EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Aug 2016, 01:01 PM   #1
InquiringMind

Fastmail IMAP Thunderbird

Hello Everyone,

My guest account at Fastmail is overflowing again and I wanted a better way to save emails than the usual downloading of zipped files.

I setup Thunderbird for IMAP and the first problem I encountered was Fastmail would not accept my password from Thunderbird. Subsequently I discovered that you must setup a separate password for each interface other than the usual webmail.

Next I noticed that I was only getting Inbox, Sent, Junk, and Trash folders.
I had many more and wondered why they were not showing. Subsequently I discovered that you have to Right Click on the Accountname and Choose Subscribe. This brings up a list of your other folders and you check each one and then click subscribe.

That got me more of the folders but not all. Then I discovered that I had made many of my folders child of Sent. I renamed all of the folders and made the parent None. Then I re-performed the Subscribe process. That got me the rest of my folders.

Next I realized that Thunderbird in IMAP only displays what is in the folders that reside on the server, meaning if you delete from the server, the file disappears in Thunderbird. With a bit of research I found that if you hold CTRL and drag each folder down to where the directory tree says "Local Folders" you get a copy on your hard disk that you can access from your Thunderbird which remains even if you delete the folder and files from the server. And if you want to put it on disk or usb stick, you can right click on an individual email and choose "Save As".

My question to anyone who is still awake after reading all this
Is there any way to save whole folders to usb or optical disk?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this.
InquiringMind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Aug 2016, 01:40 PM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Hello, InquiringMind: I am really pleased that you are receiving such exquisite service with only a guest account.

I had a 'member account' (about fifteen years ago) but traded it in (for a better paid account) - it was my bad. I laud your perseverance.

What is happening now, is that all the paid accounts will be more expensive (in the future) I would advise to hang on to your guest account (till death do us part) - it's a really good deal for sure.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2016, 02:36 PM   #3
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringMind View Post

My question to anyone who is still awake after reading all this
Is there any way to save whole folders to usb or optical disk?
Got to:
  1. Settings
  2. Folders
Now scroll to the bottom.
You will see
Quote:
Mass delete or remove duplicates
Click this and you will then see an option to download messages from a folder.
If you choose this, a zip file will be created for you.

Be careful to choose "Download" rather than the "Delete" button which is right below the download button.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2016, 04:46 PM   #4
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks for the info guys....I am thinking about Thunderbird or Roundcube.
Have either of you tried Roundcube.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2016, 02:15 AM   #5
InquiringMind

Thanks guys.

I have figured it out. Once you setup IMAP on Thunderbird, you hold down CTRL and drag folders down to "Local Folders" in the directory tree. This gives you copies of the email files on your hard drive accessible to Thunderbird. Then you highlight groups of these Local Folders and Right Click and Choose Export All Messages-> In .eml Format. You then select a folder on your hard disk to put them into and what you get is the Original folder names with a subfolder labeled Messages and inside that folder are all of the .eml files. Then you can transfer them to USB or burn them to optical disc. Hope this helps the next user.
InquiringMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2016, 03:09 AM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

The Thunderbird extension, ImportExportTools works very well for saving e-mails locally.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote