EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 14 Jan 2008, 03:36 AM   #1
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Yahoo Question

Can" from " line be truly changed in Yahoo when hosting domain email ? Will Yahoo address also be included in FROM Line ?
Example: FROM; user@domain.com <user@yahoo.com> I know this happens if user just wants to change from line address but seems it shouldn't if domain is being hosted. Also I noticed some improvements from my perspective in the address book. Addresses can now be inserted in outgoing mail without being preceeded by a name or nick name. I like this. Thanks for any input.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Jan 2008, 09:51 AM   #2
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

This general topic was discussed at some length in these forums at least once before, and I thought you might have participated in the thread I'm thinking of (which I don't have time to search for now, although it might not be hard to find), but evidently I may have been mistaken.

But although I've never had a domain hosted with Yahoo, so I can't answer definitively with regard to your precise question, in fact I've been able to set an alternative "from" address with my free yahoo.com account, and having tested it again just now to make sure, my "real" yahoo address definitely does NOT appear on the From line, but the From line of the received message appears simply as follows:

From: "My Real Name" <AlternateAddress@AlternateDomain.tld>

(In this case my alternate "From" address happens to be a Gmail address). In fact, my complete "real" Yahoo address appears nowhere in the headers of the received message, although when examining the full headers there is a line which contains just the user name part of the address, but not including the @yahoo.com part. This line appears as:

X-RocketYMMF: MyYahooUserName

Again, this has been addressed before, and I believe someone had claimed here that his paid Yahoo account worked similarly, although I can't recall whether he indicated he had his own domain hosted with Yahoo as well. But perhaps he will reply here and clarify this. But as even when using a free Yahoo.com account to send "from" an alternate address the actual originating Yahoo account address doesn't appear on the From line, it doesn't seem likely that it would when using a paid account or when hosting your domain with them.

Although I must admit that I find your question somewhat confusing. That is, if your account is with a domain of your own hosted with them, wouldn't your "real" email address be @your own domain rather than @yahoo.com in the first place? But I may not be fully understanding the question.

Last edited by xmailer : 14 Jan 2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2008, 10:23 AM   #3
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks xmailer for your input. I have a free yahoo account and the extra free account that yahoo provides. When I use my main account and send mail it arrives as yours does like this: FROM: bud or what ever as From: "bud" <user@yahoo.com
When I send mail using my extra free yahoo account, the receiving persons will see like this: From: bill@yahoo.com <main user@yahoo.com
What I'm trying to say is if I use my seond yahoo address, then it will be displayed and also my main yahoo address will be displayed. I'm concerned if i host a domain mail with yahoo, will that from line also display both addresses ? my domain address and my yahoo address. Don't want to pay for a hosting account and find both addresses displayed. Why can't they all do it simple like FM does. No problems or confusion.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2008, 10:44 AM   #4
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer View Post
Again, this has been adressed before, and I believe someone had claimed here that his paid Yahoo account worked similarly, although I can't recall whether he indicated he had his own domain hosted with Yahoo as well. But perhaps he will reply here and clarify this.
Here is the previous thread. I do not have a domain hosted with Yahoo, just the Yahoo Mail Plus.
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2008, 10:49 AM   #5
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
Thanks xmailer for your input. I have a free yahoo account and the extra free account that yahoo provides. When I use my main account and send mail it arrives as yours does like this: FROM: bud or what ever as From: "bud" <user@yahoo.com
When I send mail using my extra free yahoo account, the receiving persons will see like this: From: bill@yahoo.com <main user@yahoo.com
What I'm trying to say is if I use my seond yahoo address, then it will be displayed and also my main yahoo address will be displayed. I'm concerned if i host a domain mail with yahoo, will that from line also display both addresses ? my domain address and my yahoo address. Don't want to pay for a hosting account and find both addresses displayed. Why can't they all do it simple like FM does. No problems or confusion.
Ah, so you mean the alternate user name with a "dot" which yahoo let's you add as an alias? I'm familiar with that, but never really using yahoo to send from at all anymore (except for occasional test messages as mentioned above, or to forward soimething from the account to another address of my own, in which case I don't care what's shown on the From line of a message to myself), I've never really gotten around to coming up with an alternate "dot" name/alias that I liked.

But I am very surprised to hear that it's sent out as you describe, since that might seem to contradict Yahoo's own discussion of the very purpose of the alias. In fact, if your "primary" Yahoo address is shown as the "originating" From address, with your supposed alias shown as one might normally expect to see one's "real name", this might seem to almost completely negate the very purpose of the alias, as anyone clicking on "Reply" to reply to your mesage would end up sending to your "primary" Yahoo address rather than ever sending to your alias at all, so that your alias might never even be used, except when someone might enter it on the To (or CC or BCC) line "directly", that is, rather than as a reply to you. So I find this "bahavior" of Yahoo more than a little mystifying.

But again, as for a separately set up alternate "From" address, I can only tell you that it works as I described for me, my "real" Yahoo address appearing in full nowhere in the message, neither on the From line or anywhere else. So I can only imagine that it would be expected to work the same way with your own domain hosted with them -- although, again, in that case I'm still not sure why your account would even have a @yahoo.com address at all, rather than your primary hosted email account(s) being @ your own domain.

Last edited by xmailer : 14 Jan 2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added quote
Old 14 Jan 2008, 10:53 AM   #6
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post
Here is the previous thread. I do not have a domain hosted with Yahoo, just the Yahoo Mail Plus.
Yeah, I was pretty sure it was you, but I wasn't specific because at the moment I couldn't recall the exact spelling of your user name here, but the best I could come up with from memory was "Zak", which I knew wasn't quite right.
Old 14 Jan 2008, 11:03 AM   #7
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Yeah, I was pretty sure it was you, but I wasn't specific because at the moment I couldn't recall the exact spelling of your user name here, but the best I could come up with from memory was "Zak", which I knew wasn't quite right.
Jim -> James -> Jacques -> Zhak

Also my C&C user name, pronounced 'shock'

Also, 'the last hack'
Old 14 Jan 2008, 11:11 AM   #8
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post
Jim -> James -> Jacques -> Zhak

Also my C&C user name, pronounced 'shock'

Also, 'the last hack'
Ah, so 'Zhorro' has at last been unmasked!

(But WHO is that masked man known far and wide only as xhmailer??? lol)
Old 14 Jan 2008, 11:20 AM   #9
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
(But WHO is that masked man known far and wide only as xhmailer??? lol)
A much deeper mystery, but the domain is available.