EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 14 Jan 2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
mobile phone battery lifespan

Does today's mobile phone battery still have memory effect problems?
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Jan 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
gpdoyon

Today's Lithium Ion cell phone batteries theoretically do not have the "memory" effect of the old NiCad batteries. However, it is recommended that you let your new battery drain to almost empty and then charge it overnight. Do this three times in a row to "train" the battery". Then you can put it in the charger every day even if it's not close to being empty.

Here's an interesting article on the subject.

- Gerry
gpdoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2005, 09:37 PM   #3
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
I am surprised to read the article, store the battery in the refridgerator!
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2005, 08:14 AM   #4
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by gpdoyon
However, it is recommended that you let your new battery drain to almost empty and then charge it overnight. Do this three times in a row to "train" the battery". Then you can put it in the charger every day even if it's not close to being empty.

Here's an interesting article on the subject.

- Gerry
According to site "The 1st charge is no different to the 5th or the 50th charge. Stickers instructing to charge the battery for 8 hours or more for the first time may be a leftover from the nickel battery days."

It says (somewhere) that occasional deep discharge is needed for the charge-level gauge to stay accurately calibrated, but a lot of that is mentioned in the context of laptops, and it's not clear from the text whether the charging hardware/software in phones is sophisticated enough to benefit. I have been doing that for some time myself, but I've no real idea whether it helps.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2005, 08:58 PM   #5
gpdoyon

Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrabismus
It says (somewhere) that occasional deep discharge is needed for the charge-level gauge to stay accurately calibrated, but a lot of that is mentioned in the context of laptops, and it's not clear from the text whether the charging hardware/software in phones is sophisticated enough to benefit. I have been doing that for some time myself, but I've no real idea whether it helps.
True. I've been told this this is still applicable for cell phone batteries in so far as doing a "deep charge". I work as a sales associate for US Cellular, a cell phone carrier in the US. I used to have the web link to which my company referred me to regarding this issue. But, I've lost it.

- Gerry
gpdoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2005, 03:26 PM   #6
Starion
Essential Contributor

I think old Nickle Cadium batteries suffer from the memory effect. I don't know about Lithium Ion batteries. Thanks for sharing the link gpdoyon.

My 700 milliampre hour battery lasts about 6 days in idle mode. If I talk a lot, then the battery lasts only about three days before I need to replace the battery with a fully charged battery. I have two batteries; I keep the spare on fully charged.
Starion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2005, 06:34 PM   #7
injinuity
Cornerstone of the Community

I really dont know why lithium polymer has not become very popular.. my old phone used to have it and I never got such stability and usetime from any other battery type.

P.S: Breaking News - The Energizer bunny has been locked up, he has been charged with battery
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2005, 09:22 PM   #8
trew

what is the difference between Ion and Polymer?

I've read that LiIon are short on life lenght. Even if not used the stability of the chemicals involved goes bad within two years so if you buy an oalder hone sitting on the shelf in the Shjop then if included battery is two years old then only 50 to 25 % of capacity left.

that is a rumour so I don't know how reliable it is. But it is much written about in Elector which usually know what they talk about.

LiPol I have in my SonyEricsson P910i Smarphone and they behaved bery peculiar. I had to charge it day after day to reach it's full capacity. If one go to Forums for Mobilphones Cellphones they seem all aware of it. I am not sure why this behavior is like that and if it is a good or bad sign.

I hope it last longer than LiIon does. It is a hope I have.

trew
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2005, 12:32 AM   #9
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by gpdoyon
True. I've been told this this is still applicable for cell phone batteries in so far as doing a "deep charge". I work as a sales associate for US Cellular, a cell phone carrier in the US. I used to have the web link to which my company referred me to regarding this issue. But, I've lost it.
I suspect the advice may be about training the gauge so that people don't try to return batteries that appear to be sub-standard.

From what it says on that site, the manufacturers must really love lithium batteries. They're aging from the day they're made, even if they just sit in a warehouse. Unless a third-party steps in and makes them, you might just as well be leasing the products they power.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2005, 02:25 AM   #10
Starion
Essential Contributor

Re: what is the difference between Ion and Polymer?

Quote:
Originally posted by trew
that is a rumour so I don't know how reliable it is. But it is much written about in Elector which usually know what they talk about.
God dag! I don't know if that rumor is true or not either. I heard that lithium polymer batteres are more expensive than lithium ion batteries of equal capacity. I don't know how much krona they cost though.
Starion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2005, 04:39 AM   #11
trew

Link to info and Clas Ohlson says :smile:

Link to info on Li - ion

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Take my SonyEricsson P910i that one has a li poly but the replace ment says original Li-ion so what to think of that?

Clas Ohlson says:

P800/900/910, Z1010 original battery Li-ion capacity 1000mA 498 SEK around 60USD I guess. but despite them saying that this is original battery it doesn't make sense. Is Lithium Polymer the old Li ion by a new name? I thought the polymer to be more stable? Maybe they are just thinner but have same problems with aging?

60 USD is much money to me. I could by a Nokia 6650 for 395SEK about 50 USD with a new Li-ion nealy same capacity battery in it.

So I need to find a SonyEricson Mobile that has same battery but are sold as a campain for 60 USD or so. Then I get a spare battery and a spare phone for the same price huh?

trew being stingy?

they say that SE T610/630 uses a Li-polymer at 770 capacity for 479,00 SEK so I look at the prices for these then? if they hopefully have the same dimensions?

Last edited by trew : 17 Jan 2005 at 05:24 AM.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 05:25 AM   #12
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Does anyone know if the new NiMH cells still suffer from the same problems (other than capacity) as the old NiCd ones?  They're supposed not to, but my experience suggest that they do...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2005, 07:35 PM   #13
trew

I'm no expert but all that ...

I've read that says they know it well says there is no such thigns for NiMH.

trew