EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Aug 2018, 11:54 AM   #16
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Be sure to set delivery alias at your new domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
... I am probably doing something wrong
Is it still not working? Do you have an alias set up for your domain incoming mail? Here is how you do this:
  • Let's assume your domain is "example.org" - that's a reserved domain name in the internet standards for discussing domains.
  • You need to go to the Settings>Aliases screen and add one or more aliases at example.org where you want to receive mail.
  • For example, add *@example.org to receive mail sent to any alias at your domain. You need to specify Deliver to: at some existing address (such as the default, which is your main Fastmail account email address). That is the mailbox which will receive new messages.
  • By default messages sent to your domain will be delivered to your Inbox after you set up an alias. If you want to have messages sent to your domain delivered to your (already existing) MyDomain folder, then set up a Deliver to: target address of: "me+MyDomain@fastmailadr.com" (where "me@fastmailadr.com is your Fastmail main account address).
  • Be sure that Restrict senders: is set to "Allow anyone to send to this address".
  • Also be sure to click Save at the top to save your new alias.
If all else fails, ask for Fastmail support assistance. They can see what you have done -- we can't.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2018, 08:13 PM   #17
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks n5bb. I click on my domain and it says
DKIM not configured
SPF not configured

I have already done TXT Data

It seems FM requires far more than Joe Average has skill for
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2018, 10:54 PM   #18
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

That’s why they recommend that you let Fastmail host your DNS records. You go to the reseller site that sold you the domain and change the nameserver NS records to point to Fastmail servers. The instructions are in Fastmail help. Then Fastmail handles DKIM, SPF, etc. You can still add A records if you have a website.

Bill
Old 16 Aug 2018, 04:47 AM   #19
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I turned this over to FM by setting MX records to point to my domain. been couple days and FM has not confirged for me.if I can't and FM don't seem to there is no where else to go
Old 16 Aug 2018, 05:00 AM   #20
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Fastmail staff can’t configure anything for you if you point your domain MX records to Fastmail. As I pointed out, you would have to contact your domain reseller and point your NS (nameserver) records to Fastmail. That’s a completely different operation.

Bill
Old 16 Aug 2018, 05:20 AM   #21
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I maybe was not too clear, I went to Domain Host l an pointed my MX Records to FM and FM says they are correct and active I got the idea that if i did this that FM would configure the rest like TTL etc
Old 16 Aug 2018, 06:05 AM   #22
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

No, that's not correct. If you only pointed your MX records to Fastmail, your DNS is still hosted at some other site and the TTL timeout and other settings would have to be made at that domain host.

If you go to your domain reseller (where you purchased your domain) and change your domain nameservers (NS) records to point to Fastmail, you will be able to control all of your DNS settings at this page:
Fastmail Settings>Domains>(your domain)
In this case, Fastmail can automatically configure DKIM, SPF, etc.

Bill
Old 16 Aug 2018, 10:48 AM   #23
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Bill I will try some more my skill level is not so high though
Old 16 Aug 2018, 11:13 AM   #24
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks n5bb I am enclosing some info with some info left of The requested info below is beyond my ability

The MX servers for your domain are set correctly: your email is hosted at FastMail. Add aliases or users at your domain for the addresses you wish to use.

so.
Domain Security
DKIM is not configured!

DKIM configuration is out of date! Please update your DKIM records: remove old TXT records for mesmtp, add new records for CNAME.

DKIM helps the receiving system know your message is not spam, by electronically signing your email to verify it was sent by you. FastMail signs your mail with DKIM automatically once you add the following CNAME records to the DNS for your domain with your registrar:

CNAME Domain CNAME Data

Learn more
SPF is not configured!

Adding FastMail to the SPF record for your domain allows receivers to know our servers are authorised to send mail for your domain. Otherwise, your messages are more likely to be treated as spam. To do this, you need to add the following TXT record to the DNS for the domain:

TXT Domain TXT Data
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:15 PM   #25
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Try this:
  • Go to https://who.is/ and enter your domain name.
  • Registrar Info: Shows where your domain name is controlled. This is where you need to log in to point your NS (nameserver) records to Fastmail.
  • Important Dates: When your domain name was registered and when that registration expires. After the expiration date you can lose ownership of your domain.
  • Name servers: This shows where your DNS (domain records) are hosted. If you point your NS to Fastmail so that your DNS is hosted at Fastmail, these should show something like the following (the IP addresses might not be identical to these):
    ns1.messagingengine.com 162.159.24.178
    ns2.messagingengine.com 162.159.25.191
  • Here are the instructions to do what I describe above (hosting your DNS at Fastmail):
    https://www.fastmail.com/help/receiv...etup-nsmx.html

Bill
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:20 PM   #26
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

As Bill pointed out...This

Then look for where you can change the "name servers" for your domain. You want to make sure there are only two values, and that the two values are:
ns1.messagingengine.com
ns2.messagingengine.com
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:44 PM   #27
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I ave been using my domains for 15 years with Namecheap hosting the domains and email with with RB and FM Never had a problem with RB and not with FM when they were using Classic interface.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:47 PM   #28
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

You don't have to use SPF or DKIM. But I suggest that it's better if you do.

Bill
Old 16 Aug 2018, 02:12 PM   #29
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
I ave been using my domains for 15 years with Namecheap hosting the domains and email with with RB and FM Never had a problem with RB and not with FM when they were using Classic interface.
It's not really clear what set up you had. The particulars about hosting email with FM haven't really changed between the old interface and the new one.

As long as the MX records for your domain point to FM, you can receive email at FM. Just like before, you just need to set up the addresses (as accounts or aliases).

You can optionally configure things like DKIM and SPF. It's a good idea to do so because it fights spam. If you don't, email from your domain is more likely to be marked as spam by the recipients' servers.

The simplest approach is to switch to using FastMail's DNS servers instead of (I assume) Namecheap's because FastMail automatically sets up all those records for you on its DNS servers. All you do is tell Namecheap you want to use FastMail's DNS servers instead of Namecheap's, and you're done.

If you stick with Namecheap's servers, I assume you have to figure out a bunch of technical details on how to configure SPF and DKIM, and then add the appropriate records to Namecheap's servers.

If I were you, I'd take the easy way out and just set the DNS servers for your domain to FastMail's.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2018, 02:15 AM   #30
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I set MX Records to FM and created Alias's

he MX servers for your domain are set correctly: your email is hosted at FastMail. Add aliases or users at your domain for the addresses you wish to use.

Yet nothing happens