EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Feb 2012, 01:50 AM   #1
LazyGun

Accidently deleted my /public folder

Dumbass here didn't pay attention and clicked delete before unticking the Public folder in my Files storage. So my website is gone
Are there backups kept by FM (I've an enhanced account) - is there anything I can do myself other than just reuploading the contents? Is the Public folder special or can I just create a folder called Public myself?

Last edited by LazyGun : 16 Feb 2012 at 02:12 AM.
LazyGun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Feb 2012, 09:24 AM   #2
LazyGun

Yiz are laughing at me aren't ya
Old 16 Feb 2012, 09:29 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

There is nothing special about the Public folder these days.
  • Originally Fastmail set up by default a Public folder (whose contents were visible on websites) and a Private folder (whose contents were not visible on websites).
  • But over 6 years ago this was changed, and new accounts don't have those automatically created folders. Access to folders is now controlled by the Websites screen, so the Public and Private folder names are just leftover relics in old accounts.
  • You really should back up your files in another location (your PC or another file storage location).
  • In August 2010 I asked Fastmail staff about backups of the Files storage area. Here is what I was told:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob Mueller via Aug 2010 email
    Files: The way the files meta data and content data is stored is separated. Files are stored as "immutable" items in the file storage area. If you change a file, it's actually creating a whole new file, and just "linking" to it via the meta data. The way the file storage system works is that when you delete a file, it keeps the meta data for the file, and the underlying content for a week. Support can restore a deleted/changed file for up to one week later. There is an exception to this. Due to the way some stupid systems work, we saw systems that were generating a new file and overwriting the existing file every minute. To keep 1 weeks worth of that would be 60*24*7 = 10080 versions of that file! We limit the history of each file to no more than 30 previous versions. So if you overwrite a file, you can get back the lesser of the last 30 versions, or up to one week back.
Bill (not laughing at all!)
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2012, 09:43 AM   #4
LazyGun

Well, it's an opportunity to make a few changes I suppose...
I know all about backing up, a few years helpdesking and it became a mantra. Unfortunately, I "seem to have misplaced" my backup zip file of the site itself (CD). The individual bits and pieces are scattered around my computer in various folders, so I'm hoping I don't have to piece them back together.

Still, it looks like I might be able to get a Restore instead If I understand correctly, they can restore what was there up to a week ago which is fine.

Thanks for the reply Bill
Old 16 Feb 2012, 11:02 AM   #5
LazyGun

Thumbs up

And less than 9 hours after my ticket went in, my issue's been looked at and fixed.
Allowing for time zones, that's almost instantly and it's like nothing ever happened.
Now THAT'S service and THAT's why I have an enhanced account with Fastmail.fm

--- Ticket Update (by Yassar Ali) (date 2012-02-16 02:19:44 UTC) (id 377877) ---
Hi,

I have now restored the "public" folder and all its contents found on the backup server.

Regards.

--- End Update ---

--- Ticket Update (by email address removed) (date 2012-02-15 17:47:19 UTC) (id 377289) ---
Confirming pending ticket
--- End Update ---

--- Ticket Update (by email address removed) (date 2012-02-15 17:40:06 UTC) (id 377277) ---
Hi,

Dumbass that I am, I've accidently deleted my /public folder and its
contents - is there any way to restore it from backups?
Old 16 Feb 2012, 11:15 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I'm glad the fix was so easy!

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2012, 11:16 AM   #7
LazyGun

So am I! Mind you it was a bit easier for me than Yassar I imagine; I just had to wait!

Dave