EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Dec 2020, 08:48 PM   #16
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Thank you for the explanations, FredOnline and EricG.

Since I've never played games with my phone nor engaged in so-called "social media" activities, I've always disabled just about all Google services on my Android phones.

I'm slowly doing the same with my new Android 10 phone. However, it may take me another week or two of experimenting disabling some of the new Google baggage before I'm done.

By the way, Android 10 replaced the navigation icons at the bottom of the screen with something called "Gestures." Fortunately, although It took me a while, I was able to figure out how to bring them back.

Even though I don't do the Play Store, I'm able to download all the Apps. I need from the developers on GitHUB, or from APKMirror, or from PureAPK.

Never downloaded a compromised APK.

As soon as straight Linux cellular phones go down in price, I'll buy one to play with. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Enough rambling.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2020, 09:38 PM   #17
TenFour
Master of the @

There's always the PinePhone for $150-$200 running a variety of Linux distros. Still a work in progress. https://pine64.com/product-category/...v=0446c16e2e66

However, to me the most important apps and the best are not the mainstream ones. They are the dedicated camera app that gets the best from the phone's camera, the special weather and mapping apps for things like marine forecasts and nautical charts, the hiking trail apps, the banking apps, etc. Most of those will never be available on the non-Google stores. Just camera quality alone is a big negative for anything but an iPhone or a top of the line Android running their own camera apps.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2020, 08:52 PM   #18
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
There's always the PinePhone for $150-$200 running a variety of Linux distros. Still a work in progress. https://pine64.com/product-category/...v=0446c16e2e66
That's way too much money for me. All my Android phones have been hand-me-downs from my son or cost me between $20.00 and $45.00 (mostly refurbished, but some new on sale at BestBuy or Walmart).

It pains me to say that the one I just bought at Swappa cost me $95.00 in "mint" condition -- it would have cost $150.00 brand new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
However, to me the most important apps and the best are not the mainstream ones. They are the dedicated camera app that gets the best from the phone's camera, the special weather and mapping apps for things like marine forecasts and nautical charts, the hiking trail apps, the banking apps, etc. Most of those will never be available on the non-Google stores. Just camera quality alone is a big negative for anything but an iPhone or a top of the line Android running their own camera apps.
I can see why you would need the Play Store for your use case.

As previously said, I do not play games or socialize with my phone. I also do not log into banks or other financial institutions nor keep any confidential information on the phone (including addresses).

Basically, I use it for phone calls, a rare text, and to check my E-Mail. Hence, I don't need the Google Play Store.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote