EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Oct 2010, 08:45 AM   #1
sync00

Deleted a screenful of messages by mistake

Is there any way to figure out which messages I just deleted so I can retrieve them?
sync00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Oct 2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Sherry

Were you on the FM Web when you deleted them? If yes, did you look in the Trash Folder to see if they were there? If they are in there you can select what you want back then put them in the folder you want them in.

If in a client like Outlook, Outlook Express etc you can look in their Trash or Deleted folders.

Sherry

PS - When I delete things they go to the top of the list in the Trash or get a line through them in my email client.

Last edited by Sherry : 19 Oct 2010 at 11:21 AM.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2010, 11:27 AM   #3
sync00

I did this in the web interface.

They are in the trash folder. But the messages I accidentally deleted go back a month and are mixed in with about 1,000 other messages that I don't want to retrieve.

There does not seem to be a deleted date so there is no way to separate them from the messages I don't want.
Old 19 Oct 2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Sherry

Oh, I see. After reading your post I see the ones going to the top of the list are newer dated. Hmm, not sure how to tell the date when things have been deleted. Perhaps someone else knows a way like maybe in an email client that might show it if an IMAP account was setup in it?

Sherry
Old 20 Oct 2010, 12:28 AM   #5
sync00

This is the second time I've done this. Each time I halve the number of messages displayed in the Inbox.
Old 20 Oct 2010, 02:54 AM   #6
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync00 View Post
But the messages I accidentally deleted go back a month and are mixed in with about 1,000 other messages that I don't want to retrieve.
There does not seem to be a deleted date so there is no way to separate them from the messages I don't want.
Sounds like you either delete a lot of emails or like to keep a lot in the trash folder in case you ever want something back?

If it's because you delete a lot of messages you could set a time for older emails to be automatically "purged" (permanently deleted). In the Options/Folders screen you can set the time to "Auto-purge" messages in the Trash folder making sure you don't purge the more resent emails you last accidentally deleted. Then again, maybe some of those are old emails you wouldn't want to loose?

I wouldn't do this right away as it is a permanent thing and maybe someone will post a way to get the right emails out of the trash but it may be something to at least look at for the future?

Sherry
Old 20 Oct 2010, 03:41 AM   #7
sync00

That is a good idea. I currently have auto-purge set to 31 days for the Trash folder. Reducing that will make it easier to deal with this the next time it happens.

Thanks
Old 20 Oct 2010, 03:55 AM   #8
Sherry

I don't know how often FM does the purge (everyday?) but some accidentally deleted emails may be more than 31 (or whatever) days old?

If you think it would help you could maybe make a "Feature Request" to have a purge choice for the Trash folder to "Auto-purge" emails that were "Deleted" xx days ago? That way the most recent deleted emails won't get purged...

Sherry
Old 20 Oct 2010, 04:18 AM   #9
sync00

I copied all the email in the Trash to a temp folder to make sure I didn't lose it.

Quote:
If you think it would help you could maybe make a "Feature Request" to have a purge choice for the Trash folder to "Auto-purge" emails that were "Deleted" xx days ago?
To do that they would need to keep track of the date emails are deleted, which I'm pretty sure they are not doing.

I thought of making a feature request for a deleted date. But I figure this is so fundamental that they obviously don't think it is important.
Old 20 Oct 2010, 04:52 AM   #10
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

I'd make the feature request if I were you. Programmers and engineers have a knack for often missing seemingly obvious features, so just because it seems obvious to you doesn't mean you shouldn't suggest it.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2010, 05:52 AM   #11
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync00 View Post
To do that they would need to keep track of the date emails are deleted, which I'm pretty sure they are not doing.
I know some feature requests would involve "many" hours/weeks/months to do because it involves major changes to their internal coding. Just "maybe" this kind of request may not be considered major by them. You never know if it's just a matter of adding a deleted date to the existing code that may only take a few hours (instead of many?)...

Sherry
Old 20 Oct 2010, 09:21 AM   #12
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
They will be the most recent message by UID. But no, we don't provide any easy way to recover the messages from your trash. An IMAP client that doesn't do any sorting would have them all at the top or bottom... you could try that.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2010, 05:54 AM   #13
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
They will be the most recent message by UID. ...
Perhaps some playing with searching in the web interface can fetch the messages with most recent UIDs?
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2010, 06:01 AM   #14
sync00

I did some searching but I can't figure out what the UID is.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 07:55 AM   #15
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
It's embedded in the URL, but not easily findable. You're really much better off with an IMAP client than with our web interface for this sort of low level stuff...

But overall, it's really not easy
brong is offline   Reply With Quote