EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > The Technical Zone...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Technical Zone... The Geeky forum... Use this forum to discuss technical aspects of email, from authentication protocols to encryption.

Old 16 Jan 2005, 07:59 AM   #1
Carefree Frank

Question Email virus...

I know that sooner or later I will end up opening some dodgy email, its bound to happen. What I`d like to know is, is it possible to check an email for a virus? I know you can scan attachments, I`ve learnt that much, but is it possible that the minute you open the mail that the virus starts? I`d be grateful for any detail you can give me.
Carefree Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Jan 2005, 06:56 PM   #2
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

It is possible with unpatched versions of Outlook Express. if you have the latest patces I don't think it is possible as long as your security settings are high enough for OE and don't allow JavaScript in mail messages for Thunderbird. Other clients have different settings. You could always view all messages in plain text to be extra sure, if your client allows this.

With webmail it is more likely as you (or I) tend to have lower security settings for IE (if you use this). This depends on how secure your browser is. It's probably better to view these in plain text first if you can.

You've got to trust the sender to some extent and don't open it if you don't know who it's from.

Last edited by Adrian Bell : 16 Jan 2005 at 07:04 PM.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2005, 02:51 AM   #3
Carefree Frank

Question

So its not just attachments that you have to mistrust?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 04:02 AM   #4
badkarma

That is correct. An email in HTML format should also be suspect. That's why some people advocate turning off HTML display when viewing email.
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2005, 05:49 AM   #5
rob_au
Master of the @

Representative of:
Bluebottle.com
Quote:
Originally posted by badkarma
That is correct. An email in HTML format should also be suspect. That's why some people advocate turning off HTML display when viewing email.
I would note that it is not the HTML itself which is suspicious, but rather the fact that many mail clients which render HTML messages additionally allow insecure scripted actions such as the ActiveX components to be incorporated into the viewed message. It is this action which can lead to system compromise.
rob_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2005, 07:28 AM   #6
Carefree Frank

Question

Its all very tricky. Is there nothing you can trust on the net? Are all emails really so dangerous?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 08:12 AM   #7
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
When you get attachments from unknown people, or maybe even friends but the content of the mail is strange. Such as here is your password or something you requested but you never request anything then those are the virus emails. Also always run an updated antivirus and it will scna through when mails are being downloaded.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2005, 08:31 AM   #8
badkarma

Quote:
Originally posted by Carefree Frank
Its all very tricky. Is there nothing you can trust on the net? Are all emails really so dangerous?
I would think not. It's a matter of exercising some judgement on your part. As an extreme example, I make it a habit to never open any attachments that require an application (PowerPoint, Word, etc) unless I sent it myself or know who sent it and what is to be expected. But that's only me and others may not be as paranoid to that extent.

Last edited by badkarma : 17 Jan 2005 at 08:38 AM.
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2005, 08:41 AM   #9
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Actually, you can receive viruses without opening an attachment.

If you can, disable activex controls and HTML in your mail client.

Webmail is a tricky one though.

Just remember to have an antivirus.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2005, 08:43 PM   #10
Carefree Frank

I`ve been lucky with emails so far, though I have to admit to being tempted to open some curious mail, but thought better of it. Now I`ve found its almost as dangerous just surfing. Several times now I`ve gone to a site after doing a search, and the minute I`ve opened the page, I hear that darn horse whinny. Its a minefield out there...lol
Old 18 Jan 2005, 01:44 AM   #11
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by xbot
Webmail is a tricky one though
Responsible webmail providers will remove most potentially dangerous content as they generate the page. If you use a provider that has it's own antivirus, and avoid IE based browsers, I think it's fairly safe.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2005, 03:14 AM   #12
Adrian Bell

I use SpywareBlaster, it prevents known dangerous ActiveX controls from running and adds known problem sites to the Restricted Site Zone in IE. OE should always be set to Restriced Sites Zone anyway, mine is. It also has protection for Mozilla. the reason for using it is that if you just block all ActiveX controls you tend to lose things Flash as well.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2005, 06:58 AM   #13
JshLnsctt

If you have something like Nortons it will scan every e-mail in outlook express as far as I know
JshLnsctt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2005, 07:32 AM   #14
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Most virus scanners only scan pop email though.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote