EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 5 Jul 2011, 12:01 AM   #1
kaela

Long-standing holes in filter/trainer...

Why day after month after year do the usual suspects and several dozen more keep showing up in my inbox despite daily trashing:

Most blatant examples:

JC Penney
Tiger Direct
Mother Jones
Motley Crew

And most lately, Modnique...

And I DO appreciate RunBox for catching usually/sometimes as many as several hundred spams/day, resulting from my 20+ year old email address (my own domain, not an online client). On the other hand I still have to review each one on the list before trashing the trash...is this the state of the art?
kaela is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Jul 2011, 06:34 AM   #2
digp
Master of the @

It may not be possible with runbox as they insist you point your domain to their MX BUT if runbox will allow it I suggest you use postini (about $12 a year) to filter your email and then deliver it onto the runbox MX for delivery to your runbox account.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2011, 04:46 AM   #3
kaela

@digp

filter your email and then deliver it onto the runbox MX for delivery to your runbox account

This is what I pay RunBox every year to do...with all due respect.

Last edited by kaela : 12 Jul 2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 07:14 AM   #4
digp
Master of the @

well then, with respect, you are wasting your money
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2011, 11:14 AM   #5
kaela

Spam...

I guess what I'm paying for is the 100-300 spams/day that ARE caught in the process, but which I still have to audit every day before permanant deletion...

On the other hand, not being an IT person, it's beyond me why it's so hard to filter common crap like I mentioned above...

Suggestions are welcome; I don't really want to change my email address this late in life (tied to a domain I have owned for 20 years...)
Old 12 Jul 2011, 05:07 PM   #6
dbowdley
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi kaela,

Just as spam filters are very sophisticated, so are spammers, and there are a number of ways they can avoid spam filters.

Although the spam filters will catch a lot of spam, you say you are still auditing them. Obviously Runbox can't do that for you as some may be genuine messages.

You don't say whether you are actually training the spam filter. Are you? To be more effective the spam filter needs you to tell it which messages that are getting through are spam. This helps it filter these in future.

As for needing to change your domain. I don't see why this is (unless you are talking about an email address ending in @runbox.com) as you can use your domain with many other email providers too.

If you think there is a problem with your particular account, then you can always raise a support ticket and someone will look in to it for you. I'll also mention this thread to some of my other Runbox colleagues and they can take a look.

Dave
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I need your username in order to check your settings though,so please open a support ticket, thanks.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2011, 06:18 PM   #8
tomhab
Essential Contributor

This is a bit of an issue... I've been very careful in how I configure my filters and it's pretty much rock solid here, but that's after years of figuring out how to get it to work correctly.

One thing that I still find annoying is that there isn't a setting so that replying to emails doesn't whitelist them (I know some people may not like it so that's why it would be a setting).
tomhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2011, 11:34 PM   #9
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhab View Post
This is a bit of an issue... I've been very careful in how I configure my filters and it's pretty much rock solid here, but that's after years of figuring out how to get it to work correctly.

One thing that I still find annoying is that there isn't a setting so that replying to emails doesn't whitelist them (I know some people may not like it so that's why it would be a setting).
Add the user to your contacts and they are whitelisted.

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2011, 07:34 AM   #10
kaela

Persistent Spam...

@dbowdley

You don't say whether you are actually training the spam filter. Are you? To be more effective the spam filter needs you to tell it which messages that are getting through are spam. This helps it filter these in future.

If you think there is a problem with your particular account, then you can always raise a support ticket and someone will look in to it for you. I'll also mention this thread to some of my other Runbox colleagues and they can take a look.

=====
I fooled around with the filters in the early years and found them frustratingly ineffective. I'm sure they are better now. I have a bigger issue now since upgrading to W7 and Windows Live Mail. In the years of Outlook Express and WXP I had very good results using MailWasher as my final spam filter--it does a great job establishing white and black lists and periodically checking the server.

However, I am finding a substantial latency in handshaking WLM with the Server. Sometimes it takes half to one hour to establish a mail download connection. Once an initial connect is established WLM checks the server automatically per my 10 minute setting, though there is a frequent delay of an hour or more. (that is, it seems like the server denies the request based on some rule...)

MailWasher, when installed between WLM and the server, finds the same issue and is not very usable, since my W7 install. Using them together I would sometimes get 4 to 6 duplicate email downloads...

Is there a ping frequency limitation in requesting mail download?

Current settings:
smtp/port 25
pop3/port 110

W7ULTx64-4gbRAM/2.66DuoCPU

Last edited by kaela : 20 Jul 2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: added appearance of request denial
Old 21 Jul 2011, 01:16 AM   #11
kaela

Windows Live Mail/Windows 7

This might be a good time to work on the forum support/setup issues of WLM, Windows' flagship email client.

WLM is acknowleged to be fraught with bugs and inconsistencies, and there is no upgrade version on the horizon from M$oft.

My biggest issue in upgrading from Outlook Express/WXP to Windows Live Mail/Windows 7 was transferring my Contacts...took several hours... WLM will not sync contacts directly to my iPhone, but there are at least 2 workarounds.

As I mentioned above, my biggest issue is the latency of fetching mail from the Runbox server, and this also interferes with my use of MailWasher, which I used for years with WXP. MailWasher provided a great final gateway filter for my RunBox service.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 05:21 PM   #12
dbowdley

Representative of:
Runbox.com
kaela,

I have spoken to my colleagues and confirmed that there is no limitation on the number of times you can request mail (unless you exceed the 2000 polls per day limit). However, if you check very frequently the server might cache the result it sends to you and just reply with the same result again for a short period. This is to protect the server from people checking too often and causing problems at the Runbox end. There is nothing that should cause your half hour delay in establishing a mail download.

If this is still a problem I would suggest you open a support ticket so that someone can have a look at your particular account. There aren't any other users reporting the same problem.

Dave
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2011, 01:48 AM   #13
kaela

WLM issues...

@dbowdley
I appreciate your support efforts...I have begun to use the filters again.

The WLM handshaking issue I have is only in my desktop W7x64 install, not my laptop x86 install, so it is obviously a local issue. If I allow WLM to periodically check the server, it functions flawlessly; if I get impatient and try to push the envelope manually I get:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Runboxx account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop3.runbox.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

Maybe eventually this issue will be resolved by M$oft and/or other forums...
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:06 AM   #14
kaela

Modnique spam

To be more effective the spam filter needs you to tell it which messages that are getting through are spam. This helps it filter these in future.

In the last few weeks I probably rejected 200 Modnique spams; obviously that aspect of the filter isn't getting the message...didn't work on the Tiger, JCPenney, and others that I mentioned above either...

I have started using the "delete"... "containing" part of the filter.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 06:17 PM   #15
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
If you only use a Email Client, then reporting it as spam in the client wont actually tell Runbox servers anything. There is no reporting functionality to the different email services.

If you plan on using the trainable spam-filter (active by default), you need to also use Webmail so that the spam filter can be trained by classifying emails as either legitimate or spam.

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote