EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Sep 2019, 02:03 AM   #1
easemail

Calendar Reminders Email Adress change?

Within the last week my calendar reminder emails have changed. They used to be sent from a fastmail support email address and would carry the circle green check-mark endorsement of "The Fastmail Team." This week the check-mark is gone and the email is from "Fastmail calendar notification" and the email address has a "bounce" in the title. (I don't want to write the full emails here in this forum so they don't get hammered by spam bots. )

It's not a big deal, but those circle green check-marks were a good way to scan through my email a bit quicker and figure out which items were reminders and which ones were actual emails from people. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anybody else experiencing this issue?
easemail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Sep 2019, 06:19 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes, I noticed this also. Several things changed last week (between August 28 and 29, 2019). I think they were trying to improve some of the headers in the notification messages, but they accidentally changed the From so that when viewed in the Fastmail web or mobile app interfaces the message appears to be from "Fastmail.FM Administrator", which has not been used for the past 5 years (when Fastmail moved to the fastmail.com domain).

I just sent a note about this to Fastmail staff I know, and I will let you know how they respond.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2019, 11:49 PM   #3
easemail

It looks like they've changed the emails we're getting now so it's from a "calendar-reminder" email address, which looks a bit better to me. Thanks for sending the note Bill.
easemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2019, 11:47 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes, Fastmail fixed my complaints about the calendar reminder emails. A calendar icon image is shown for the reminder email if you have activated the Avatars feature at Settings>Preferences>Advanced preferences>Reading>Avatars. The From address is now composed of a concatenation of the calendar name you have assigned with:
Code:
calendar reminder <noreply+calendar-reminder@fastmail.com>
So if your calendar with the reminder has the original name (Default) and the calendar event title (What) is "Activity", the reminder email you receive will have these headers:
  • From: Default calendar reminder <noreply+calendar-reminder@fastmail.com>
  • Subject: Reminder: Activity
Don't create a calendar named "Calendar" or you will get a reminder with this confusing From name:
  • From: Calendar calendar reminder <noreply+calendar-reminder@fastmail.com>
Bill
Old 19 Sep 2019, 10:50 AM   #5
verbovet

To me the calendar mails started to arrive sent from my own address. Any guess how to fix this?
verbovet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2019, 07:45 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbovet View Post
To me the calendar mails started to arrive sent from my own address. Any guess how to fix this?
Click Show details and look carefully at the full From email address. The actual email address should be what I described in my last post:
Code:
noreply+calendar-reminder@fastmail.com
The message list shows the display name portion of the From address. As I described, the full From header shows a display name which is made from the name you gave the calendar followed by "calendar reminder". So if you named your calendar "verbovet", the From address field should be:
Code:
verbovet calendar reminder <noreply+calendar-reminder@fastmail.com>
And the message list should show the From to be the display portion of the From header:
Code:
verbovet calendar reminder
If you want the From to show a different display name, just change the name of the calendar.

Bill
Old 22 Sep 2019, 06:45 PM   #7
verbovet

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Click Show details and look carefully at the full From email address. The actual email address should be what I described in my last post:
Code:
noreply+calendar-reminder@fastmail.com
But in my case it's not that address, but my main address. Both From and From: are wrong, in particular, SPF is softfail.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 09:16 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Current Fastmail calendar reminder headers

Quote:
But in my case it's not that address, but my main address. Both From and From: are wrong, in particular, SPF is softfail.
First, I want to be clear that the headers of Fastmail calendar reminder messages have changed twice over the past few weeks. The most recent change was about two weeks ago (reported by my earlier post around Sept 13). Calendar reminders received since that time have a yellow/blue calendar avatar icon in the upper left, which looks similar to the Calendar icon shown on this help page (but with 6 white dots rather than a number):
https://www.fastmail.com/help/ourservice/favicons.html

I don’t think the messages you are examining are coming from the Fastmail calendar reminder system. If you look at the full headers, the Authentication-Results should all be “pass” except for:
  • arc=none
  • spf=neutral smtp.mailfrom=noreply+calendar-reminder@fastmail.com smtp.helo=wforward1-smtp.messagingengine.com;
  • x-vs=clean
  • ... and all the others should be “pass”.
If you look further down the full headers to the To/From/Subject area, you should see:
Code:
X-Mailer: MessagingEngine.com Internal Interface
To: your email address
From: your calendar name calendar reminder <noreply+calendar-reminder@fastmail.com>
Subject: Reminder: content from this specific calendar event
Message-Id: <*****@mailuser.nyi.internal>
I have munged (changed or hidden) the exact details which identify me. My guess is that’ll the messages you are seeing are coming from some other system. If you post the “spf=softfail ...” header contents (including the smtp.mailfrom and smtp.helo results) we can better determine the source. Also examine the “Message-Id” header, which shows which server system or email client created that email.

Bill
Old 23 Sep 2019, 08:21 PM   #9
verbovet

Quote:
I don’t think the messages you are examining are coming from the Fastmail calendar reminder system.
I created a test calendar event and I study the resulted mail.
Quote:
If you look at the full headers, the Authentication-Results should all be “pass” except for:
  • arc=none
  • spf=neutral smtp.mailfrom=noreply+calendar-reminder@fastmail.com smtp.helo=wforward1-smtp.messagingengine.com;
  • x-vs=clean
  • ... and all the others should be “pass”.
All are "pass" except for
Code:
spf=softfail smtp.mailfrom=me@example.org
      smtp.helo=forward1-smtp.messagingengine.com;
Further,
Code:
Received-SPF: softfail 
    (example.org: Sender is not authorized by default to use 'me@example.org' in 'mfrom' identity, however domain is not currently prepared for false failures (mechanism '~all' matched))
    receiver=mx5.messagingengine.com;
    identity=mailfrom;
    envelope-from="me@example.org";
    helo=forward1-smtp.messagingengine.com;
    client-ip=66.111.4.223
Code:
X-Mailer: MessagingEngine.com Internal Interface
To: me@example.org
Subject: Reminder: Test starts now
Message-Id: <20190920121500.2BBF319C13B@mailuser.nyi.internal>
Here <me@example.org> denotes my main mail address.

Thank you for helping!

I asked the support, they escalated my ticket and thats all for the moment.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 09:04 PM   #10
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
...Here <me@example.org> denotes my main mail address...
That is very strange! So you mean that <me@example.org> is at a Fastmail-owned domain and is your login address? Or do you use a custom (not owned by Fastmail) domain <example.org> and your default sending From address is at that domain?

I just sent a message to Fastmail staff about this. I had already been conversing with some of them I knew about the old From address and some other issues, and that's what led to the current From address I see of <noreply+calendar-reminder@fastmail.com>. But I just noticed that the To address used for these reminders is not consistent, so I believe something is broken on both the From (your situation) and To (my situation) addressing for the calendar reminder messages.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 23 Sep 2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Comments added about inconsistent TO addressing for reminders
Old 23 Sep 2019, 10:41 PM   #11
verbovet

Quote:
That is very strange! So you mean that <me@example.org> is at a Fastmail-owned domain and is your login address? Or do you use a custom (not owned by Fastmail) domain <example.org> and your default sending From address is at that domain?
Of course, this is not a real address It just denotes my login address. I changed <my_real_name@my_real_domain> to <me@example.org>.

example.org can't be owned according to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606
Old 23 Sep 2019, 11:21 PM   #12
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Of course, this is not a real address It just denotes my login address...
I understand, and also use the standard example.org domain for descriptions. Fastmail offers custom domain support for Standard and above accounts, and so I wasn’t originally sure if that address you described was at a Fastmail domain (your main account login address) or your custom domain. Now I see that it’s your login address at a Fastmail-owned domain.

I get some notifications to the alias used for my default compose From address, which is at my custom domain (not a Fastmail-owned domain). But not all of them. I’m sure that something is broken, and yours is just more broken than mine! I explained this all in my email a couple of hours ago to Fastmail senior staff.

Bill
Old 25 Sep 2019, 10:31 PM   #13
verbovet

The support told that my situation results from the setting
Code:
SMTP identity
Rewrite the “From” address on all emails I send through third party email clients to come from my default identity
Without this setting, the From is as it should be.
Unfortunately, there is nothing in place of the green check mark
Old 4 Oct 2019, 02:08 AM   #14
verbovet

A sieve script can be used instead of the green check mark. For example:
Code:
if
  allof(
  address :is "From" "noreply+calendar-reminder@fastmail.com",
  header :contains "X-Spam-known-sender" "yes",
  header :matches "From" "*"
  )