EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 28 Jul 2007, 03:37 AM   #16
jsamuelson

My settings are the same as Randy's, excepting:

I use the secure (old) server on 993.
I store my junk on the server (I have just pruned it).
I do NOT use any inbox path, I have left it blank and I believe Mail defaults to \. I wonder if I should?

Regards,

John
jsamuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 03:49 AM   #17
che

You are propably wasting your time! Unfortunately. :-(

As Runbox is not fixing their imap server(s) for years you either have to live with the bugs or ...

old server: outdated & broken; loosing e-mails when you move mails to folders, messing up headers etc.
new server: already outdated broken, no ssl

no upport for common IMAP extensions like IDLE, sieve, etc.

Their Webmail is lagging behind!

Yeah, sad but true...

Last edited by che : 28 Jul 2007 at 03:54 AM.
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 10:27 AM   #18
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I'm not aware of a Sieve extension for IMAP. There is an IMAP extension for Sieve that allows rules to set IMAP flags. Sieve is a mail filtering language that applies to mail delivery. I'm not sure how that applies to an IMAP server. Do you have any information with regards to this?

Runbox is working on the IMAP server. Unfortunately to plan to move to the DBMail IMAP server ran into problems that have proven difficult to resolve. The decision was made to go back to Courier IMAP server but update to a current version ... one that does support IDLE. Work has begun on this version.

The only significant problem that I'm aware of with the old Courier IMAP server is that it can mess up the Time/Date information on uploaded messages. This only effects the folder listings in the web mail. It has no impact for users using IMAP clients.

There have been reported problems with moving messages using the DBMail IMAP server but I'm not aware of any with the old Courier IMAP server. If you've had a problem losing messages with the Courier IMAP server could you provide the details ... or if you have a Support Ticket # that I could reference would be helpful.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 08:05 PM   #19
che

Well, I had all kind of problems with both the old and the new imap server in the past. I reported them several times to support long time ago. I don't know the ticket #.

Anyway, I am glad that Runbox is preparing a new imap server. But WHEN is it ready? Do we have to wait another three years? Sorry, I don't like webmail, so imap is the only option for me.

Filtering is not smart enough, so sieve would be quite handy.

About sieve: Well, there are IMAP servers with a LDA that supports sieve. Cyrus and I think dovecot (plugin?).
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 08:38 PM   #20
jsamuelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by carverrn View Post
I'm not aware of a Sieve extension for IMAP. There is an IMAP extension for Sieve that allows rules to set IMAP flags. Sieve is a mail filtering language that applies to mail delivery. I'm not sure how that applies to an IMAP server. Do you have any information with regards to this?

Runbox is working on the IMAP server. Unfortunately to plan to move to the DBMail IMAP server ran into problems that have proven difficult to resolve. The decision was made to go back to Courier IMAP server but update to a current version ... one that does support IDLE. Work has begun on this version.

The only significant problem that I'm aware of with the old Courier IMAP server is that it can mess up the Time/Date information on uploaded messages. This only effects the folder listings in the web mail. It has no impact for users using IMAP clients.

There have been reported problems with moving messages using the DBMail IMAP server but I'm not aware of any with the old Courier IMAP server. If you've had a problem losing messages with the Courier IMAP server could you provide the details ... or if you have a Support Ticket # that I could reference would be helpful.

Regards,
Rich
Hi Rich,

Support ticket was 2007072610000041.

IDLE support is huge news, maybe you should post a progress report separately, I am fairly sure that there are a few people who would be very happy to hear this.

When you say, going back to Courier, the implication is that you would rather stay with DBMail...

Regards,

John
Old 29 Jul 2007, 11:18 AM   #21
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsamuelson View Post
When you say, going back to Courier, the implication is that you would rather stay with DBMail...
Sorry ... I didn't mean to imply that at all. I just meant that since the DBMail IMAP server has not worked out as planned the decision was made to update to a more current version of the Courier IMAP server.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 11:41 PM   #22
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
When we considered alternatives to our current (old) Courier-based IMAP server Dbmail stood out because it stores all message-related data in a database which in theory should make it easy to fit with the Runbox system.

Conventionally, IMAP servers store messages and metadata in each user's home directory, while the Runbox system stores all metadata in a database while only the actual messages are stored in the home directories -- allowing for quick retrieval of folder contents from the database.

However, Dbmail proved to have serious memory and CPU usage issues and other bugs that unfortunately made it inviable as a default IMAP server for Runbox.

We have therefore decided to give the new Courier version a try. Courier is an established IMAP server and is much improved since the 2001 version we're running.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 12:52 AM   #23
jsamuelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
We have therefore decided to give the new Courier version a try. Courier is an established IMAP server and is much improved since the 2001 version we're running.
Crikey I would hope so - 6 years of bugfixes and updates? Bring it on, quicker the better!

I repeat my offer made elsewhere of helping troubleshoot any Apple Mail issues.

Regards,

John