EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13 Feb 2017, 09:35 PM   #1
lostsoul62
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9
One main email for life

The short story is COX has screw my email up and can't even get it on my phone. I will go to AT&T after I move but my question is would it be better to use gmail so no matter where I go or what provider I use I will have only one main email for life?
lostsoul62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Feb 2017, 12:28 AM   #2
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,847
If maintaining a single address for the rest of your life is a concern, you're far better off buying your own domain and having it hosted with a mail host provider (i.e. FastMail, EUMX, Runbox or Rollernet). Free services such as Outlook, Gmail or Yahoo are always at a risk of shutting down, and you'd lose access to the email address.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2017, 04:54 AM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
If maintaining a single address for the rest of your life is a concern, you're far better off buying your own domain and having it hosted with a mail host provider (i.e. FastMail, EUMX, Runbox or Rollernet). Free services such as Outlook, Gmail or Yahoo are always at a risk of shutting down, and you'd lose access to the email address.
I don't expect Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo are shutting down in the near future.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2017, 04:12 AM   #4
jhollington
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
I don't expect Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo are shutting down in the near future.
I wouldn't be so sure about Yahoo these days...

It's not even about the companies shutting down, but they could someday decide to discontinue their e-mail services, or discontinue the "free" aspect of their e-mail services and start charging money. Or they could simply change the terms of service to something onerous that might make you wish you had hosted your e-mail elsewhere.

Having your own domain is about the only way to guarantee that your e-mail address will be completely portable, and you won't be stuck with a mail provider that you might someday regret.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2017, 09:37 AM   #5
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
I don't expect Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo are shutting down in the near future.
True, but that's not what he asked.. He said "have only one main email for life".
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2017, 06:16 AM   #6
TenFour
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 82
I think the surest way (though nothing is certain) is to purchase your own domain and use it for email through a wide variety of services. I would venture to guess that Gmail is by far the safest of the major free services simply because it is a core functionality of their entire being as a business--with all of the others they do something else that is their major source of revenue. For example, Outlook.com would probably never go away, but I could envision a scenario where MS decides to start charging for it or make it only available to those who subscribe to some other MS service. Sure, smaller players, like FM, seem very reliable and I wouldn't hesitate to use them and count on them for the long-term, but you never know what will happen.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 11:42 PM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Posts: 2,069
Another option, although via a loophole, would be to purchase your own domain and create a forwarding email address. No matter what free email provider you have, if you'd ever change you just change the "forward to:" email address to which your forwarding address under your own domain sends the messages.

That way, you don't have to move your domain away from the DNS of your registrar and not worry about whether eg Gmail, Mail.ru, Yandex, etc will continue providing free mailboxes that allow using your own domain.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 12:20 AM   #8
jhollington
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
That way, you don't have to move your domain away from the DNS of your registrar and not worry about whether eg Gmail, Mail.ru, Yandex, etc will continue providing free mailboxes that allow using your own domain.
Well, technically you don't need to move your DNS away from your registrar (or any other provider of your choice) you merely need to point the MX records to your e-mail provider.

Of course, if you're using a free e-mail service like Gmail, you pretty much have to use a forwarding service anyway, since you can't just point your own domain to Google's servers and expect them to receive mail for it unless you're a G Suite user.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 01:08 AM   #9
FredOnline
Master of the @
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Another option, although via a loophole, would be to purchase your own domain and create a forwarding email address.
I've never thought of this as a loophole - it's usually a service offered by your registrar, and is quite legitimate.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 05:31 AM   #10
TenFour
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 82
POBox.com specializes in receiving your domain emails and then forwarding them to one or more destinations, though they do offer a regular webmail interface if you want it. I have several domains that POBox.com receives my email for and everything forwards to a Gmail Inbox that I use. I have Gmail set up to send as my email addresses from the various domains using the POBox.com SMTP server. Works very well and is easy to setup. Only $20 per year too.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 07:58 AM   #11
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
POBox.com specializes in receiving your domain emails and then forwarding them to one or more destinations, though they do offer a regular webmail interface if you want it. I have several domains that POBox.com receives my email for and everything forwards to a Gmail Inbox that I use. I have Gmail set up to send as my email addresses from the various domains using the POBox.com SMTP server. Works very well and is easy to setup. Only $20 per year too.
Exactly the same setup + one Allmail on one domain (+$10).
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2017, 05:10 PM   #12
MoonWalka
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
The short story is COX has screw my email up and can't even get it on my phone. I will go to AT&T after I move but my question is would it be better to use gmail so no matter where I go or what provider I use I will have only one main email for life?
Gmail or outlook dude. AoL is pretty decent too. The best thing about Gmail is it's ability to integrate with everything and is therefore, more useful in this age of IoT.
MoonWalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 11:10 PM.

 

Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2013. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy