EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Setting up/running an email service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Setting up/running an email service If you're setting up an email service from scratch, or running one, exchange ideas and tips with other Webmasters here...

Old 8 Oct 2016, 04:59 PM   #1
mailcheap

Smile Cloud email servers,scalability and why you may not want to run your own mailserver

Hey everyone,

I'm Pavin Joseph from Mailcheap.co (Cyberlabs s.r.o. CZ & Cyberlabs Inc. USA): an enterprise email hosting solution.

I would like to discuss the pitfalls of running a mailserver on a VPS/dedicated server & why you should consider going with a hosted solution that doesn't limit you 'per user/mo.' and provides distributed, cloud based redundancy and scalability at affordable prices.

There are no match for Private email servers in terms of security and privacy. That said, hosting your own mailserver is a huge task and not really recommended since there are a lot of additional resources required to managing/scaling said service. Not only do you have to spend time configuring the management software, but it really takes a lot of time and effort understanding the fundamentals of email like Postfix/Dovecot (SMTP/IMAP) services and how to troubleshoot them in case of any issues. Unless you're going with a supported and expensive solution like iRedmail Pro/Zimbra Enterprise all the other open source projects don't guarantee a trouble free management panel/email experience.

Now there's also the more important aspects of running a mailserver like data protection, offsite backups, redundant backup MX/mailservers to queue messages in case of primary server being offline, quality SMTP relays for guaranteed deliverability, outbound/inbound filtration to fight spam/viruses, etc.

Its also worth noting that a VPS/dedicated server cannot be scaled like a cloud email server; to future proof the solution one must consider a scalable solution both in terms of storage and compute resources.

Cloud (private) email servers are a great way to host all your domains/users (unlike 'per user/mo.' shared email services) and the highly scalable architecture with dedicated compute resources and high performance storage clusters guarantees a future proof mail solution. With robust cloud platforms like OpenStack, scalability doesn't have to come with a premium price tag!

What are your thoughts on this and the future of mail hosting?
mailcheap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Oct 2016, 11:26 PM   #2
Just Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailcheap View Post
Hey everyone,

What are your thoughts on this and the future of mail hosting?
My first thought is, "Wouldn't spam filters for web based groups be great?"
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2016, 12:27 AM   #3
mailcheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
My first thought is, "Wouldn't spam filters for web based groups be great?"
Indeed! But I think the mods here are doing a stellar job keeping it clean already
mailcheap is offline   Reply With Quote