EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 15 May 2010, 06:19 PM   #1
kelly

New (and improved??) Hotmail

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16107...urce=rss_blogs
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 May 2010, 06:43 PM   #2
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly View Post
Hotmail can put in fancy UI's, add threading, blah, blah, but until they can sort out the age old problem of emails being discarded without notification and obvious spam being sent to the inbox (and legit emails being sent to spam ), GMail will be king of the free email accounts.
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2010, 08:10 PM   #3
B4its2L8
Master of the @

They (i.e. Hotmail) might also try providing a fully secure email session (https).

Why are the two most popular email providers (Hotmail and Yahoo) the only ones not doing so ?
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2010, 08:45 PM   #4
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
Hotmail can put in fancy UI's, add threading, blah, blah, but until they can sort out the age old problem of emails being discarded without notification and obvious spam being sent to the inbox (and legit emails being sent to spam ), GMail will be king of the free email accounts.
Have Hotmail dealt with their problem of deleting accounts on the basis of any complaint whatsoever, no matter how frivolous or even outright fake? Even complaints such as "My account, username@hotmail.com, keeps getting lots of spam" were likely to get the named account shut down; it's as if such complaints were processed by a bot whose programming was to scan every email for a Hotmail address and the word "spam", and take the presence of both as indication that the account needs to be shut down.

Long-term EMDers may remember that one such sorry tale was how one of the main anti-Hotmail sites got started (hotmailsucks.com IIRC); it's also the reason why I've long ceased using Hotmail even as a spam-sink.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2010, 01:26 AM   #5
ozar

Improved or not, it's highly doubtful that I'd ever return to Hotmail even if they offered to pay me for using it. Hope it works out well for those that choose to partake of it, though.
ozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2010, 08:54 PM   #6
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

They can do what they want with the interface. It matters not to me as long as they allow POP3/SMTP. I have three accounts with them and only access them via SSL POP3, TLS SMTP. Rarely use the Web interface.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 10:29 PM   #7
nbarr
Cornerstone of the Community

A little more info at CNET
Quote:
... The revamped Hotmail also adds a new "sweep" option that lets users easily divert mail from a particular sender into either a new folder or into the trash.

... The software maker will also add the option for users to send their e-mail using an encrypted HTTPS connection.

...The new version, which will begin being offered to most users in July or August
At this rate Hotmail might be providing IMAP access as soon as ... probably never.

As long as this issue noted by walesrob continues to be the case,
Quote:
Originally Posted by walesrob
... until they can sort out the age old problem of emails being discarded without notification and obvious spam being sent to the inbox (and legit emails being sent to spam )
Hotmail will remain irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 10:49 PM   #8
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarr View Post

As long as this issue noted by walesrob continues to be the case,
Hotmail will remain irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
Mail sent to my daughter's Hotmail account was frequently dropped (in the past) unless sent from my own Hotmail account.

Mail was most often dropped when sent from my Fastmail account but the problem seems to have disappeared now that I am no longer using Fastmail.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 11:40 PM   #9
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
... The software maker will also add the option for users to send their e-mail using an encrypted HTTPS connection.
IF they are speaking of the webmail interface, I'm not sure I understand the advantage of such a thing if the entire email session -- including the whole time of the composition of the email -- is non-encrypted. ??
Old 18 May 2010, 11:51 PM   #10
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
IF they are speaking of the webmail interface, I'm not sure I understand the advantage of such a thing if the entire email session -- including the whole time of the composition of the email -- is non-encrypted. ??
They have to be talking about using https for the entire session, giving you a choice of the way you wish to connect.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 01:18 AM   #11
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
They have to be talking about using https for the entire session, giving you a choice of the way you wish to connect.
Ah. Well, better late than never.
Old 19 May 2010, 02:19 AM   #12
Chipper
Master of the @

I created a Hotmail account just to test sending stuff from our business to a "test customer." I repeatedly get "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage" when I try to go to the Inbox.

Hotmail is nothing but pure garbage.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 07:45 AM   #13
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
... but until they can sort out the age old problem of emails being discarded without notification and obvious spam being sent to the inbox (and legit emails being sent to spam ), GMail will be king of the free email accounts.
So it's not OK for Hotmail do do all these, but it's OK for Gmail? (whenever I check my Gmail account,there are several legitimate messages in the spam box, and several spam messages in the Inbox. I don't know if there are messages that have just disappeared into thin air but there were reports in these forums about emails that were sent to Gmail, accepted for delivery by Gmail as confirmed by sending logs and never delivered to the Gmail user's account, not even to the spam box. So I don't see that Gmail is much better than Hotmail in this respect).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 08:30 AM   #14
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
I created a Hotmail account just to test sending stuff from our business to a "test customer." I repeatedly get "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage" when I try to go to the Inbox.

Hotmail is nothing but pure garbage.
Perhaps you should try Firefox? In fact, I believe it was the discovery that I, and at least one other EMD member, made that that we could access our Hotmail account options with FF when we were unable to do so with MS's own browser (back when MS was still trying to force on their users their now-defunct "new" Hotmail interface, which they ultimately overwhelmingly rejected), that, thus "forced" to use FF, I soon made it my main browser, only rarely ever using IE since. In fact, so rarely that I still haven't bothered updating it beyond version 6.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 05:48 PM   #15
kelly

Hotmail Radio Ads...

Looks like Microsoft is VERY serious regarding its "NEW" Hotmail campaign, they even have radio ads!?
This has got to be a first! (...and Microsoft should probably patent that.)

and of course no campaign would be complete without opposition...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-desp...09322909106507

Last edited by kelly : 19 May 2010 at 05:58 PM.
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote