EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

View Poll Results: How do you check your Fastmail.fm email?
Email client 20 44.44%
Web (FastMail.fm website) 25 55.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Aug 2003, 08:37 AM   #1
Chipmunk

How do you check your Fastmail.fm email?

...and why?
Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Aug 2003, 08:40 AM   #2
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

I use Thunderbird as my email client because I have multiple email accounts and I don't want to go to each site and log in seperately.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2003, 08:46 AM   #3
mklose
Cornerstone of the Community

I use the fastmail web interface pretty much exclusively now, it is just so nice and powerful! I do have it setup in Mozilla, but for some reason, which I can't really explain, I really prefer the web interface and use it 19/20 times.

Things I love:
I love the folder based sender addresses, I love the personalities, even the little search thing at the top of each window is so useful...OK, most email clients have that too.
Two of the best things: (1) The auto-add address to address book thing with it asking you if you want to, (2) the really great address entry, where you can just enter all kinds of short forms for names, you can even spell the name wrong a bit and it usually still gets the right address if you click the check address button that I mean.
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2003, 09:40 AM   #4
Lily

I use an email client when I want to compose in HTML (Outlook Express mostly, sometimes Thunderbird and Incredimail), and the web interface when I don't need HTML.
I retrieve my ISP and college accounts with Fastmail, and reply with identities. The only account I have to log in separately is the one from Yahoo (I got the account @ Yahoo USA, which doesn't provide retrieval from an email client for free anymore).

Hopefully, when Fastmail implements the HTML composition, I'll use FM's web interface exclusively

Since I use both things at this time, I haven't voted
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2003, 10:41 AM   #5
Gankaku

I use the web interface mostly because I enjoy using it. But also I use Outlook and have that running too. I compose html mail there and also use it to transfer mail between my imap accounts.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2003, 10:53 AM   #6
DBH

One of the reasons I like the web interface is the use of stylesheets. Speaking of stylesheets, aren't the new ones coming out soon?

Dave
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2003, 10:58 AM   #7
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally posted by DBH
Speaking of stylesheets, aren't the new ones coming out soon?
LOL!!
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2003, 11:01 AM   #8
psalzer

I use the web interface because I like all the features it has. Personalities are the most important to me. Once in a while I try to remember to synchronize with a client and I have a little send-only client that allows you to send from whatever address you want to put in which is the default for mailto links.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2003, 05:07 PM   #9
leisuresuitlary

I only started using IMAP (Mulberry) about three weeks ago. So far I still prefer the webinterface.

I tend to have Mulberry running as well as I can get it to check my mail every two minutes and use the notification feature instead of fastcheck (which i cant get to work properly on my dialup - although there is no problem on a LAN)

Larry
leisuresuitlary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2003, 08:31 PM   #10
snagle

web interface

I use the web interface almost exclusively. I access FastMail from six different computers on a regular basis. Since the web interface does everything I need, that seemed the simplest solution.
snagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2003, 10:14 PM   #11
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
... and I have a little send-only client that allows you to send from whatever address you want to put in which is the default for mailto links.
I like that! What client is that?

Windows can be configured to use the fastmail web interface to handle mailto: links. FastCheck can be used to make the configuration automatically. I don't use it because I couldn't see how to define different mailto: handlers for different users. It seems that Windows XP only allows to set up default apps (mail client, web browser atc.) globally, so all users of a machine must use the same app. Otherwise I would have set up my mailto: handler to be use fastmail web interface, and my wife's handler to use hotmail.

So what I really want is to be able to set up mail handlers per user. Then I would use the fastmail compose screen to compose.
An app that asks what app to use when a mailto: link is clicked and that can be configured to have different defaults per user would be great!
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2003, 10:18 PM   #12
specialK
Essential Contributor

I use the web interface mainly, because I find it so powerful and access my mail from my own and a number of other networked computers.

If I'm waiting for something important (or just bored on the train) I'll use the wap access (painful as the medium is).
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2003, 10:51 PM   #13
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I never understood the concept of "downloading email", or the need for an "email client". I started using email regularly in 1991, and used the UNIX mail command to read and send email till about two or three years ago. Since about 1998 I also used different free webmail services. I never used POP since it didn't fit with the basic requiremant that email should stay on the server, filed into appropriate folders (which on UNIX were then accessible from anywhere by telneting the server and using "mail -f foldername"). FastMail is the first service that is able to give me exactly what I wanted all these years and more. All I need is the web interface. If a free email client could do everything that the fastmail web interface does for me, I might use it, but then, why install this unnecessary software on my computer. It would have to give more functionality than the web interface does, or different functionality to be used when the web interface doesn't have the functionality (like HTML composing. But I didn't use it till now and I can wait till it's available on the web interface).

Last month I configured Outlook Express to handle my fastmail account, so I have a backup copy of my mail on my PC. But I still think my mail is safer on fastmail servers.

Actually I do use one little IMAP client - FastCheck - but it doesn't count!
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2003, 12:55 AM   #14
leehauser

I mostly use Mulberry, occasionally the web interface. I don't like using the web interface all the time because I can't stay online all the time when I'm on dialup. Also, I can't thread messages as well on the web interface as on the Mulberry client.
leehauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2003, 04:29 AM   #15
DarioMor
Essential Contributor

I use the Fastmail.fm website because each day I'm in different computer, in different places, with different connection speeds.

And it's FAST!

The true is that I choose FM as my main e-mail account because it's FAST and powerful web interface, folders with subfolders and the option to buy more disk space...
DarioMor is offline   Reply With Quote