EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Aug 2020, 07:53 AM   #1
fhapgood
Master of the @

locating texts

I would like to put a text file somewhere in my account such that other people can access that file when they desire. I know this is possible but I have forgotten the procedure. Where can I find the text that tells me what to do?
fhapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Aug 2020, 10:16 AM   #2
Grhm
Essential Contributor

You could add it to your Fastmail web-site.
Instructions here:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/files/....html#standard
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2020, 10:52 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Multiple ways to share files

There are several ways to do this:
  • Create a full website (as already described in the previous post). This is probably too complex for simple sharing as you requested.
  • Sharing a folder in Files
    • Go to Files in your Fastmail account
    • Create and appropriately name a new folder for your file(s) to be shared. For instance, a folder named Shared.
    • Open the new Shared folder in the Fastmail Files area.
    • Either drag a file or files into that folder, or use the Upload tool at the top to upload files or folders.
    • By default, the folder (and files contained within) are Private (not shared).
    • If you navigate back up to the root and click the Private link for the Shared folder, you can choose to enable sharing for all files in that folder. Anyone who gets that link can download the complete contents of that folder as a zip file (with no password required).
    • If you continue on the Share dialog, you can create a website which is connected to that folder.
      • You can create this website at any alias you control (either a Fastmail domain where you have an alias or your own domain). You can also us a subdomain at that alias address and/or a path.
      • You want to publish as Website. Confirm that the folder to be published is correct.
      • Optionally you can require a password. No username is required.
      • You should check the option to List folder contents if no index.html
      • If you want visitors to be able to also upload files to that folder, enable that option.
      • Click Save when everything is complete.
      • Anyone who discovers that URL (even accidentally) can read your files in that folder unless you require password access.
  • You can also click the Shared/Private link associated with an individual file in your shared folder, whether or not the whole folder is shared. You can choose to get a secret link (with a very long URL) to that specific file.
So you can see that you can use several different ways to provide remote access to a file or folder. This is another amazing feature available to Fastmail users that most users probably don't realize is available. I find it's best to experiment with the Fastmail user interface and you will discover many such interesting features. The Files basic feature has been available for many years, but in the last couple of years many improvements have been made to the feature set and ease of use.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote