EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Mar 2019, 11:53 AM   #1
alirezanasibi

Unhappy Snoozing and Labels, FM Hurry up!

Desperately in need of labels and snooze messages in FM and challenging with my faith to FM or using Gmail!
JMAP is good, ok FM, we all know! So, where is the FM of years ago when you were pioneer to release features?
alirezanasibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Mar 2019, 03:14 AM   #2
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

If Google jumps off a bridge, would FM have to do it, too?

Only teasing, but I Google and FM just have different implementations for the same (or similar) feature. I actually prefer folders to labels when the email provider has excellent search capabilities -- which FM does.

Snoozing emails fixes a problem that doesn't really exist, IMHO. The same thing can be accomplished with a "Hold" folder, or the use of flags and/or filters, or by using a third-party client.

..but again, I disagree that just because a few services have a certain feature, all other services need to offer them.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2019, 04:00 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Rather than labels, I would like to see rich support in FastMail for custom IMAP tags. In my view, this would combine the best features of folders and labels, while being a standards compliant solution.

On a snooze feature, well implemented, I think it can be a useful pat of the workflow for busy people who are heavy email users. While other techniques exist, they are not as flexible or efficient. That said, its priority needs to be evaluated against other worthy developments that we would like to see.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2019, 01:33 PM   #4
alirezanasibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
If Google jumps off a bridge, would FM have to do it, too?

Only teasing, but I Google and FM just have different implementations for the same (or similar) feature. I actually prefer folders to labels when the email provider has excellent search capabilities -- which FM does.

Snoozing emails fixes a problem that doesn't really exist, IMHO. The same thing can be accomplished with a "Hold" folder, or the use of flags and/or filters, or by using a third-party client.

..but again, I disagree that just because a few services have a certain feature, all other services need to offer them.
Well, I'm not asking FM to follow Gmail.
As a heavy user with numerous messages per day, managing them is a real headache for me. While, I use both Windows and mobile platforms to finish all different tasks, labels and snoozing in Gmail is really helping me.
Folders and a "hold" folder are not as efficient as labels and snoozing. While I have faith in FM and I don't give up FM, I should make sure if I have finished everything by checking "Gmail" than FM.
After all, I love FM but hope they implement more features (like they used to do). We are waiting for JMAP to create the platform to have features for so long already....
alirezanasibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2019, 02:57 PM   #5
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by alirezanasibi View Post
Well, I'm not asking FM to follow Gmail.
As a heavy user with numerous messages per day, managing them is a real headache for me. While, I use both Windows and mobile platforms to finish all different tasks, labels and snoozing in Gmail is really helping me.
Folders and a "hold" folder are not as efficient as labels and snoozing. While I have faith in FM and I don't give up FM, I should make sure if I have finished everything by checking "Gmail" than FM.
After all, I love FM but hope they implement more features (like they used to do). We are waiting for JMAP to create the platform to have features for so long already....
If Gmail has an interface that fits your needs, maybe you should use Gmail.

..or if you find the features of FastMail outweighs the inconveniences of not having labels and a snooze feature, maybe you should consider that not everyone wants the same implementation that you do, and you'll likely never find the PERFECT service.

Really not trying to be an a-hole here, but I find it tremendously presumptuous to think that if *I* want a feature, *everyone* should want that same feature, and my email provider should "Hurry Up!" to provide me with what *I* want.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 03:09 AM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
If Gmail has an interface that fits your needs, maybe you should use Gmail.
A typical reaction of FM devotees to any comparison with Gmail.

Quote:
maybe you should consider that not everyone wants the same implementation that you do
Nobody will be forced to use any additional facilities which FM, or any other provider, may implement in the future. Don't want labels? Fine, don't use them, but do not shout any somebody who does want.

Quote:
I find it tremendously presumptuous to think that if *I* want a feature, *everyone* should want that same feature, and my email provider should "Hurry Up!" to provide me with what *I* want.
Every email provider, every piece of software, has features somebody wants and others don't care about. The OP did not say that "everyone should want that same feature". He wants it and he is free to push FM to provide it. Nothing tremendously presumptuous about it.

Don't bite users who express a desire for features you see no need for. In FM or elsewhere.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2019, 09:28 PM   #7
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
A typical reaction of FM devotees to any comparison with Gmail.
Not sure I consider myself an "FM devotee", but I'll take the troll bait.

I'd say my reaction is typical to anyone saying "this service/product does what I need it to do".. Okay, then use it. I'd understand if the OP took the approach of "I like FM for this, this and this, but I'd really like this that another service provides". But he didn't.. Instead, it's "hurry up!" because he desperately needs features now and is "losing faith".

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Nobody will be forced to use any additional facilities which FM, or any other provider, may implement in the future. Don't want labels? Fine, don't use them, but do not shout any somebody who does want.
Sure, if the change provides options. If FM changes from the organizational concept of folders to labels, that wouldn't be an option.

.and shouting? Please find an exclamation point or a word in all caps in any of my points that suggest I was shouting. If alirezanasibi feels I was rude, he certainly has the right to speak up. Otherwise, let's allow the users of this board to discuss and let the moderators moderate.