EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 8 Aug 2016, 01:31 AM   #1
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Can anything be inferred from these bounces?

Can anyone tell me if any information can be inferred regarding the probable cause of three recent bounces of an email? The email was attempting to reach the same person, whom I'll designate here as "intended-recipient." I'll call the domain for the first two tries "domain-1.com".

The first try was sent to an address I had on file for this person -- intended-recipient@domain-1.com. After a day's delay, the message eventually bounced, with the following advisory:

host domain-1.com.inbound15.mxlogic.net [IP address] said: 451
Could not load DRD for domain (domain-1.com) rcpt (intended-recipient@domain-1.com) (in reply to RCPT TO command)

The second try was sent to a different userID (supplied by a mutual acquaintance as a possible alternative) at the same domain. The same one-day delay occurred, followed by the same bounce:

<intended-recipient-version-2@domain-1>: host domain-1.com.inbound15.mxlogicmx.net [IP address] said:
451 Could not load DRD for domain (domain-1.com) rcpt (intended-recipient-version-2@domain-1.com) (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Another acquaintance then supplied a third address at an entirely different domain, verizon.net, which had supposedly been successfully used by the intended recipient during the preceding month.

This time, the attempt to re-send the message bounced without a one-day delay:

<intended-recipient-version-3@verizon.net>: host relay.verizon.net [IP address] said: 550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: intended-recipient-version-3@verizon.net (in reply to RCPT TO command)

It is hard to imagine a situation in which all three of a person's email addresses would suddenly cease to exist, especially at different domains. Taken together, do the error messages announcing these three failed deliveries offer any technical information about the likely current status of the intended recipient's email situation, or does a likely explanation lie in some other and entirely personal direction?

Many thanks for any speculation.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Aug 2016, 07:32 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

DRD has to do with domain redirection, such as when a domain is being changed and all references to that domain need to be moved. It uses a DNAME record in DNS. See:
http://www.rfc-base.org/txt/rfc-6672.txt

Your post said that mxlogic.net (now McAfee SaaS) was reporting the issue. That's an email protection service. Does your email outgoing service provider use mxlogic/McAfee SaaS to check outgoing messages?

Since I can't see the actual domain-1, I can't tell you what's happening there. They might be moving their domain and added a DNAME record for the email domain used for the original email you were trying. A web search shows people complaining about your specific mxlogic error message.

The Verizon bounce tells us that the address you tried was not active at Verizon. Either there is a typo (wrong local-part or domain) or that account is closed for some reason.

I can think of many possible reasons for several email addresses to suddenly fail. The recipient may have closed old email accounts to reduce spam or they wish to become anonymous or they are incapacitated and their accounts were closed by family members or for non-payment. Some of these accounts may forward to others, and if the final destination is closed for some reason the forwarding systems may give odd error messages. It's also possible that some domain or email system settings are misconfigured at the recipient server or domain, and the recipient intends some or all of the old addresses to work.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote