EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: My email provider has my number, and I have:
Definitely received cold calls directly attributable to having been sourced from my provider. 1 7.69%
Never received cold calls directly attributable to having been sourced from my provider. 12 92.31%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Jan 2022, 09:04 PM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Giving your email provider your personal phone number

It seems that there are some people that are dead set in never wanting to provide their personal phone number to their email provider, lest they get bombarded with endless spamming cold calls as a result - this poll is not for you.

Questions are simple - There are two choices, you may only pick one, and the poll is anonymous.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Jan 2022, 11:34 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Question: how can you tell which cold calls are directly attributable to having been sourced from your provider? Do you really expect the caller to start "Hello Fred, I got your number from <provider name> and I wonder whether you want to buy a life insurance policy?"
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2022, 11:51 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

By the way, if you use a Pixel phone Google has some amazing spam call filtering going on. I almost never get a spam call that rings through. In any case, I set a group of contacts as "Favorites" who can ring through no matter what, and almost every other caller I just don't answer. If it is important they will leave a message and I can call back.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2022, 03:06 AM   #4
jtayd

If iPhone look at the true caller and Whoscall will both pud blocked numbers under the blocked caller list in phone on settings menu ios.
jtayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2022, 08:39 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

An option is to purchase a special number that you give out. I do this with NumberBarn. Others have used Google Voice numbers that are free, but I have found that some services will not send codes to GV numbers for some reason. So far, my NumberBarn number works perfectly to receive codes. I'm thinking in the future of using a NumberBarn number as my main phone contact number while keeping my actual cellphone number private just for use by family and a few very limited number of contacts.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2022, 08:45 PM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
An option is to purchase a special number that you give out. I do this with NumberBarn.
In the UK, I use FlexTel, it looks like they offer a service similar to NumberBarn.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote