EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 Sep 2007, 05:04 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Forwarding to two mailboxes

Is it possible to create a forwarding email address that forwards every mail not to one but to two mailboxes at once?

Is there a service that gives forwarding mail addresses which allows to do this? Or can you do it with own registered domainnames?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Sep 2007, 09:00 AM   #2
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Earthlink email has an option to autoforward to up to 10 other addresses. And Gmail can be set up to autoforward to two or more addresses through a combination of the forwarding and filtering options. I'm sure there ar others, but those are the two which come most quickly to mind.

If you mean a forwarding-only address, while I'm sure I've known of some in the past, I'm afraid I can't think of any at the moment, with the exception of bigfoot.com, which used to allow forwarding to up to 5 addresses, but that's now a paid feature and IMO even the free bigfoot isn't worth the price anymore.

Otherwise, I believe there may be other services with which it's possible to set up autoforwarding to more than one address through the use of filters, but the only ones which come to mind at the moment are two German services, gmx.net and directbox.com.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2007, 09:23 AM   #3
zhak
Master of the @

Tsunami,
  • At the bottom of the forum screen, there are links such as POP3 Email | Web Mail | Email Forwarding | IMAP Mail. Click on the 'forwarding' link. Some of the information on those pages is occasionally out of date, but should give you a start.
  • POBox.com has a following on these forums.
  • It's also easy to use a FastMail account as a forwarding service. Fastmail allows you to define multiple internal and/or external targets for every address you define.
  • Google Apps lets you create email addresses in your domain that are actually mailing lists, which then forward to 1, 2, or many addresses.
  • Most domain registrars forward mail, some allow to multiple addresses, however, do a search on these forums for registrars -- some are better than others, and email is not their primary business.
The Google Apps solution works, and is inexpensive (just the cost of a domain).

-Jim
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Mysteryman

Another Free option is to get a Google Groups account.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 11:03 PM   #5
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

While browsing some older forum threads, I was reminded of Inbox.lv, a Latvian service with an alternate Englsh interface which has the option to autoforward all messages to one or more other addresses without necessitating the use of filters (although filters can be used to autoforward selectively). Unlike directbox.com, which I referred to above, Inbox.lv forwarded-to address(es) needn't be previously "verified".
Old 27 Sep 2007, 12:08 AM   #6
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

A few more services with multi-forwarding (although I haven't checked/tested any of these recently):

Draze.com

Unlimitedmail.net (Mailing list feature)

Laposte.net (French interface only)

Last edited by xmailer : 27 Sep 2007 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Correction of Laposte.net URL
Old 27 Sep 2007, 01:05 AM   #7
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Gmail allows both forwarding and the setup of filters that forward.

I just include -jkgdfkgf (not a random string of characters) and that means all mail is processed, allowing forwarding to another address.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2007, 07:42 AM   #8
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
I just include -jkgdfkgf (not a random string of characters) and that means all mail is processed, allowing forwarding to another address.
Please explain. Include where? Is this some undocumented feature, or a Greasemonkey script trick?
Old 27 Sep 2007, 10:06 AM   #9
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post
Please explain. Include where? Is this some undocumented feature, or a Greasemonkey script trick?
In any of the text entry fields, I beleve: From, To, Subject, or "Has the words", I would assume. Although I haven't tried it, it might seem plausible that a similar random string might work in the "doesn't have" field without the preceding '-'. Actually, I haven't yet tried any of these myself, and I'm not sure whether it's officially documented anywhere, but I know it has come up at least a couple of times in the Gmail forum at this site, and as far as I know it is supposed to work.

I believe it's based on Gmail's search syntax which I believe is officially documented somewhere, although I don't have the time to look it up right now. But presumably it would be somewhere in the Gmail Help pages. And since as far as I know all the methods that work with the search feature also work with the filters, I guess you could say that it may be at least "semi-documented."
Old 27 Sep 2007, 11:18 AM   #10
zhak
Master of the @

Well, I could understand if he's just making a filter that will never be matched, but kaptitsky said it was NOT a random string of characters, implying this was of some specific importance.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 11:43 AM   #11
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yeah, until you reminded me I'd forgotten that I was briefly confused by the syntax of his sentence myself, but had more or less completely forgotten about it once I realized what he meant, which was that: "-jkgdfkgf" means "NOT [a specific random string]".
Old 27 Sep 2007, 11:47 AM   #12
zhak
Master of the @

Oh, thanks, NOT a random string...

and putting -jkgdfkgf in my Gmail search box yielded 20 messages...
Old 27 Sep 2007, 11:53 AM   #13
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post
Oh, thanks, NOT a random string...

and putting -jkgdfkgf in my Gmail search box yielded 20 messages...
Right, NOT a random string, NOT not a random string. lol

As I said, I've never tried that myself, but I can't help thinking that putting just "jkgdfkgf" in the "Doesn't have" field might be less confusing to try to explain.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 12:01 PM   #14
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer View Post
but I can't help thinking that putting just "jkgdfkgf" in the "Doesn't have" field might be less confusing to try to explain.
Agreed. Interestingly, putting -* in my search box yielded those same 20 messages, which have no indication why they would be matched.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 12:05 PM   #15
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
Gmail allows both forwarding and the setup of filters that forward.

"-" is "not"

"jkgdfkgf" is a random string of characters.

Seems to work for me. I tend to put it in the subject field.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote