EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Jun 2003, 06:43 PM   #1
leisuresuitlary

Question Confirm Reading

I want to mail people using the idea of firstname.lastname@companydomain.com. I am clearly not a spamer (and those of you who have read my past posts will confirm that I dont have nearly enough technological know-how to be one) so if this mail has overtones of dodgyness I am sorry. (Thought that spammers might truy using this to determine which of their mails get opened?)

I am sending a few CVs and want to know if the person has recieved or opened my mail. Is it possible to do this in FM, or genrally?

Larry
leisuresuitlary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Jun 2003, 07:12 PM   #2
specialK
Essential Contributor

I don't think it's possible using the web interface. Mail programs like Outlook Express will allow you to select a read receipt (find it in Tools>Options.

However the receiver can choose (for privacy reasons) whether to send a read receipt, which kinda invalidates it.

Maybe your could ask the recipients to reply as soon as possible?
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2003, 09:46 PM   #3
mammaduck
Cornerstone of the Community

There are programs and services out there that will let you "follow" an email. That way you will know if it was read, how long they were reading the email etc. etc. Some of them require a (monthly) fee to use these programs, but there has been a lot of discussions on this forum about "read receipts"See for instance here and here.

If you do a search on this forum for "read receipt" you will find a lot more threads and services/programs.

Hanneke
mammaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2003, 10:36 PM   #4
leisuresuitlary

Sounds like a potentialy unpopular course of action!

larry
leisuresuitlary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2003, 11:39 PM   #5
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

None of the these can be relied on anyway.

They either use return receipts (which have to be turned on at the other end) or they use web-bug techniques. Web-bugs are used by spammers to verify addresses, so a lot of people are aware of how to avoid them.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2003, 12:39 AM   #6
mrg

Quote:
Originally posted by leisuresuitlary
Sounds like a potentialy unpopular course of action!
Yes, if I were an employer and someone tried to spy on me with a web-bug I'd be very upset indeed and certainly not in an employing mood... :-) I'd be almost as annoyed with a read receipt.

I think that your best bet is to politely ask the addressee to confirm that he has received your mail.
mrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2003, 04:37 AM   #7
mklose
Cornerstone of the Community

How about hosting your CV on a website?

This way you can track (with the web server logs) how often people looked at it, and from where.

Also it has the advantage of not throwing unwanted megabytes of stuff into someones Mailbox. You just introduce yourself nicely, and then put in your CV etc as a link.
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote