EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 7 Nov 2021, 05:44 PM   #1
shenton
Essential Contributor

Up to date testimonials?

Hi all. Is anyone here using Runbox at the moment? It seems very quiet.

I was using them until approximately 2 years ago and then jumped ship to Fastmail. I've had no issues with Fastmail but I really like Runbox as a company and I am thinking of switching back.

I had two main concerns when I was there:
1) Runbox 7 never seems to come out of Beta which is very worrying
2) When using the Runbox 6 interface, drag and drop never seemed to work properly.... it often took a few attempts and you had to position the mouse pointer very precisely. Back then, Runbox 7 wasn't really useable.

Anyway, I'd love to support them. Has anyone got any up-to-date comments at the moment?

TIA

P.S. If anyone from Runbox reads this, I was thinking of getting a Micro account to trial it. Could I then upgrade to the 3 years for the price of 2 medium account and recoup my outlay?
shenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Nov 2021, 06:33 PM   #2
evfrson

I left at the same time as you (2years ago) for the same reasons as you outlined.
Runbox 7 is STILL in beta as far as I am aware and I just get the impression that Runbox is being run as a sort of side hustle and basically just ticking over.

Addition: Just looked at their community pages for Runbox 7 and users are complaining about not being able to open HTML emails properly. If they haven't got such a basic function working properly after 3 years in beta I would be very wary of using them tbh.

Last edited by evfrson : 7 Nov 2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Additional comment(s)
evfrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2021, 09:03 PM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenton View Post
Hi all. Is anyone here using Runbox at the moment? It seems very quiet.

I was using them until approximately 2 years ago and then jumped ship to Fastmail. I've had no issues with Fastmail but I really like Runbox as a company and I am thinking of switching back.

2) When using the Runbox 6 interface, drag and drop never seemed to work properly.... it often took a few attempts and you had to position the mouse pointer very precisely. Back then, Runbox 7 wasn't really useable.

Anyway, I'd love to support them. Has anyone got any up-to-date comments at the moment?
I've got a Mini Account, paid up until October 2025.

I don't, however, use that as my main account - for that I use Fastmail. Primarily because the number of personal domains allowed far exceeds the five I'm currently allowed in Runbox (I can add extra domains but at extra cost) and I also use Fastmail to host my personal/hobby websites.

Oh, and the Fastmail web interface is rather good.

I would officially class the Runbox web interface as "quirky" - the Citroën DS of the e-mail world!

Regarding your concerns:

1) I prefer to use RB6 instead of RB7, however I mostly use Thunderbird on my PC or Aqua Mail Pro on my Android 'phone via IMAP. I'm not particularly bothered how long it takes for RB7 to replace RB6.

2) If you hover your cursor over the subject, a "Tip: Drag subject to a folder" appears, click on the subject and drag away.

The Runbox support is, IMHO, a big plus.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2021, 01:22 AM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenton View Post
My comments, not that different to those made by FredOnline>
1) I'm not bothered about RB7, from my (admittedly limited) experience with it I see no reason to stop using RB6.
2) if drag and drop isn't your favourite mode of working, you can Switch to Runbox Basic (at the very bottom of the page, on the left). Tick the square box next to the message, then tick the round box next to the destination folder, and the message is moved.

Last edited by janusz : 8 Nov 2021 at 03:48 AM. Reason: typo
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2021, 01:35 AM   #5
shenton
Essential Contributor

Thanks all. Will give it a trial and see if there are any improvements. I do like to use drag and drop but it regularly didn't work with RB. That's the thing with Fastmail, it just works! However, I love the philosophy of RB and would love to be able to use them.
shenton is offline   Reply With Quote