EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Mar 2016, 12:10 AM   #1
jezemine

spam filters down?

I am getting a ton of spam in the inbox over last 12 hours or so. Normally spam is filtered out pretty well.

Are the spam filters working for others?
jezemine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Mar 2016, 11:48 PM   #2
akorvemaker
Master of the @

I've noticed a significant increase in spam over the last couple days, both in my spam folder and in my inbox. Most of it is one of:
  • a blank message from my address with attached "Document2.zip"
  • subject "FW: Payment Receipt" with an attached zip file
  • subject "Sixt Invoice: 7802815568 from 24.03.2016" with an attached .doc file
  • subject "FW: Payment Details - [409346]" with an attached .zip file
Others have noticed some of these too: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=71602

It's not just you

That said, while some has gotten through to my inbox, the spam filter seems to be catching about 60% of them now. I have my spam protection set to "Aggressive" (as it has been for years).

Andy
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2016, 01:54 AM   #3
rakarnik

I started the other thread.

After a couple of days of training, the "Document2" ones are being caught by the spam filter (three so far today).
rakarnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2016, 06:35 AM   #4
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakarnik View Post
I started the other thread.

After a couple of days of training, the "Document2" ones are being caught by the spam filter (three so far today).
Spam is an inexact science.

I might add, most of these contain viruses that are not even cataloged by the major antivirus providers. Virus heuristic scanning is an inexact science as well.

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2016, 11:16 PM   #5
physci

Are the spam filters down again? I'm seeing all spam being routed to my inbox over the past 15 minutes.
physci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2016, 11:05 PM   #6
physci

It's happening again today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by physci View Post
Are the spam filters down again? I'm seeing all spam being routed to my inbox over the past 15 minutes.
physci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2016, 06:18 AM   #7
fastuser2015

Came here looking for a thread like this - glad it's not just me.

Am being bombarded today. Really spammy-looking spam is ending up with X-Spam-scores of 2 and lower.

Also of note - it's all coming in on an email address only ever used with an old Dropbox account. Wonder if there's a pattern?
fastuser2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2016, 01:19 PM   #8
paul29

I didn't notice anything unusual today regarding spam.
paul29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2016, 01:28 PM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Everything looks normal to me.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2016, 05:05 PM   #10
fastuser2015

Wonder why so many have been getting through here..?

An example, with dodgy URL neutered, that arrived with
X-Spam-score: 2.2

<SNIPPED>

Can post more headers if anyone is interested...

Last edited by fastuser2015 : 13 Oct 2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 10:19 AM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I recommend that you read the forum rules (especially the second rule post) at the top of the root of this forum. Posting specific bad language doesn't help us respond and since this forum is spidered by Google and other search services the bad content will be associated with you (the poster) and this forum. You can edit your previous posts.

If the spam is only being delivered to one of your incoming addresses, you can easily filter all of these to the spam folder by creating a rule as follows:
Any recipient's email is exactly (your email address)
Move the message to (Spam)
SAVE (at the top)

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2016, 02:20 PM   #12
Bamb0
Master of the @

Yea your right bud... Once GOOGLE or whoever has it indexed IT IS HARD TO GET AWAY FROM IT!!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2016, 06:26 PM   #13
fastuser2015

Guys am very sorry for that, did not intend to cause any offence and have removed the text of the email as requested.

I only posted it to demonstrate how very very spammy the message was, I mean this did not look in any way like ham, and given how you guys reacted to it I'm sure you agree.

My main reason for coming here was surprise at how this screaming-out-loud spam, and a whole host of other obscene messages like it, walked straight past the Fastmail filtering which I usually find extremely good.

Bill, thanks for mentioning the rule, I will probably block this email address altogether soon because I'm tired of seeing these messages, but I suppose my bigger point was - is the filtering getting worse? Or are the spammers getting cleverer?

At the moment am going to leave it live to see how long it takes the filtering to learn from me manually marking all these as junk.

Because if these guys got hold of one of my main email addresses I'd be inundated and obviously couldn't just block that by destination.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 06:06 PM   #14
fastuser2015

Solved

Just to follow up on my own post here...

I had assumed that just moving a mail to the Junk Mail folder via IMAP would make Fastmail learn it as Spam.

I also thought just moving something out of the Junk Mail folder through IMAP would make Fastmail learn it as Not Spam.

Well - that's not how it works at all...

I have now and created "This is spam" and "This is not spam" learning folders, and am pleased to say these messages are now getting X-Spam-Scores of 5 + and no longer fouling my inbox. Have not blocked the email address altogether yet as I think this is a useful test of the learning capabilities of the filter...

Instructions here in case anyone else finds themselves in this position:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/receiv...ml#spamfolders