make it 10??
Old 20 Apr 2002, 11:49 PM   #49
mentiro

I always love more features, so it'd be nice to have more aliases. But I'm perfectly happy with my 5 aliases as a full member. I was just curious why in the world you would need 50 or even 20 aliases? Do you give a different e-mail address to everyone you know? Do you spam? Why in the world would anyone need that many for normal e-mail use?
Old 20 Apr 2002, 11:51 PM   #50
theDuke
Essential Contributor

> Why in the world would anyone need that many for normal e-mail use?

Just for the freedom! some people need it some don't
Old 20 Apr 2002, 11:53 PM   #51
mentiro

Well that's fine, but it doesn't answer my question =)
Old 20 Apr 2002, 11:55 PM   #52
mentiro

I mean, my only problem with giving so many aliases to one user is that if some user has unlimited aliases and registers 250 aliases. That's 250 aliases that some new member won't be able to use, b/c one member is using them all! I think a reasonable number should be allowed, but I just don't understand why one person would need to take up so many of them!
Old 20 Apr 2002, 11:58 PM   #53
nic76
Essential Contributor

Mentiro, the discussion is not about aliases but about from addresses. Such an from address could be an old email address, an email address from a community/website, email addresses on subdomains uniquely used for registering on websites, ...
Old 21 Apr 2002, 12:01 AM   #54
theDuke
Essential Contributor

> That's 250 aliases that some new member won't be able to use

I not talking about fastmail aliases but just about sentfrom adresses (Like the reply goes to a hotmail @ or so..)
Old 21 Apr 2002, 12:03 AM   #55
mentiro

OK, well that makes my previous argument not really valid. Sorry guys! I guess since I don't really make use of this feature I didn't catch on to what was being debated =)

BUT, I still have the question of why people need SO many choices. Not that I care as much if it isn't taking up fastmail aliases, but just curious.
Old 21 Apr 2002, 12:19 AM   #56
nic76
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by mentiro
BUT, I still have the question of why people need SO many choices. Not that I care as much if it isn't taking up fastmail aliases, but just curious.
i use following addresses to sent mail from (some a lot, some rarely):
- a few old email addresses (i switched a lot trying to find a good email before i found fastmail)
- my isp's email address (to sent mail to my isp )
- an email address at work
- my official email address i hand out to ppl
- some email addresses which are disposable that i use to post in forums/communities where everyone can see my email address
- a disposable unique address for each website i subscribe when i need to reply to a mail they send me
- last but not least: my fastmail email address
Old 21 Apr 2002, 12:20 AM   #57
sterdeus

Wow, 50 "from" addresses. Thats one for every ego I have
But seriously, I read that some people have a different email for every message board they post to, one for friends, one for work, one for newsletters, one for log in to this site and that site.. but 50 different ones.. How do they remember all of them? Maybe its just me and my old age

50 for enhanced sounds good to me, I'll probably only use 10 or so. And at least 10 for the full members sounds reasonable.
Old 21 Apr 2002, 01:06 AM   #58
psalzer

I guess whether the number gets increased for Full would depend on how Fastmail is viewing Full accounts. Ten does seem reasonable. On the other hand, if it were ten, I'd probably have a Full account instead of an Enhanced one, because five just wasn't really enough, but ten would have been. All the other resources supplied by a Full account would be sufficient for my needs, I think. So, in that way, the marketing strategy worked. We all benefit, including Guest account holders, if their marketing is working, because that allows them to continue to provide the services we've got now, which is the most important thing to all of us. I think the whole Full/Enhanced balance is the trickiest one and how it plays out is going to depend on how things look on Fastmail's balance sheets. I guess what I'm saying is be careful what you ask for. Not literally, though. I mean, I'm sure that Jeremy and Rob want all the feedback that they can get about what people are happy with and what they're unhappy with, so ask away. But one development that we all know is happening is that the paid e-mail market is just opening up, and the competition is going to start getting fierce. Other services will be topping each other in what they offer. This will drive a certain number of them right out of business. I've found that the emergence of a market can be very hard on businesses that were able to be successful in it previously. Part of Fastmail's forumula is the ratio of the different account levels, so offering a lot at a lower level can screw up the numbers. They're going have to look at what they can provide to stay both competitive and profitable all the time for a while. I'm just glad that they're them and I'm not.
Old 21 Apr 2002, 02:22 AM   #59
luzanne

i agree that fastmail should have competitive features for each level of accounts but will it really cost them to provide a better service by increasing the number of "from" addresses.

it is a very important feature to a lot of us,
it doesn't cost much to provide,
and many of us are already willing to pay for email when we never thot we would.

just by looking at the forum replies for this topic shows just how borthered we are as members, loyal members at that.

i'll want to be able to use as many "from" mailinglist1/2/3/4.....@scribbles.ws so i'll know who sells my addresses.

how about 50 for full and unlimited for enhanced?

if fastmail can provide unlimited email subdomains@youruserid.fastmail.fm,
i don't see why it can't provide unlimited "from" addresses without reasonable justification.

And the reason why so many of us turned to fastmail is coz we believe that we'll get value for our money even if its the members.

Don't break our trust!
Old 21 Apr 2002, 03:54 AM   #60
Shelded

Quote:
Originally posted by fb19
The problem is when I need to SEND from my fastmail accout using the email address of my choice.
Quote:
Originally posted by shelded and use the mail client to send from your domain name. There would be unlimited addressses you could use for SMTP
By 'client' I'm suggesting that it may be possible (for you perhaps not preferable) to use a mail client to send the message, thereby giving yourself as many outgoing addresses as you desire. OK, it's a workaround, but I use the webmail only about 50% of the time so I can have more names and so I can use rich text format.
Closed Thread