EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Apr 2007, 05:05 PM   #1
NJSS
Master of the @

Additional (Purchased) Storage

FastMail has for some time charged a one time fee of $24.95 US per 100MB for additional storage.

May I suggest that the time has come to review this charge in the light of dramatically falling disk prices, and competitors' pricing?

Nigel
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Apr 2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

I need some extra file storage too, but I don't buy it. It is too expensive. I think FM is losing money here.

Last edited by Berenburger : 27 Apr 2007 at 12:39 AM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2007, 11:12 PM   #3
NJSS
Master of the @

Substantial Price Reduction - please

In the UK the "street" price of a Buffalo 500GB 7,200 rpm Advanced Serial ATA (SATA) External Hard Drive is now about £100 = $200US.

I am told reasonably sized HDDs in the States cost between $0.40 & $0.45 per GB.

Whichever way you look at it $24.95 US per 100MB is excessive.

How about a substantial price reduction please FM?
Old 27 Apr 2007, 01:43 AM   #4
JasonWard
Cornerstone of the Community

Whilst $24.95 per 100mb is excessive, its not a true comparison to look at raw disk prices and say or think that Fastmail must be making a killing. Factors that increase the cost of the disks are many and include

1) Server disks are usually 100% to 1000% more expensive per GB than consumer class ones.
2) Your filespace is (and the disk) is hosted in a data centre, the disk just being there costs money.
3) Your filespace is backed up, again this costs Fastmail.
4) Your filespace is both a) raided and b) I believe also on a redundant server (ie for every 1mb of file storage you see, you may actually be using 4mb)
5) If the HD on which your files are stored fails Fastmail will replace it at their expense.

However, which ever way I cut it I cant make diskspace plus healthy margin add up to more than $20 per GB.

Jason
JasonWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 06:06 PM   #5
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
A couple of extra things.

1. There's a pretty big sliding scale on the pricing 2G is $199.95 (eg 100M = $9.95)
2. The raw cost of disk is nothing compared to:
a) The IO requirements to actually get data on and off the disk
b) Make the disks redundant
c) Connect them to a computer to actually use them
d) Keep the disks and computer they're connected to powered up
e) Keep the disks and computer they're connected to cool
f) It's a single lifetime cost so it has to be amortised over all time

Basically the price for the storage is a proxy for a massive number of other factors. I can't remember last time this was calculated, but I believe it wasn't actually that far wrong from our actual cost... I'll get Bruce to check again.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2007, 07:35 AM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmueller View Post
f) It's a single lifetime cost so it has to be amortised over all time
And that creates a barrier for the buyer. Some people might prefer to pay a much smaller recuring fee (that is hire extra storage when needed, release some when unneeded). Small business accounts might need this ability.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2007, 01:37 PM   #7
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I checked with Bruce, and the lifetime fee is about right. We could offer a considerably smaller "per-year" rate. The problem then is creating two separate classes of bought extra storage. The "fixed" cost extra storage, and the "recurring" cost extra storage. Of course it's doable, it's just a bit of a pain to manage. I guess we should think about it...

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2007, 03:50 PM   #8
NJSS
Master of the @

Thanks Rob

Where please do we find the "sliding scale on the pricing"?
Old 1 May 2007, 06:10 PM   #9
JasonWard

Quote:
I checked with Bruce, and the lifetime fee is about right. We could offer a considerably smaller "per-year" rate. The problem then is creating two separate classes of bought extra storage. The "fixed" cost extra storage, and the "recurring" cost extra storage. Of course it's doable, it's just a bit of a pain to manage. I guess we should think about it...

Rob
I would prefer an annual fee, I've always found the lifetime costs both odd and off putting.
Old 1 May 2007, 06:14 PM   #10
JasonWard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSS View Post
Where please do we find the "sliding scale on the pricing"?
Options->Purchase additional disk space
Old 2 May 2007, 12:56 AM   #11
drchadwick

Quote:

Rob
Please do. I would be happy to pony up a few bucks a month to upgrade my storage, but honestly the idea of paying so much up front for a GB or two of "lifetime" storage is pretty unattractive when prices are going nowhere but down.

In fact, it's not inconceivable we could soon be seeing free storage from Google or someone.
drchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2007, 12:58 AM   #12
drchadwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSS View Post
In the UK the "street" price of a Buffalo 500GB 7,200 rpm Advanced Serial ATA (SATA) External Hard Drive is now about £100 = $200US.
Totally irrelevant. You're not factoring in the costs of maintaining and networking. And the drives FM is using are likely not the same consumer ones you buy.
Old 2 May 2007, 03:17 AM   #13
fhapgood
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchadwick View Post
In fact, it's not inconceivable we could soon be seeing free storage from Google or someone.
Yahoo! is starting a transition to free unlimited storage this month and (I understand that ) AOL has been offering free unlimited since September. Of course Google will not be far behind. By this time next year the standard will be free unlimited.

Remember: hardware wants to be software and software wants to be free.
fhapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2007, 03:26 AM   #14
JasonWard

Amazon charge a whopping $0.15 per month per GB for storage with them, they offer some very neat services too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261

I would love for Fastmail (and many others) to provide hooks into Amazon S3 services, I'd love to have my files storage in S3 available through the tools offered by Fastmail, but also available to me via any other services or tools that use S3.

Jason
Old 2 May 2007, 03:32 AM   #15
drchadwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWard View Post
I would love for Fastmail (and many others) to provide hooks into Amazon S3 services, I'd love to have my files storage in S3 available through the tools offered by Fastmail, but also available to me via any other services or tools that use S3.
No kidding. And we know it's possible because these guys are doing it:
http://www.jungledisk.com/