EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Dec 2001, 03:38 AM   #1
harvest

Smile Feature Request: Clickable "From" field

When viewing an email, I find that often the person I want to reply to is in the From field, not the Reply-To field (ie: it comes through a mail proxy, and I often want to reply directly, bypassing the proxy on the return email)

When you have time, please make the email address in the From field a clickable link.

Thanks!
PaulH
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Dec 2001, 05:18 AM   #2
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Can you tell me more about the details of the situations in which you might want to do this, including pointers to the mail proxies involved.

I don't really want to add an ability to bypass 'reply-to', because that field is specifically designed to contain the address that the user wants to be contacted at. I'll need some convincing that it's a good idea to explicitly ignore this, before I decide to make it easy to do. Of course if we don't add this, you can always just copy the address, then click reply, then paste.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2001, 04:35 AM   #3
merrie

bypassing "reply to"

I won't be using my fastmail account for this, but at my school email account, I am subscribed to mailing lists. I often want to send a private reply to an email that has been sent to the whole list. The "reply to" will send my reply to the whole list, while the "from" will send my reply only to the sender of the email. I use this often in my school account (using UNIX Pine).
merrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2001, 07:31 PM   #4
harvest

Why bypass reply-to?

I use a privacy redirection service (spammotel.com) when giving out my email address publicly. When someone sends email to (eg hklwqerlksd@spammotel.com their reply-to address is masked as (egsdjduw@spammotel.com, although their "from" field remains intact. Now that I know they're not a spammer, I no longer want to confuse them by replying through spammotel. Hence the need for a clickable "from" field.
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote