EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Dec 2015, 11:42 PM   #1
JMac
Essential Contributor

Spammer Suddenly Getting Through

A little baffling as to how this one spammer has suddenly started getting through my spam filter.

I am using the Fastmail "Normal" Spam Protection setting. My Spam Bayes Status is:
Num spam learned: 3785
Num non-spam learned: 17535
Bayes database used: user

Since September 2, 2014 I have received 57 total messages from this spammer, with spam scores ranging from 7.5 to 34.1. Now suddenly I received email messages from them on 11/24, 11/29, and 12/1 scored as 3.7, 2.3, and 0.0 respectively. So naturally I had to manually report them as spam. But how and why is this spammer suddenly scoring so low?

Oddly enough, the header for the message today scoring 0.0 has a line that says:
spam-known-sender: yes

which you would think would be factored in somehow.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Dec 2015, 12:16 AM   #2
TheVedge

I'm having the same problems. Received more spam in the past 24 hours in my inbox than in the past year!
TheVedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2015, 12:23 AM   #3
glass

The X-Spam-known-sender header means they're a sender you know (are in your address book) not that they're a known sender of spam but that shouldn't have happened, it seems there's a bug occurring right now.

It looks like every email is getting an "X-Spam-known-sender: yes" header, as of around 7 hours ago (1/12 9:20am UTC is the first one I received with it, 8:57am UTC is the last one without it, so it started happening somewhere in that 23 minute window), and every message with that header gets past the spam filter.

Can't help you with the earlier ones with lower scores though.

Last edited by glass : 2 Dec 2015 at 12:34 AM.
glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2015, 01:10 AM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Bad time of day for this. Australia is asleep.

If anyone who sees this has a way to ask for emergency assistance, do it now. Some will get deluged with spam if this is a general problem.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2015, 01:24 AM   #5
schmoe
Essential Contributor

The file-into-folders process has stopped working for me over the past eight or so hours. I have a ton of groupon-esque emails that I direct into one folder. I have ton of ticketmaster-esque folders that I direct into another. Now they are polluting my inbox.

Perhaps my folder problem and the spam problem are part of a broader problem.
schmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2015, 01:55 AM   #6
jaybea28309

I am getting the same problem with the x-spam-known-sender field, starting at about the same time. The impact may depend on how your filters are set up, because in the default sieve filter setup the test for x-spam-known-sender is at the start, and having it set as "yes" could make your other rules not work, or work in unusual ways.

Now that I know that x-spam-known sender means known not spam, I have changed my filters so that it does not dump all flagged mail into my spam folder, which is where it has all being going today!
jaybea28309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2015, 03:13 AM   #7
astrodog73

Another - more spam in my inbox this morning than the past 2 years aggregate..... all sent to an operamail.com alias, and I note the 'X-Spam-known-sender: yes' header in messages.....
astrodog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2015, 04:00 AM   #8
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Good morning! Sorry I didn't see this last night. Yep, we're looking into it now, just woke up

Bron.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2015, 04:38 AM   #9
errrr

Glad it's not just me then!
errrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2015, 04:54 AM   #10
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Add my name to the "me too" list. In my case, spam is getting around a filter that I established to block a TO address.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2015, 05:00 AM   #11
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Fixed now. Was a stupid little API mismatch bug which was actually introduced over a week ago but the spam scanner servers didn't get the update until yesterday, which made it harder to find the cause!
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2015, 05:17 AM   #12
paul29

Thanks Bron. It's times like this when I remember to appreciate how well the spam filters work most of the time. This morning I had upwards of 75 spam messages in my inbox! I'm glad that it's fixed so quickly.
paul29 is offline   Reply With Quote