EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 18 Aug 2023, 03:27 AM   #1
dryoldlime

Mail app, Windows 10 not add AOL account succesffully

I am unable to add an AOL account to the Mail app of Windows 10 successfully. I tried Advanced set-up using like these:

imap.aol.com:993:1
and then
smtp.aol.com:587:1

and also with a different port number for the "smtp" (forgot which value), but still not good. SSL for both of those.

I also made many online searches to try to find what is right.
Has anyone/member been able to add an AOL email account to the Windows 10 Mail app, successfully?

Maybe a different email client (on Windows 10) which is more readily friendly for AOL accounts?

-
edit: I will have another look, about the response comment about try making app password (post#2). The other port number tried was 465.

Last edited by dryoldlime : 18 Aug 2023 at 06:36 AM. Reason: avoiding extra cluttering response instead of replying to @RFK
dryoldlime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Aug 2023, 05:43 AM   #2
RFK
Essential Contributor

You need to create application specific password (currently there is a bug that prevents generating of app password for most accounts, but try it first).

Use this password with mail app.
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2023, 06:52 AM   #3
dryoldlime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK View Post
You need to create application specific password (currently there is a bug that prevents generating of app password for most accounts, but try it first).

Use this password with mail app.
That worked. NO trouble.

Signed in to AOL account; click on profile icon, to Settings; pick Security on the left panel. I found the section about generating app specific password...

Back in Mail app:
Add Account;
Other, Imap,...
Fill in email, display name, the generated app password,... keep clicking...

DONE. I seem to have the account added and so far no error nor failure codes came up. Briefly looked at the inbox list of emails...
Old 15 Sep 2023, 11:56 PM   #4
Jamtalaban

I get how adding an AOL account to the Windows 10 Mail app can be a bit tricky sometimes. Before giving up, here's a suggestion: some email providers, including AOL, require you to generate an "app password" when using third-party apps. It's a security measure. So, you might want to explore that option and see if it helps. And for more tech tips and insights, the Windows 10 Product Key Reddit sub could be your go-to resource. It's filled with folks sharing their experiences and solutions for Windows-related issues. You never know; someone might have cracked the AOL-Mail app code.

Last edited by Jamtalaban : 18 Sep 2023 at 08:10 PM.
Jamtalaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2023, 09:41 AM   #5
dryoldlime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamtalaban View Post
I get how adding an AOL account to the Windows 10 Mail app can be a bit tricky sometimes. Before giving up, here's a suggestion: some email providers, including AOL, require you to generate an "app password" when using third-party apps.
As was told in post #2, later I said it worked. I told my process in post #4....