EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 7 Jan 2000, 07:01 AM   #1
fidomusic

Post Excite v Hotmail

I was just browsing through the free email
listings and read a couple of negative comments about Excite. Whilst agreeing with these comments about the hopefully now past
access problems I would like to balance the negativity by explaining why I stick with Excite. They have the usual features that other free web mailers have and a rather pleasantly colorful GUI, but the main reason I continue to use Excite is because they have an EXCELLENT address book. Their address book was good anyway - best I've seen on any free web mailer, but they recently improved it and now it is outstanding. You now get a whole page for each person full of fields for name, email addresses, phone numbers, postal adresses, fax numbers etc. Highly recommended for anyone to whom a good address book with their mailer is important.

In contrast, I was using hotmail before, and a friends emails to me were going to another person with the same name! When I tried to complain it was impossible to make contact with a human being - all I got was generic email responses. I would never use hotmail again and would not recommend it to anyone.
fidomusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Jan 2000, 07:55 AM   #2
Rift

Lightbulb

Yeah I agree with you about Hotmail's support. I asked them a tech support question about a month or 2 ago and still haven't gotten a reply. Hotmail has nice support for Outlook Express though. What really confuses me is that Outlook 2000 doesn't support Hotmail.

Excite does have a nice address book. It has thanks to TrueSync it's easy to sync address books with Outlook 2000. I like Yahoo better though. It has TrueSync just like Excite, and also has free POP and SMTP access.
Rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2000, 10:58 AM   #3
heypete

Quote:
Originally posted by Rift:
Yeah I agree with you about Hotmail's support. I asked them a tech support question about a month or 2 ago and still haven't gotten a reply. Hotmail has nice support for Outlook Express though. What really confuses me is that Outlook 2000 doesn't support Hotmail.

Excite does have a nice address book. It has thanks to TrueSync it's easy to sync address books with Outlook 2000. I like Yahoo better though. It has TrueSync just like Excite, and also has free POP and SMTP access.
Excite has POP/SMTP access? I didn't know that.

What I really like is the Excite Voicemail, which my previous employer, General Magic http://www.genmagic.com/ provides for Excite. It's all voice-activated, so the caller doesn't need to know any key-commands, and you can pick up the voicemail and faxes right in your Excite mailbox. :-)
Old 13 Jan 2000, 12:04 PM   #4
Rift

Sorry, worded that wrong. Yahoo has POP/SMTP access, Excite does not.
Rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2000, 06:57 AM   #5
Misery

Excite is pretty good when the server isn't down because of hackers from excite chat. I had a lot of trouble with excite last year so I switched to visto. I don't like hotmail at all. I used hotmail when I was a newbie, then I found excite chat and started to use the email. Excite is ok if you don't need urgent access and I do. I volunteer for a free webserver, so I have to have access to my email.
Misery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2000, 07:30 PM   #6
investig8

Excite IS good, but let's be objective. They have a *horrible* quirk. I've noticed, if you're composing a really long email, if you've taken too long in their estimation, they log you off when you try to send it. Other providers, at least, go ahead and send the message on, THEN log you off. This is VERY annoying!
investig8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2000, 11:15 AM   #7
ROBERT.BAK
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by investig8:
Excite IS good, but let's be objective. They have a *horrible* quirk. I've noticed, if you're composing a really long email, if you've taken too long in their estimation, they log you off when you try to send it.
This is one reason why I for one prefer SMTP/POP3 access, and regard Web-based e-mail as being about as useful as a lace firebucket...
ROBERT.BAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2000, 03:40 AM   #8
Miss B Haven

Thumbs down

I don't use hotmail so I won't comment on it. However, I am an excite email user and can not believe it still does not have a spell-checker. How pathetic!
Miss B Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2016, 09:40 PM   #9
toolmaster

Stop complaining.

I have tried various providers for many, many years and prefer Excite over all others. I have been using them for 20 years now. The two features that are most useful to me are the address book with the check boxes for the addressees and the separate window for the emails.

The best feature by far is that it is free. It is not forced upon you. You do not have to use it. If you do not like it, find another that suits you. Stop your immature complaining. If you cannot spell that is your problem and your fault and it is you that are pathetic. The onus is on you to learn to spell correctly. (BTW : You should have used 'cannot' in this case and 'believe' is irrelevant - a fact is stated. Computers cannot teach these things.)

Rawle!
toolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2016, 09:50 PM   #10
walesrob
Essential Contributor

16 years
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote