EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 10 Dec 2011, 03:14 AM   #91
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Why does Christmas music exist but no Ramadan music, Yom Kippur music, Easter Day music, Animal Right's Day music, Secretary Day music, ... ? (I wanted to add Valentine's Day but then I guess every lovesong can be considered suitable for a Valentine's Day compilation)

Why does one festivity have a whole genre of music attributed to it and the others don't?
I smell a new market waiting to be explored with new specially composed (and heavily advertised ) albums with music for each kind of possible celebration!

As for Easter: Dutch punk band Heideroosjes once released a song "Ze smelten de paashaas" (translated as "They're melting the Easter Rabbit")
As mentioned in my last post, I find it hard to get into Christmas, but listening to Christmas music gets me in the zone and helps me to get through it. I do get bored with all the predictable stuff however, so the alternative (less played) stuff works better.

BTW, I like the Christmas Lullaby and have added it to my playlist, Thanks Adam
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2011, 04:41 AM   #92
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

One recent addition to my Christmas playlist is Jean-Jacques Perrey's The Rose and the Cross, a beautiful instrumental (organ/synth duet) which fits the mood perfectly.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2011, 07:58 AM   #93
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Some more suggestions for your Christmas alternative playlist:

Marilyn Manson : "If I was your Vampire"
Placebo : "Taste in Men"
EMA: "California"
Siouxsie & The Banshees: "Israel"

Except for the latter somewhat remotely, none of them have anything to do with the day itself, but the word Christmas is somewhere in the lyrics. Not even sure why, but any excuse to stray away from the cheesy christmas tunes is a good excuse.
You could also add to that list Athlete : Wires.
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2011, 09:26 PM   #94
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lachlan View Post
I've been at it for over a year Robert! I have some gems in there though - quite a few rarities. In the meantime there are the new releases for this year to mull[ed wine?] over including "Christmas for the free" by The Zombies, "Getting ready for Christmas Day" by Paul Simon, plus albums from Carole King, Michael Bublé, Joe Mc Elderry and *shudders* Justin Beiber.
I listened to the Carole King album "A Christmas Carole" at the weekend and quite enjoyed it. Michael Bublé is getting so much exposure atm, I think we're all going to be sick of him pretty soon.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 02:52 AM   #95
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

non christmas songs with chrismas lyrics

Following on from Tsnami's post, I've been racking my brain for non-Christmas songs which mention Christmas in the lyrics somewhere. I had a few the other day but today I can only remember Mary Chapin Carpenter : He thinks he'll keep her. Thanks Tsunami for this new challenge!

By the way this Forum is a beauty to use on my new Android phone. It's the older, slower version of android and most sites are very sluggish on it, but EMD only takes a couple of seconds. Kudos Edwin!
Old 23 Dec 2011, 03:01 AM   #96
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc 44 View Post
I listened to the Carole King album "A Christmas Carole" at the weekend and quite enjoyed it. Michael Bublé is getting so much exposure atm, I think we're all going to be sick of him pretty soon.
Agreed, Buble is getting a little too much radio play at the moment, but at least it's not Bieber or however it's spelt
Old 5 Jan 2012, 02:29 PM   #97
David
Ultimate Contributor

My favourite Christmas song is La Mer
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2012, 02:53 AM   #98
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
My favourite Christmas song is La Mer
Is this a Christmas song David? I cannot speak French, but the English version of this is "Beyond The Sea"
Old 7 Jan 2012, 03:05 AM   #99
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Not a Christmas song. The English translation is available on the YouTube site quoted by David, below the video.
'Beyond the Sea" is the same tune with totally unrelated English lyrics.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2012, 03:57 AM   #100
David
Ultimate Contributor

I was listening to La Mer after going out sailing (on Christmas day) - so, I cheated.

Incidentally, the French lyrics far outshine the English ones IMO
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2012, 07:19 AM   #101
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

David's counting of "La Mer" (lovely song, pity I only have the English version at present) is to my mind in the same vein as my including such as "Classical Gas" (Mason Williams), "Forever Tonight" (Jan Hammer) and "The Rose and the Cross" (Jean-Jacques Perrey) on my Christmas playlist; none of these are actually "Christmassy" (well, the Perrey one sounds with a bit of imagination like a carol), but they're such feel-good tracks that they fit the supposed Christmas mood perfectly. Far more so than tagging the Hallowe'en song "The Power of Love" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood as a Christmas song, merely because that happens to be when it first came out.

(Just under an hour (UK time) of Twelfth Night to go, then Christmas will be over for another 11^W 9 months...)
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2012, 02:33 PM   #102
ROBERT.BAK
Essential Contributor

Just a week to go, and nobody's given this thread its annual bump yet?

All together now:

"It's Christmas time —
— Again —
It's time to be nice to the people I just can't stand,
All year,
I'm growing tired of all this Christmas cheer."

(Blink-182, I Won't Be Home For Christmas)
ROBERT.BAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2012, 03:09 PM   #103
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I'm just reminded of a Youtube clip in the news a few days ago, with Kim Wilde and her brother on a train trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ij8BpOa-Pg
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2012, 03:22 AM   #104
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I hope this is no creepy omen that I see this topic pop up while listening to this ; most likely my worst ever guilty pleasure, I should be hiding in my basement out of shame now Well, the song does preach spreading love so with a little twist it would suit the Christmas mood...

Anyways, 10,000 Maniacs have a beautiful song called "Noah's Dove", not sure if it is metaphorically or Christmas inspired but it's very beautiful and calming (as are many Natalie Merchant songs, both solo and with 10,000 Maniacs)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2013, 03:22 PM   #105
Ziesha008
= Permanently banned =

I like them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc 44 View Post
What are your choices for worst Christmas song, and best Christmas song (or piece of music). There's plenty of good and bad out there, I wonder how many in the worst list will also feature in the best list

For me the worst has to be,
Nat King Cole ~ I'm The Happiest Christmas Tree,
it's just sooo iritating (the rest of his Christmas album is very good however).

The best songs IMO are,
Greg Lake ~ I believed in Father Christmas and
Bing Crosby & David Bowie ~ The Little Drummer Boy

_Malc
Ziesha008 is offline   Reply With Quote